BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Opinion wanted on this 2017 X5

Hi everyone,

I'm about to go and see this guy - https://www.motorwerks.com/used-Barr...KR0C30H0X80614, but before wanted to get your opinion on the price. Do you guys think it worth 44k? It's not a CPO vehicle, but pretty good quipped one with a low mileage and 1 previous owner.

I've seen people recommend using vroom or similar services to evaluate on a price, but I don't think it's accurate. It gives me 37k.

I currently own 5 series with the same engine, so pretty familiar with the engine and issues it has.

Also do you think CPO worth paying extra nowadays?

Please share your opinion,
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

It all depends on which features are most desired for you specifically. This particular one is nothing special IMO, the only thing I would personally care is M-sport and driver assistance, but for example rear entertainment system is useless for me. Also missing LED headlights which would be a deal breaker in my case.Price wise seem to be on the higher end for the year, but mileage is pretty low.
Here is a CPO one for less, with slightly more miles but better equipped:
https://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/201...KR0C31H0V81961
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00
      09-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
IMHO it is work 35-40K not more.
I price 3 years old car at 40% msrp in private deal. That's my best win.
That being said, it's the best not the market, which will usually be around 55-60% in dealers.
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00
      09-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Price is high for a 2017 35i with those miles, IMO. It has some nice options but is also missing some key options that at least I'd want - Comfort Seats, Lighting Package (LED headlights). Cool color combo though.

I personally don't think CPO is worth the $ nowadays, unless you are piling on the miles. CPO used to be 2 years/50K miles, now it's just 1 year/unlimited miles. And it's by no means the same warranty as the original 4 year/50K mile warranty, it has many exclusions (I learned that first hand).

With that said, if you found the right X5 that checked your boxes and it happened to be CPO, I wouldn't dismiss it. My current X5 is CPO'd as it checked all my boxes, and dealers typically won't remove the certified status and lower the price.
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00
      09-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Price is high. I would not pay that much for an old model.
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00
      09-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

This F15 is missing the packages necessary to justify that higher than market price.

This vehicle might sell at this price, but, not to anyone that has done some due diligence.

Plenty of low mileage F15s with more of the popular options in the current market selling for less than what is on offer here.
      09-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #7
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

As said. Overpriced.
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00
      09-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #8
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

There’s also a horrible gash on the aluminum trim on the dashboard !!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #9
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
You should be getting a 50i for that price.
      10-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #10
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
You should be getting a 50i for that price.
I would like a bigger engine, but those horrible stories about N63 issues, kinda stopping me from going that way. I know that it has TU version of it, but still. If I was buying a new one, then yeah, I would pull a trigger on 4.4. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1nner View Post
I would like a bigger engine, but those horrible stories about N63 issues, kinda stopping me from going that way. I know that it has TU version of it, but still. If I was buying a new one, then yeah, I would pull a trigger on 4.4. Thanks!
The 'horrible stories' are from the E70 model. I had one of those for 5 years and speak from experience - despite all it's issues, and there were many, I still loved that thing to death. The F15 X5 with the upgraded motor (N63TU) is way more reliable. If you want the bigger motor, I wouldn't worry about the F15 model.

And thank you for calling it a 4.4 and not '5.0' like half the forum does (no different than all the 3.5i references, when it's really a 3.0).
Appreciate 3
      10-04-2020, 01:15 AM   #12
ProjektAutoScott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

That price is a little high, but in the ballpark for west coast AWD F15s right now. Everything is priced high right now, demand is high and inventory is low everywhere in the country. You'll notice that same trend as you try to find comparable cars. Private sellers are also high on price right now, use autotempest.com to search around you. Check Facebook marketplace, and classified sites near you as well.

Valuation tools of any kind are failing to keep up with price trends right now, likely because the market for used cars has been volatile since the beginning of COVID. Your best bet is to manually compare prices car to car.

Often times, posted internet prices are complete bullshit to get you in the door and dealers will tack on whatever fake fees they want after you arrive. If a price seems a little too good, ask them to send you a draft contract of sale, signed. If they won't do that they are going to take you for a ride when you get there, or they are lying about even having the car in the first place. It's becoming a plague among used dealers to operate like this, it drives me nuts.

