BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-27-2023, 01:06 PM   #1
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

Glow Plugs N57

Finally got around to replacing the glow plugs. Got a deal from rock auto. The hardest part for me was removing those stupid connectors they do not come off easy, once I got the hang of it they came off without much hassle

Glowplugs 1-4 are straight forward, pretty straight forward when you remove the foam peice and intake and other common parts.

5-6 required a few wires to be unplugged and a torx screw to be removed just enough to get access to the connector and get a deep 10mm socket down there.

Surprisingly the glow plugs were not really torqued down much.

All 6 plugs came out wet with diesel or oil or something, I was very surprised… hope that is not a bad thing.

I didn’t change the glowplug module, too pricey for a part to change out for maintenance, don’t think it can damage the new glowplugs either.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:38 PM   #2
x5d4me
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Should hve made a DIY i wanna tackle it myself
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:13 AM   #3
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

The connectors was the hardest part. Really nothing comes off besides the engine cover and maybe the air filter box and air filter tubes.

I’ve seen some people struggle with getting them off so it’s better to replace them at 100k then Letting them sit longer might get them seized. A seized glow plug that breaks off is a nightmare. That is the biggest risk.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 01:05 PM   #4
x5d4me
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
The connectors was the hardest part. Really nothing comes off besides the engine cover and maybe the air filter box and air filter tubes.

I’ve seen some people struggle with getting them off so it’s better to replace them at 100k then Letting them sit longer might get them seized. A seized glow plug that breaks off is a nightmare. That is the biggest risk.
Did you use an oem bmw specific glowplug sockets? What specs did you use,
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 06:56 PM   #5
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

I beleive I used a 10mm deep socket. For torque it was 1/4 turn after I felt resistance, similar to the breakaway Torque. I remember the torque not being really high, I have torque wrenches but I’ve never torqued spark plugs
So decided not to torque these. I did use a Amazon generic Glowplug connector puller. That Or a long reach Needle nose pliers. Some people on YouTube remove them by hand, I struggled to get all 6 off. I had To pull harder then I wanted too, I was sure I was going to break one… but I was lucky nothing broke.

I have changed an injector, and I would recommend torquing down the 1 bolt,
Because there is a crush copper washer that needs to be pressed.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 02:37 PM   #6
bigozuk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2016 Sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post

I had envisaged that replacing the glow plugs would have involved stripping a lot more than just cover and air box…assumed inlet manifold etc would need removed.

Are the replacements plug and play or do you need to code them to the car?
Appreciate 0