BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #23
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
Most likely. That was my case. Along with oxygen sensors etc.
Is there a reason these injectors go out? I have not felt any issues with mine on startup. is it because of bad fuel or not putting correct octane gas?
      11-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #24
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmansiddiqui95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
Most likely. That was my case. Along with oxygen sensors etc.
Is there a reason these injectors go out? I have not felt any issues with mine on startup. is it because of bad fuel or not putting correct octane gas?
Bad fuel. Octane number has nothing to do with the fuel purity/quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #25
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14' F15 X5 35i x

Is there a way to diagnose an injector with the Foxwell, can I possibly plug in and monitor them, or see if they are working as desired?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #26
tukon
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 (F15)

I just got a 2018 X5 with only 32K miles on it, but it does seem to exhibit this issue on first start in the morning. I checked via OBD and no codes are being thrown but it seems to bog down while backing out of the garage (rpms go very low then spike back up). By the time I'm at the top of the driveway it goes away completely, so wondering if this is anything to worry about...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 10:30 AM   #27
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Going to bring this thread back up, the car actually stalled twice this weekend when starting it up. The car was actually left outside overnight, and it was alot colder then the car usually gets at night.

I tend to lean to this being a vacuum leak. SEE HERE --> http://https://www.bimmerfest.com/th...g-out.1428592/

I'm uncertain as to what software the vehicle is running? (read software update can fix)
I don't have any injector codes popping up?

This thread states software & injectors, however I am not going to throw parts at it...-->http://https://f15.bimmerpost.com/fo...+on+cold+start

The two codes that were stored that could be a possibility are:

1C3101 - Engine oil pressure sensor. Plausibility. Pressure too high before engine start.
CD0420- ZGM, FlexRay Controller signaling fault.

There were some other codes, but have nothing to do with the motor, alarm code, etc..

I have a Foxwell scanner, that I am sure I am not using it to it's full capability, any help would be appreciated. If I could scan upon startup and check things that would help, I'd hope...

Well, I dug this up out of another forum search...
See pic attached...
Attached Images

Last edited by dr_greenthumb; 04-05-2022 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 06:30 AM   #28
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cleared all codes, cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors and added a fresh air filter.

Started the car a little different, turned the car on, turned HVAC off and gave it 5 seconds before starting and no stutter...

Will continue to record these instances, if the issue comes back I have new coils/sparks which I will install before seeking further assistance...

I am wondering if clearing the codes was the main factor here?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #29
Turtlekid95
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
Had this exact issue and replaced coils and plugs and haven't had an issue since. Car has a little over 150,000 miles. Still had original plugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #30
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlekid95 View Post
Had this exact issue and replaced coils and plugs and haven't had an issue since. Car has a little over 150,000 miles. Still had original plugs.
I might do coil's and plugs this weekend! Fingers Crossed! THX

What did you gap the plugs at?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:10 PM   #31
firstbimmer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 & '15 f15 X5 35i x

There is another old thread on here with same issue. Multiple people, me included, had issue resolve completely with software update at dealer. I was extremely skeptical but have never had issue reappear in over a year since software update. Back when i had the issue, it was always at cold start and got so bad that car would sometimes die due to the bog and sudden drop in revs. I have zero understanding why the update worked, but it did. That thread has to be on here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 07:19 AM   #32
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbimmer View Post
There is another old thread on here with same issue. Multiple people, me included, had issue resolve completely with software update at dealer. I was extremely skeptical but have never had issue reappear in over a year since software update. Back when i had the issue, it was always at cold start and got so bad that car would sometimes die due to the bog and sudden drop in revs. I have zero understanding why the update worked, but it did. That thread has to be on here somewhere.
I have read that, what is the process of getting this update from the dealer? I assume it would cost an hour or so of labor?

Does the vehicle have to be brought to the dealer, or can an indy update the software?

Last edited by dr_greenthumb; 04-14-2022 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #33
firstbimmer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 & '15 f15 X5 35i x

I had the car at the dealer and they diagnosed my symptoms and told me they had seen it before and software update was solution. But this was after multiple visits where they couldnt recreate the problem. I had to pay them for the time of the update. I dont know if an indy has that cabability. I would check with your service advisor to see if they have familiarity with the issue before taking your car in.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #34
tigabalm
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

So I am having a similar issue, but in reverse. Sometimes (getting more frequent) on the first start of the day, the RPM's will drop down below 800 and sputter, then rev up to counter and then level out.

Based on what you guys have been saying, may be an injector issue? Planning on doing coils soon. Should I just do new injectors, coils and plugs all at the same time?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #35
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigabalm View Post
So I am having a similar issue, but in reverse. Sometimes (getting more frequent) on the first start of the day, the RPM's will drop down below 800 and sputter, then rev up to counter and then level out.

Based on what you guys have been saying, may be an injector issue? Planning on doing coils soon. Should I just do new injectors, coils and plugs all at the same time?

Thanks!
This issue is across all platforms of the N55, I have read many different forums and nobody has an exact solution, I think it can be several things. Injector, yes; I assume LPFP/HPFP, vacuum leak, MAF, I read that an update from BMW can fix it, I even read that many sensors can cause it.

It's so odd that I can clear my codes, and it doesn't rectify it completely, but it somehow helps?

I wish I knew enough about my Foxwell computer on what different area's to look at with the live data option it has, I believe I could narrow it down...

Last edited by dr_greenthumb; 05-11-2022 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 06:05 AM   #36
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep

The problem is definitely more prominent as the temperatures dip down, this tends to make me believe that it has to due with shrinkage, ie; gaskets, plastics...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:37 AM   #37
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_greenthumb View Post
The problem is definitely more prominent as the temperatures dip down, this tends to make me believe that it has to due with shrinkage, ie; gaskets, plastics...
Agree on this. Mine was always a lot worse when left outside vs. parked inside.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #38
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Agree on this. Mine was always a lot worse when left outside vs. parked inside.
I wish I had a way to diagnose the injectors, from what I understand the Foxwell NT510 scan tool will only code injectors in, not monitor them in real time.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 12:01 PM   #39
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I am posting this here for anyone that finds it. I solved my cold start stumble very easily.

2014 XDrive 35i

I unplugged the MAF on a cold engine and gave it one complete warm-up and drive cycle with the MAF unplugged (it ran fine and no check engine light came on). Then I plugged the MAF back in and allowed the motor to go back to completely cold before turning it on again.

The issue has not returned for 1 month of daily starts. Previously, it was stumbling and running rough on every single cold start for 5 months. I was dreading the injector replacement or taking it back to the dealer for coding. Neither was necessary.

I can't explain it, but I saw it posted a couple of other places and it also worked for me. I'm assuming it resets some adaptions.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!
Appreciate 0