In my opinion, CPO is fine sometimes. It can be a mild scam by the dealers to leverage price on an otherwise unworthy unit, and can be a total waste. I've made plenty of comments about it, many will disagree with me. Many people are also blinded by the idea of CPO, and can't fathom buying a car that isn't, which says a lot about how well it works as a money maker for franchise dealers. I've bought and seen plenty of prior-CPO cars from BMW group to resell here in UT, and oftentimes they have been in worse shape than comparable average units. Previous repairs to panels, bad paintwork, bandaids, etc.. At the end of the day, they are just auction cars with an expensive limited warranty.

May as well mention, you also can't count on CarFax for anything, and PLENTY of CPO cars will have accidents or damage reported, and unreported. Feel free to check BMW dealer's CPO inventory provided carfax reports if you don't believe me.

source if it matters to you: I operate an independent BMW service shop, and small used BMW dealership in UT.

Last edited by ProjektAutoScott; 10-04-2020 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00
      10-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #13
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektAutoScott View Post
That price is a little high, but in the ballpark for west coast AWD F15s right now. Everything is priced high right now, demand is high and inventory is low everywhere in the country. You'll notice that same trend as you try to find comparable cars. Private sellers are also high on price right now, use autotempest.com to search around you. Check Facebook marketplace, and classified sites near you as well.

Valuation tools of any kind are failing to keep up with price trends right now, likely because the market for used cars has been volatile since the beginning of COVID. Your best bet is to manually compare prices car to car.

Often times, posted internet prices are complete bullshit to get you in the door and dealers will tack on whatever fake fees they want after you arrive. If a price seems a little too good, ask them to send you a draft contract of sale, signed. If they won't do that they are going to take you for a ride when you get there, or they are lying about even having the car in the first place. It's becoming a plague among used dealers to operate like this, it drives me nuts.

In my opinion, CPO is fine sometimes. It can be a mild scam by the dealers to leverage price on an otherwise unworthy unit, and can be a total waste. I've made plenty of comments about it, many will disagree with me. Many people are also blinded by the idea of CPO, and can't fathom buying a car that isn't, which says a lot about how well it works as a money maker for franchise dealers. I've bought and seen plenty of prior-CPO cars from BMW group to resell here in UT, and oftentimes they have been in worse shape than comparable average units. Previous repairs to panels, bad paintwork, bandaids, etc.. At the end of the day, they are just auction cars with an expensive limited warranty.

May as well mention, you also can't count on CarFax for anything, and PLENTY of CPO cars will have accidents or damage reported, and unreported. Feel free to check BMW dealer's CPO inventory provided carfax reports if you don't believe me.

source if it matters to you: I operate an independent BMW service shop, and small used BMW dealership in UT.
Thank you for your input!!! Like you said, everything is priced high nowadays. We tried to buy a property this year, but it's just crazy, so we decided to wait.
I checked another CPO F15 recently. It has gone through a service, but they haven't detailed it yet. I was lucky seeing it before detailing. It looked to me, like previous owner hated it. Food was in every corner. Dog hairs etc etc.
I'm going to take my time for that "perfect" one Like we say in russian - your car will find you, if that makes sense.
Also now I'm kinda thinking about N63, after jiggz reply, will see
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #14
ProjektAutoScott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Also now I'm kinda thinking about N63, after jiggz reply, will see
Maintenance and fuel will be a bit pricier over time, but I think you'd appreciate the upgrade considering you are coming from a 535i. It's a serious step up in performance. 2016-2018 50i models have been very good to me overall. If you find a clean one near that same mileage you'll be very happy with it.
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00
      10-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep

This one is a most equipped I've seen so far in 150 miles range from my zip code - https://www.bmwfortwayne.com/used-Fo...KR0C54J0X92093
However 49k is overkill I think. And it's not even N63TU. I think the price should be in 40-45k range. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This one is a most equipped I've seen so far in 150 miles range from my zip code - https://www.bmwfortwayne.com/used-Fo...KR0C54J0X92093
However 49k is overkill I think. And it's not even N63TU. I think the price should be in 40-45k range. What do you think?
Agreed, still high given the model, miles, and options.

I think most CPO'd X5's listed by a BMW dealer are going to seem overpriced to most of us here. BMW seems to hold CPO in high regard, and charges accordingly.

With that being said, this X5 is a nice spec, color, miles, etc. Not loaded up but has all the stuff most people care about. Make 'em an offer - worst they can do is say no.
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00