BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2024, 08:15 PM   #1
drx4mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F98 X4MC

Faulty engine coolant temperature sensor?

Hey guys I'm having this issue recently that I cannot resolve. I'm getting a check engine light for P15e8 which is a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor.
I've bled both the high and low pressure coolant pumps over 10x according to the ISTA+ procedure guidelines, the fault code resolves for two days then comes back on after 30ish miles of driving.

I haven't tested the sensor yet because I assumed this was due to air in the coolant lines after installing upgraded stage 2 turbos. I recently purchased this car several days ago and I'm unsure if this was an issue prior to purchase.

The coolant system was pressure tested and showed no coolant leaks.

-Apart from this I'm getting a rough idle and poor gas mileage around 7-8mpg which seems odd given that was the average mileage I got from my F90 M5 with 800rwhp after typical city stop and go driving.

-The cars internal temperature sensor is also inaccurate, it starts out at 120F on a hot day and gradually decreases from there until about 10-15 degrees above what the outside temperature actually is.

-The AC and heat both are functioning perfectly fine when not set on automatic.

-I'm not sure what is and isn't related to the current check engine light issue, these are what I have observed from recent driving. Was wondering if anyone recently came across this issue as well or if anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate any help.
      05-09-2024, 06:37 AM   #2
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drx4mc View Post
Hey guys I'm having this issue recently that I cannot resolve. I'm getting a check engine light for P15e8 which is a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor.
I've bled both the high and low pressure coolant pumps over 10x according to the ISTA+ procedure guidelines, the fault code resolves for two days then comes back on after 30ish miles of driving.

I haven't tested the sensor yet because I assumed this was due to air in the coolant lines after installing upgraded stage 2 turbos. I recently purchased this car several days ago and I'm unsure if this was an issue prior to purchase.

The coolant system was pressure tested and showed no coolant leaks.

-Apart from this I'm getting a rough idle and poor gas mileage around 7-8mpg which seems odd given that was the average mileage I got from my F90 M5 with 800rwhp after typical city stop and go driving.

-The cars internal temperature sensor is also inaccurate, it starts out at 120F on a hot day and gradually decreases from there until about 10-15 degrees above what the outside temperature actually is.

-The AC and heat both are functioning perfectly fine when not set on automatic.

-I'm not sure what is and isn't related to the current check engine light issue, these are what I have observed from recent driving. Was wondering if anyone recently came across this issue as well or if anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate any help.
My first order of business would be to either test, or replace, the coolant temp sensor. That could have effect on some of the issues you're seeing. Have you read out what the sensor is actually reading for temp?
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 07:37 AM   #3
drx4mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebie3 View Post
My first order of business would be to either test, or replace, the coolant temp sensor. That could have effect on some of the issues you're seeing. Have you read out what the sensor is actually reading for temp?
Thanks for getting back to me, will place an order for one today.

I was monitoring the temperatures today while city driving, I was getting 103C from cold start to a high of about 106C.

Checked on the forums and I'm seeing that this falls within normal range?
      05-09-2024, 08:00 AM   #4
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Can you run any diagnostics on that sensor through ISTA when you run a scan? I haven't explored that side of the program yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:15 AM   #5
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me, will place an order for one today.

I was monitoring the temperatures today while city driving, I was getting 103C from cold start to a high of about 106C.

Checked on the forums and I'm seeing that this falls within normal range?
103C would not be normal for a cold start, that is normal operating temp once warm.
Appreciate 1
joebie3337.00
      05-09-2024, 02:07 PM   #6
drx4mc
Private First Class
Rep

I was fiddling with the hidden menu, trying to gain access which took awhile. I tried again now that Im better versed in accessing the menu and I'm reading 96C on a cold start, which also does not sound normal, as the oil temperature was reading close to the outside atmospheric temperature (76F).
      05-09-2024, 02:31 PM   #7
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
I was fiddling with the hidden menu, trying to gain access which took awhile. I tried again now that Im better versed in accessing the menu and I'm reading 96C on a cold start, which also does not sound normal, as the oil temperature was reading close to the outside atmospheric temperature (76F).
If the vehicle has been sitting a while the coolant and oil temps will be close to ambient. ~100C is way, way too hot, for this planet anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 08:23 AM   #8
drx4mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can you run any diagnostics on that sensor through ISTA when you run a scan? I haven't explored that side of the program yet.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any more specific information for this sensor through ISTA+, thats probably due to my lack of knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
If the vehicle has been sitting a while the coolant and oil temps will be close to ambient. ~100C is way, way too hot, for this planet anyway.
Finally was able to check this morning after having it sit overnight for 12hrs. Its reading 29C or 84F when ambient air is 51F.
I'll going to try replacing the sensor today and will keep you guys posted.
      05-11-2024, 07:48 AM   #9
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any more specific information for this sensor through ISTA+, thats probably due to my lack of knowledge.

Finally was able to check this morning after having it sit overnight for 12hrs. Its reading 29C or 84F when ambient air is 51F.
I'll going to try replacing the sensor today and will keep you guys posted.
I was looking too, but I wasn't connected to the car, I didn't see anything jump out at me. Might have some time to look today.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 08:49 AM   #10
drx4mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was looking too, but I wasn't connected to the car, I didn't see anything jump out at me. Might have some time to look today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
Strange turn of events, seems like a much bigger issue than I had thought originally. I did several hard resets through ISTA+ and Autel through a friend of mine. I managed to get the temperature sensor code and check engine light removed however they are both showing a Kombi Terminal 30 error which is for the instrument cluster.
Date and Time are not saved as well as trip mileage. I replaced and had a new battery reprogrammed as the previous battery was showing low health and this did not resolve the date/time issue.
I will leave the negative battery terminal removed for several hours to possibly reset the electrical components, then retest and report back.

Last edited by drx4mc; 05-11-2024 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
joebie3337.00
      05-15-2024, 07:35 AM   #11
drx4mc
Private First Class
Rep

(SOLVED)

We finally solved this issue, I wanted to give everyone an update to help someone else if they come across the same problem.

There ended up being a short behind the instrument cluster. An oem wire covering had come loose over time causing the wire to short whenever contact was being made.

This ended up causing the instrument cluster and several other fuses to blow.

Some issues I was experiencing was Kombi Terminal 30 error with lack of power and IHKA Terminal 30 lack of power along with a faulty temperature sensor and later an engine overheating warning.
joebie3337.00
      05-15-2024, 07:48 AM   #12
cutnsew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M

electrical gremlin. What a PITA. Thanks for posting a follow up, and glad you got it fixed!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 08:02 AM   #13
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
We finally solved this issue, I wanted to give everyone an update to help someone else if they come across the same problem.

There ended up being a short behind the instrument cluster. An oem wire covering had come loose over time causing the wire to short whenever contact was being made.

This ended up causing the instrument cluster and several other fuses to blow.

Some issues I was experiencing was Kombi Terminal 30 error with lack of power and IHKA Terminal 30 lack of power along with a faulty temperature sensor and later an engine overheating warning.
Nice!! Glad you got it figured out, what a random issue.
Appreciate 0