BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Tditchmondx5
New Member
Tditchmondx5's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: Bmw x5
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Painting exhaust tips black??

I have a white 2015 x5 m package and wanted to get the exhaust tips painted black. Wondering if anyone that has done that has pictures?? And What shops would anyone recommend to get that done in the Vancouver bc, lower mainland area??
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Dirty Cash
USAF Retired
Dirty Cash's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: F15.50i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cashville

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's one of the simplest DIY's you can do.

Get some VHT paint, masking tape and some good masking paper (or newspaper) and go to town.

***Rubber gloves and a well ventaliated area while painting should go without saying, but...***

Of course, having the exhaust tips pulled and prepped/painted is probably the way to go if you know how or want to get that deep. But, it can be done with careful masking and application of several light coats until you achieve the look you want.
Attached Images
     

Last edited by Dirty Cash; 08-09-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Appreciate 5
d_v_o_1103.00
1230vani319.50
DuSh1103.50

      08-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major
Maverik259's Avatar
United_States
543
Rep
1,319
Posts

Drives: F15 50i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Nice!
__________________
'07 Yamaha R1 (sold)
'06 C55 AMG (sold)
'14 X5 50i, RC Ultimate, MP black kidney grills, MP pedals, MP kick plates, F85 Nappa knee bolsters, IND Black Roundels, M Side Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #4
clemsonee
Private
clemsonee's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X35d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Did you do any other prep work besides masking such as using a brake cleaner to remove soot or sand the pipe at all or just start spraying once you had a clean surface?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Dirty Cash
USAF Retired
Dirty Cash's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: F15.50i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cashville

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonee View Post
Did you do any other prep work besides masking such as using a brake cleaner to remove soot or sand the pipe at all or just start spraying once you had a clean surface?
I didn't do any prep work outside of making sure the tips were clean (just washed the X as normal and made sure the tips were dry inside and out). Since the VHT contains a primer, I skipped any sanding of the surface (mine were in decent condition).
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Kzang
Brigadier General
Kzang's Avatar
2347
Rep
4,510
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Many have done a DIY on the exhaust tips myself included using VHT engine enamel spray paint 4 coats ( about 10 minutes wait time for each coat to dry ) and 3 coats of VHT clear coat.

Since I have the MPE exhaust, I was able to remove the tips for painting and I did sand the surface on my tips and wiped it clean with rubbing alcohol.




















__________________
2015 F15 X5 35i Msport Space Grey M Performance parts MPPK, MPE
Appreciate 4
Jenya B114.50
DuSh1103.50

      01-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
99
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
This looks fantastic.

Did you use the gloss black engine enamel and then the gloss clear on top? Or did you do the flat black enamel then the gloss clear?

Looking at the different options here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPCRE0...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Many have done a DIY on the exhaust tips myself included using VHT engine enamel spray paint 4 coats ( about 10 minutes wait time for each coat to dry ) and 3 coats of VHT clear coat.

Since I have the MPE exhaust, I was able to remove the tips for painting and I did sand the surface on my tips and wiped it clean with rubbing alcohol.




















Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
MN2///M
Captain
MN2///M's Avatar
United_States
449
Rep
833
Posts

Drives: very fast!
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Taking the tips to a powder coat shop would be another option; might hold up better in the long run.
__________________
2003 BMW 330i
2016 BMW M4 - ED May 2016, PCD Aug 2016
2017 X5 xDrive35i - PCD Jan2017
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
Kzang
Brigadier General
Kzang's Avatar
2347
Rep
4,510
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
This looks fantastic.

Did you use the gloss black engine enamel and then the gloss clear on top? Or did you do the flat black enamel then the gloss clear?

Looking at the different options here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPCRE0...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!!
Thanks and yes, I used the gloss black VHT Engine Enamel and then Gloss Clear on top. I sanded the chrome surface and did 4 coats of the black gloss with about 10 min dry time in between coats and then applied 4 coats of Clear coat of the same brand.

One tip is to spray lightly at first and move the spray can fairly quickly so that you aren't over spraying certain spots. smooth consistent movements is key for a nice paint job.
__________________
2015 F15 X5 35i Msport Space Grey M Performance parts MPPK, MPE
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
CeeTeeX5
Major
757
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
Taking the tips to a powder coat shop would be another option; might hold up better in the long run.
It would definitely hold up better but those of us with stock exhausts do not have tips that can be removed without sawing them off of the muffler. Which is why those that do not have the MPE are spraying them while still on the car.
Appreciate 1
Kzang2347.00

      01-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
anon1000
Private
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Cash View Post
It's one of the simplest DIY's you can do.

Get some VHT paint, masking tape and some good masking paper (or newspaper) and go to town.

***Rubber gloves and a well ventaliated area while painting should go without saying, but...***

Of course, having the exhaust tips pulled and prepped/painted is probably the way to go if you know how or want to get that deep. But, it can be done with careful masking and application of several light coats until you achieve the look you want.
I removed the bumber, way easier that way, and you get a better finish.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #12
CeeTeeX5
Major
757
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
I removed the bumber, way easier that way, and you get a better finish.
How difficult is removing the bumper? Have a DIY guide?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
Wtfitzvi
New Member
Wtfitzvi's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: F15 M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ny

iTrader: (0)

Can the exhaust tips be removed easily? Or is it very labor intensive?
__________________
18 F15 M Sport
15 GTR
15 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #14
Kzang
Brigadier General
Kzang's Avatar
2347
Rep
4,510
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
Can the exhaust tips be removed easily? Or is it very labor intensive?
Only if they are M Performance exhaust. Otherwise you would have to cut them off or remove the whole muffler system.. Or just remove the rear bumper.
__________________
2015 F15 X5 35i Msport Space Grey M Performance parts MPPK, MPE
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST