BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Hello all, 2014 X5 sDrive

Been searching and researching for the past 2 weeks and no luck. Got a drivetrain malfunction after a long trip from TX to AZ. OBD reader indicated misfires in Cylinder 1 and 2. Purchased new coils and spark plugs from FCP Euro. Installed everything without a problem. Turn the vehicle on and same problem continues. I rechecked if maybe I had overtightened them and no all good. Finally took it into a shop. My mechanic is saying there is no spark coming out from 1 and 2 spark plugs. Coils were swapped and they all work pass cylinder 3. Seems like cylinders 1 and 2 are deactivated. Could this be a fuse issue or maybe DME issue. I'm lost and need help please. X5 is not tuned. Injectors were also checked and they all seem to be fine. No fuel leaking or any indication they might be bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Did you inspect the wiring harness going to the coils? Something work loose or mice perhaps?
Appreciate 1
Bigjoe17147.00
      01-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Did you inspect the wiring harness going to the coils? Something work loose or mice perhaps?
Yes we checked all that. Unsure if for safety those cylinders were shut off and there's some type of reset or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

What kind of coils? Exact same thing happened to me when I put in new Bosch coils that were made in Slovenia... Half of them were bad out of the box, replaced them all with Eldor brand coils and had zero issues
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
What kind of coils? Exact same thing happened to me when I put in new Bosch coils that were made in Slovenia... Half of them were bad out of the box, replaced them all with Eldor brand coils and had zero issues
It's the pack from FCP Euro. Direct Ignition Coil Delphi and Spark Plug BOS-0242145515 Bosch. The coils work if switch around to Cylinders 3-6. Spark plugs as well. It the actual cylinders 1 and 2 that won't have a spark at all from the sparks. The mechanic lifts the coils while the car is running and you can hear the spark from 3-6 while 1-2 don't work at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by faboR6 View Post
It's the pack from FCP Euro. Direct Ignition Coil Delphi and Spark Plug BOS-0242145515 Bosch. The coils work if switch around to Cylinders 3-6. Spark plugs as well. It the actual cylinders 1 and 2 that won't have a spark at all from the sparks. The mechanic lifts the coils while the car is running and you can hear the spark from 3-6 while 1-2 don't work at all.
So if the new coils work in other cylinders and no coils work in cylinders 1 and 2, then it's not the coils or the plugs. Did the control wires for 1 & 2 get damaged somehow? If not, then it pretty much has to be something in the DME. Or maybe those two cylinders share a knock sensor and that sensor's bad and giving non-stop false knock detected signals.
      01-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #7
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:
So if the new coils work in other cylinders and no coils work in cylinders 1 and 2, then it's not the coils or the plugs. Did the control wires for 1 & 2 get damaged somehow? If not, then it pretty much has to be something in the DME. Or maybe those two cylinders share a knock sensor and that sensor's bad and giving non-stop false knock detected signals.
My guess is the DME. The wires that connect to the coils all look normal. The strange thing about reading other post it that at least a code for the DME would pop up. And as of now only misfire in cylinder 1 and 2 come up. Here's screen shots from the update today. The DME was reset today as well and it showed success.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My guess is the DME. The wires that connect to the coils all look normal. The strange thing about reading other post it that at least a code for the DME would pop up. And as of now only misfire in cylinder 1 and 2 come up. Here's screen shots from the update today. The DME was reset today as well and it showed success.
Where would the knock sensors be located? It appears that something just completely shut down down two cylinders since the first drive train malfunction error came up and the car started shaking and going into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #9
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Where would the knock sensors be located? It appears that something just completely shut down down two cylinders since the first drive train malfunction error came up and the car started shaking and going into limp mode.
I'm not sure where they're at, or even how many of them there are. I'd be interested to see if swapping a couple of them around would make one or more different cylinders misfire. That would identify your problem.

I had my F15 go into limp mode when I got on it really hard with some bad gas, so I know that if the knock sensor(s) detect a certain number of knocks in a certain time period, the DME will shut one or more cylinders down.
      01-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like there's 2 of them, on the side of the block about midway down. It doesn't look like they'd be easy to get at, to swap them.
      01-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #11
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like there's 2 of them, on the side of the block about midway down. It doesn't look like they'd be easy to get at, to swap them.
That does look like a hard spot to reach. At this point I hope is more of a DME issue as it's easier to get to and fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #12
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That does look like a hard spot to reach. At this point I hope is more of a DME issue as it's easier to get to and fix.
DME might be easier to get at but it's also going to be a lot more expensive if it has to be replaced.

I think I'd test those control wires to cylinders 1 & 2. They could have been knawed-on by some critter while you were on your trip. Always eliminate the cheaper, easier causes first.

When you clear the codes and restart it, does it immediately start misfiring and go into limp mode?
      01-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #13
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
DME might be easier to get at but it's also going to be a lot more expensive if it has to be replaced.

I think I'd test those control wires to cylinders 1 & 2. They could have been knawed-on by some critter while you were on your trip. Always eliminate the cheaper, easier causes first.

When you clear the codes and restart it, does it immediately start misfiring and go into limp mode?
Yes I will clear the code and turn on the vehicle and immediately the drivetrain malfunction turns on with the CEL as well and car starts to misfire.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #14
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Is this the wiring your talking about ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #15
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wouldn't I be getting some type of DME fault code or maybe knock sensor. The only two codes I get are the misfires for 1 and 2. I'm going back and checking the wires and trace them back hoping it might be that and nothing else.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #16
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, the wires that go into the plugs that plug into the tops of the coils. I would focus on those.
      01-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #17
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I'd double check that ground connection. Looks like one ground for 2 coils?
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #18
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, the wires that go into the plugs that plug into the tops of the coils. I would focus on those.
I will check tomorrow, I had gone over it before Installed everything back but wouldn't hurt to go one by one and those two cylinders. Thanks for the advice I'll keep you guys updated see if that works.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #19
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wouldn't I be getting some type of DME fault code or maybe knock sensor. The only two codes I get are the misfires for 1 and 2. I'm going back and checking the wires and trace them back hoping it might be that and nothing else.
It depends. If the DME gets no signals from one of the sensors or gets a value from the sensor that is out of range, it'd throw a code. If the physical mechanism of the sensor is wonky but the signal it's sending appears normal to the DME, the DME won't be able to figure it out.
      01-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #20
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I'd double check that ground connection. Looks like one ground for 2 coils?
Good call. Grounds deteriorate as vehicles age.
      01-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #21
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

FWIW - this sounds somewhat similar to a recent video I watched. It's on an older E36, but cylinder was dead and it wasn't plug or coil. It was coil driver, fixed by replacing a fuse in the DME.

01-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #22
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
FWIW - this sounds somewhat similar to a recent video I watched. It's on an older E36, but cylinder was dead and it wasn't plug or coil. It was coil driver, fixed by replacing a fuse in the DME.

Thank you this could be another option. My mechanic found one wire leading to cylinder 1s coil with a small split. He fixed it with electrical tape but still doing the same thing. He is still inspecting the rest of the harness as of now.
Appreciate 0