BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Replacing Batteries...

I searched and found a few threads regarding why there are two batteries, recommended replacement batteries, whether you need to register or not, etc.....but I couldn't find what I was searching for....

My car has 2 batteries, like I assume everyone else with a F85 has. Since it is winter and quite cold, I figured I would check the dates on the batteries, as I recently bought the car.

Based on the pics below, it appears the 50ah is dated from the end of 2014. (My car is a 2015) So it is safe to bet that the aux battery is original.

The main battery was dated the end of 2016. So getting near the end of its life as well.

Anyway, I was planning on just replacing the aux battery for now, based solely on it age. However, I can not find if the aux battery needs to be registered to the vehicle? And if so, how?

I have never seen any of the battery registration tools (Carly) ask you if you are programming the main battery or the aux battery...??

Anyway, any thoughts on how to properly register the aux to the car?? (Closest Dealer to me is over 10hrs away)

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I just replaced my main battery last week as I was getting the battery discharge warning on the dash for 3 or 4 days. Load tested the batteries and both passed albeit on the low end. Ordered a main battery as there were none in stock at dealer. Then my HVAC fan stopped working (it was minus 35 C last week!) That is dumb way BMW programmes the car to save power. No HVAC fan unless you run defrost. Heated seats and everything else seemed to work. Installed new main battery and fan started working.
I did not register the battery as I have not had any warnings. On my old E90 M3 there was an error code, so I took it to an Indy shop for registration.

Do I need to program the battery if the car has not "noticed"?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3085258 View Post
I just replaced my main battery last week as I was getting the battery discharge warning on the dash for 3 or 4 days. Load tested the batteries and both passed albeit on the low end. Ordered a main battery as there were none in stock at dealer. Then my HVAC fan stopped working (it was minus 35 C last week!) That is dumb way BMW programmes the car to save power. No HVAC fan unless you run defrost. Heated seats and everything else seemed to work. Installed new main battery and fan started working.
I did not register the battery as I have not had any warnings. On my old E90 M3 there was an error code, so I took it to an Indy shop for registration.

Yes, the car changes the charging profile based on the age of the battery. If you do not register the battery, you will shorten the life of the new battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3085258 View Post

Yes, the car changes the charging profile based on the age of the battery. If you do not register the battery, you will shorten the life of the new battery.
Agreed.

The new battery you put in will work, but the car will be overcharging the new battery as it still thinks it is the old weak battery.

It will work, but you will definitely shorten the battery life.

Lots of cheap apps to re-register the battery. All of which are cheaper than having the dealer do it. (Unless you have a friendly dealer).

Carly is probably the easiest, imo.
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0