BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
Oilfun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5d

Diesel Improvements

Ive looked and looked but it seems that many diesel owners are "put it in drive and go" owners and the few in between are motor heads, a few... much of which are M57 guys

Ok a few concerns, is there a water separator on this thing? (Appears not)
Whats the micron on the filter? Nominal/absolute? Alarming, I received a letter a while ago stating that they will extend the warranty on the CP4. Makes me wonder, the same/similar pump is used in many trucks and other vehicles w/o issues pushing much more power but they drop like flies in the BMW?

Has anyone added a dual filter setup or entirely gotten rid of the stock filter?

Does the stocker have a heater built in? Or is there a heater hiding before it?

I'm thinking about deleting the stocker and adding dual filters up front near the grill as there is a lot of real estate up there. But will the stock fuel pump be able to push through a 2 micron (absolute) filter? Fine, I'll add a Fass...

Enough for now, next topic is oil bypass, ABC, turbo, injectors, tranny and much more...
      11-15-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

It won’t be necessary to add a dual stage fuel filter, at least with our x5, if you replace your filters routinely ie 20k-30k miles and pump at reputable fuel station. Unless your driving 20,000 miles or using 1000 gallons/year is only when you need to add large/external diesel filter system.

Also the front bumper even it appears to have real estate it hardly can fit anything larger then a fist, I added a oil vapor separator (size of a soda can) and thought it would be great routing there, boy I was wrong, the catch can wont fit and mount properly not even the hose won’t even route that well. I just left mounted near the strut tower and call it good.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #3
Oilfun
United_States
Rep

Please explain this PCV reroute?

Not only lots, but tone of real estate up font, the dealer thought I was a Martian when I asked for him to pop the hood..
      11-15-2019, 02:21 AM   #4
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfun View Post
Please explain this PCV reroute?

Not only lots, but tone of real estate up font, the dealer thought I was a Martian when I asked for him to pop the hood..
I when thru a couple of revisions ended up with BMS oil vapor separator and rigged up a system to work for n57, see my post below.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1618734

Last edited by Mr.47; 11-15-2019 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #5
Oilfun
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
I when thru a couple of revisions ended up with BMS oil vapor separator and rigged up a system to work for n57, see my post below.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1618734
Wow, great writeup...
      11-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
spyderdoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d. 2016 Porsche GT4

I have a 2018 F15d with 22k mi. I've already heavily modified it. I've done all my own wrenching on it. Can PM me anytime.

Great resource is FB page called North American BMW Diesel Owners Group. More M57 owners on there, but more and more N57 owners and info popping up all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 11:48 PM   #7
Oilfun
United_States
Rep

Oil Bypass Filter Installed

So I pulled the trigger and got a an oil bypass filter from Insane Diesel. I opted to get the bigger filter "X2" or "EXTREME X2" which is rated for 8-16 quarts. The X1 is naturally smaller and is rated for 1-8 quarts, I'm a go big or go home kinda person.

Plumbing: I used the oil pressure sensor port on the driver side of the engine below the stock oil filter; the port size is M12x1.5

This adapter WILL NOT fit. It makes the stock sensor stick out too far and interfere with the air filter box.

Instead you need an adapter which I scored from Hard Motorsports, it has 2 M12x1.5 ports and 1 - 1/8 NPT port. It would be nice if someone developed a M12x1.5(male) to M12x1.5(female) 45 degree or even a 90 degree fitting and then you can use the generic fitting that didn't fit.
https://www.hardmotorsport.com/rally...adapter-block/

This is the kit- note the billet oil fill cap for the return line.

NOTE: while working be aware of the exposed electrical contact point which I circled in red - I found out the "hot" way.... Lesson learned - now I share it with you.

If you notice the kit I received came with 4 - 1/8 NPT to 6AN fittings, however the filter housing calls for 2 - 1/4NPT fittings. Which I cannot totally blame Insane Diesel for, the kit I ordered was the "BMW Kit" which originally came with the EXTREME 1 filter housing which may be 1/8 NPT? I have a ton of these fittings laying around so it didn't matter to me, but me being inquisitive - I called Insane Diesel to confirm that the X2 is 1/4 NPT.

After a 30-40 minute phone call with the owner, I was very very happy with the wealth of knowledge he had. I admit, I'm an Amsoil user - I have their bypass on my Cummins and after going over the history of Insane Diesel and the filter itself the $500 bullet became much easier to swallow to the point I will probably swap out the Amsoil bypass on the cummins for one of these bypasses. Plus when you take this filter housing out of the box, automatically you can feel the quality. Let me add, American made......

https://insanediesel.com/products/bm...filtration-kit

I have 35,000 miles on the odometer - about 5,000 on this oil change. I took a sample of the oil before adding the bypass and will be taking a sample in the next few weeks to compare the the two samples (stand by for an oil analysis update)

The Zinc bracket came with the kit, I used spare metal in the garage to fab up a mount. You really don't need to weld anything like I did.

12-04-2021, 11:51 PM   #8
Oilfun
United_States
Rep

12-09-2021, 04:25 AM   #9
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfun View Post
Does the stocker have a heater built in? Or is there a heater hiding before it?
Yes, there is a heater attached to the filter. How well it works, I don't know, but I've had mine outside multiple nights below zero and never had an issue with starting.

Theres not a lot of support for the 8spd mated to the N57 yet. IIRC XHP release a trans tune earlier this year but haven't heard much on it. I've been waiting for Sutphin to release something, but last I remember he ran into issues with the app he was using (licensing or something).

If you're on Bookface join the North American BMW Diesel Owners Group. As stated before it's mostly M57 guys, but theres a lot of knowledge about the d there. The N57 is starting to increase in popularity as the F15 has come down in price, but its still too recent that it hit the "affordable enough to start fucking with" range.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0