BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Markbebb
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 4d m

My wheel was hanging off

Thought I'd share this as in 30 years of driving. It's never happed to me and I can't decide if it's dealer incompetency or someone's tried to kill me.

I've had my approved used 2 year old f15 for 3 months and covered 2k miles. I drove from my house today and after 1/2 mile it felt like the back of the car was falling to bits and banging. After getting back home I've found 3 wheel nuts missing and the other 2, including the locking one virtually hanging off. I've subsequently found 1 of the bolts on my drive and one down my street.

Initially I thought someone has tried to steal the wheels as all the nuts are lose of missing but really, hows the locking nut hanging off too? I know the dealer took the wheels off to refurb and I'm now thinking they didn't put them back on correctly. But, how do 2 of the 5 lose nuts fall off at the same time?

Whats freaked me out a bit is yesterday I was on the motorway for 200 miles averaging 70mph with wife and kids in the car.

WTF
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Sounds like someone didn't torque it down correctly. I would talk to dealer about this; they probably won't admit to anything, but might still give you new lugs and try to "make it right."

I had a problem yesterday, the coupler on my trailer I rented decided it didn't want to say attached anymore; I was doing 70 mph basically towing the trailer by the chains. I was able to safely stop, unfortunately there is a huge gash on my rear bumper now when the trailer slammed into my car as I was trying to slow it down safely.
      05-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

If your didn't notice any vibrations yesterday, I'd say someone is trying to kill you!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:49 AM   #4
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

I would ask for a new wheel also cause with it barely hanging on I’m sure the holes were probably damaged / oblonged slightly from the wheel having so excessive movement.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:02 AM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbebb View Post
Thought I'd share this as in 30 years of driving. It's never happed to me and I can't decide if it's dealer incompetency or someone's tried to kill me.

I've had my approved used 2 year old f15 for 3 months and covered 2k miles. I drove from my house today and after 1/2 mile it felt like the back of the car was falling to bits and banging. After getting back home I've found 3 wheel nuts missing and the other 2, including the locking one virtually hanging off. I've subsequently found 1 of the bolts on my drive and one down my street.

Initially I thought someone has tried to steal the wheels as all the nuts are lose of missing but really, hows the locking nut hanging off too? I know the dealer took the wheels off to refurb and I'm now thinking they didn't put them back on correctly. But, how do 2 of the 5 lose nuts fall off at the same time?

Whats freaked me out a bit is yesterday I was on the motorway for 200 miles averaging 70mph with wife and kids in the car.

WTF
I kind of doubt that if they were under torqued so much as to come off they would stay attached for 2000 miles with no issues.

And from just one wheel. I've had this happen to me before in a vehicle after I did some service to it and I forgot to torque one wheel down and I knew it within the first drive. It felt like a flat.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
Markbebb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

WTF
I kind of doubt that if they were under torqued so much as to come off they would stay attached for 2000 miles with no issues.

And from just one wheel. I've had this happen to me before in a vehicle after I did some service to it and I forgot to torque one wheel down and I knew it within the first drive. It felt like a flat.
Quote:
Quote:

WTF

Update after BMW emergency service attended:

one bolt head sheered off so needs to be drilled out. They have seen this quite a lot with wheels that are painted. The holes where the bolts go should not be painted apparently. The wheel heats up and expands, bolts don't grip onto the paint and the come lose. He attended a 3 series last week with same issue after the guy had his wheels painted by a mate. Note, my wheels were originally standard colour and I had BMW paint them black.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:14 AM   #7
Markbebb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

WTF

Quote:
Quote:

WTF

BMW emergency services attend:

Seen this a lot apparently. Where the bolt meets the wheel should not be painted. wheel heats up and bolts can't bite on the paint. He attended 3 series last week where the guy had his mate paint the wheels. Same issue.

Bmw painted my wheels black from the original colour.

unfortunately for me one of the bolts had snapped and needs to be drilled out. All the others had to be re torqued.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #8
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

So...BMW dealer paints and mounts your OEM wheels then this happens. Are the picking up the tab, or maybe it’s too soon to tell? It sounds like they should, or at least “help you” with the bill.

Glad everyone is safe though, that’s scary.
      06-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

WTF

Quote:
Quote:

WTF

Seen this a lot apparently. Where the bolt meets the wheel should not be painted. wheel heats up and bolts can't bite on the paint. He attended 3 series last week where the guy had his mate paint the wheels. Same issue.

unfortunately for me one of the bolts had snapped and needs to be drilled out. All the others had to be re torqued.
Just glad to hear that you and your family are safe. In the end, that is what really matters.
Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
      06-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #10
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

I'm glad you and your loved ones are safe. My attitude with others work is trust, but verify.

My wife once said, you are too OCD. I said, "True, how many times would you like me to verify the landing gear are down on the aircraft you're in?"

I've read on many places that wheel stud/bolt should be retorqued after 50-100 miles.
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
      06-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComasF15 View Post
I'm glad you and your loved ones are safe. My attitude with others work is trust, but verify.

My wife once said, you are too OCD. I said, "True, how many times would you like me to verify the landing gear are down on the aircraft you're in?"

I've read on many places that wheel stud/bolt should be retorqued after 50-100 miles.
My friend owns a tire shop, he has us come back in for re-torque after 100km.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #12
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:

Curious, how did this pan out?
      06-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #13
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Broken lugs feels like someone use an airgun instead of a torque wrench to tighten, repeatedly. Repeated stress on the lugs...