01-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
$450 is awfully steep for a small doughnut and a cheap jack

Where are people getting the spare for $150?

Wow, that's impressive that you were able to get that much in there with a full size spare. Our current stroller takes up the whole back of the X5 sideways now. There's no way that my family can give up 1/3rd of the already small trunk space for a spare if we'll be gone for a weekend road trip. If the tire can't be plugged by the local tire shop and the distance home is too far for the small doughnut spare, then we'll just be spending a couple extra days at our vacation location while the new tire ships!
Btw, mine is the OE compact spare, not a full size spare. I run staggered, so carrying a full size makes no sense.

I also was able to piece mine together for about $300 (preowned), though I've never seen a single used one for sale that was actually used.

Btw, this compact spare kit is the same between the F15 and E70/1 X5/6. So definitely look for a preowned one floating around on the E70 forums.

I did buy my scissors jack new though. Also decided not to buy the foam block nor the bar as I prefer to hold the items in separate bags and not 1 big block, and I had my own breaker bar. Saved a ton of money by simply buying just the wheel/tire and jack instead of the full kit.
      01-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #24
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
So, new shoes won't have run-flats, so was wondering if carrying a can of fix-a-flat was a good option. What are you guys doing?
It depends what the worst case scenario is for you.

I got a screw in the shoulder of a brand new 315 Pirelli RFT. Close to home so no emergency, but tire shop would not repair it because: 1) it's at a non-repairable location 2) Pirelli states their RFTs cannot be repaired at all. Tire shop would have to special order the tire, so I got another from Tirerack. It was a winter tire so BMW dealership might not even stock it. If I had been on a trip it would have been a real PITA.

So I plugged the tire myself with a noodle repair kit. The repair held fine for a few weeks until I got around to have the new one installed. BTW, trying to punch through an RFT tire is no joke, those things are TOUGH.

I don't travel far from civilization so in the car I just carry an air pump, Slime kit and emergency tire repair kit - and an old cell phone for 911 calls.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      01-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #25
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Get a spare, even if you don't have under trunk storage like if you have third-row seats or have the eDrive version. You can always just set it in the trunk. A fix-a-flat bottle isn't going to do you any good when you've ripped open your sidewall.
      01-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #26
FourDoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Btw, mine is the OE compact spare, not a full size spare. I run staggered, so carrying a full size makes no sense.

I also was able to piece mine together for about $300 (preowned), though I've never seen a single used one for sale that was actually used.

Btw, this compact spare kit is the same between the F15 and E70/1 X5/6. So definitely look for a preowned one floating around on the E70 forums.

I did buy my scissors jack new though. Also decided not to buy the foam block nor the bar as I prefer to hold the items in separate bags and not 1 big block, and I had my own breaker bar. Saved a ton of money by simply buying just the wheel/tire and jack instead of the full kit.
Oh I thought it was a full spare since it wasn't in the storage compartment. Do you have the 3rd row option in yours and is that why it's not in the storage compartment?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I carry a plug kit and a portable 12v compressor for those "emergencies".
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #28
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
Oh I thought it was a full spare since it wasn't in the storage compartment. Do you have the 3rd row option in yours and is that why it's not in the storage compartment?
correct, I have 3rd row.
      09-27-2022, 10:33 PM   #29
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

I know I'm beating a very long dead horse here but RFTs are replaced, not repaired if the tire shop pays attention to tire industry recommendations or their corporate rules. I worked for a car manufacturer and had some tire training when run flat tires were factory installed. The issue with RFTs is how low the pressure got and how far it was driven are unknowns (at least until satellite uplink full time car data reporting is a thing) that make a repair a chance for a liability on a vehicle that can go more than 45 MPH. If you have a puncture on an RFT then it gets replaced. The tire pressure sensors have a very small orifice to control pressure fluctuations from expected servicing. The sensors are often victims of sealant that plugs the orifice or gets through orifice and affects the pressure sensor internals. That is why the recommendation by some that liquid sealant repaired tires should have the sensor replaced. Some tire shops will not repair some higher performance tires with the top few speed rating levels. If you drive 120+ mph and a tire fails that hasn't been repaired then shame on you. If the tire has been repaired then shame and blame on tire shop.

Last edited by suitedcboy; 09-28-2022 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0