Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman0323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman0323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Hey guys, wanted to put together a build thread for my first BMW. Pretty conservative build from the factory with a lot of potential. Joined Bimmerpost the first week I took delivery and was off to the races! Every single mod was influenced from what I've seen from others on the forum. I can't stress enough that I literally built this with you over the past 2.5 years. I love you guys. THANK YOU.

My goal with this build was clean and mean. I've never seriously modded a car or truck before so I have to say this was so much fun looking back through all of my experiences. Lots of ups and downs. I could probably say if I had to do each mod again I'd take a different approach with the install. That said I tried to install as much as I could within reason. With each mod I experienced a full spectrum of emotions ranging from joy, satisfaction, headaches, anxiety and even anger. Went through a million clips, lost pieces of random plastic stuff that I have no idea what they were for, and lost screws and torque bits in areas I will never be able to access or retrieve. Just got to move on to the next mod...Trust me it was all FUN!

Parts list with a few comments:

Exterior
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Splitters
  • RW Carbon F85 Carbon Fiber Mirrors
  • RW Carbon Carbon Fiber Side Skirts
  • M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grill
  • M Performance Gloss Black Rear Spoiler
  • M50D Open Grill and Trim Conversion - Installed these at the same time as the IND front reflectors. These were the single biggest PITA mods I came across. Honestly not sure how you can do these mods without taking the front bumper off. That was fun...
  • IND Gloss Black Roundels and Badges
  • IND Painted Reflectors
  • Autotecknic Carbon Fiber Fender Inserts
  • Autotecknic Carbon Fiber F85 Grill
  • Thule Aero Rack
  • XPEL Prime XR Plus 20% Front Tint

Interior
  • Alcantara and Perforated Leather Steering Wheel w/ F85 M Performance Carbon Fiber Trim - 2nd wheel I've ordered from Coby - Couldn't recommend them enough!
  • F85 Napa Black Knee Pads - Another PITA mod.
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber / Alcantara Trim
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Shifter
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Console
  • M Performance Stainless Steel Pedals
  • M Performance Illuminated Door Sills
  • IND Polar Blue Start Button
  • M LED Puddle Lights

Suspension
  • BC Racing Coilovers - Good all around coilover from BC Racing. If you want a modest uptick in performance while lowering your truck at a good price, these are for you. Note they only make a kit to replace the standard 4 steel spring option. Take your time dialing these in - PATIENCE required.
  • KMAC front adjustable bushings - Big fan of camber kits - Along with the SPC rear kit, these are the only ones available for our trucks. I was able to bring negative camber to exactly -1.0 on all 4 corners with this kit. I couldn't handle the tucked look so this was more of a cosmetic mod even though you will see a cost savings on tire life.
  • SPC Industries adjustable rear control arms - See above.

Performance Upgrades
  • M Performance Brake Kit with F85 Rotors - #1 favorite mod to date - The stock 50i setup is criminally unacceptable.
  • Brembo Rear Big Brake Kit (Porsche Retrofit) - BMW needs to include 4 pot rear calipers on all of their performance vehicles. C'mon!
  • Dinan Stage 1 Tune - I posted recently about my first Dynojet pulls registering 423 awhp / 478 awtq here.
  • Dinan Cold Air Intake - Pretty carbon fiber housing that sounds mean but not worth the money - the modest performance gains don't justify the cost.
  • SuperSprint Race Muffler w/ Gloss Black Powdercoat Tips - Beautiful Italian engineering that brought my truck to the next level.
  • NGK Laser Iridium Plugs - Gapped at 0.60mm

Current Wheels
  • BC Forged HCA162S - 22x10.5+30 / 11.5+16 (Matte Black Center/Gloss Black Lip/Black Exposed Hardware) w/ Atturo AZ850s. Experimented with my offsets relative to my first set of BC Forged 22s, going slightly more aggressive. I think these are the perfect offsets for those who are lowered on coilovers. Favorite wheels to date and only added an hour of detailing time with a 2 piece exposed hardware wheel! Give Atturo a shot - quite the underrated tire brand. Some additional photos here.
  • 611M Winter Set - Gloss Black Powdercoat w/ IND custom black center caps. Running with 15mm spacers on all 4 corners.

Previous Wheels in Order
  • 469M - Brief stint with original set off the lot.
  • 467M (Winter set) - Paid full price for this winter set from the dealer at time of purchase. Still my worst buy to date but I was clueless at the time.
  • 612M - Gloss Black - These were (and still are) my favorite OEM wheel.
  • BC Forged RZ21 - 22+10.5+32 / 11.5+19 in Gloss Brushed Dark Black - Absolutely loved these wheels. First dive into a forged wheel and couldn't have been happier. Decided I wanted a satin black wheel so moved on.

AND I'M DONE!!!

How did you get the interior led so bright?
Also how much for the leather need pads? Is there a part number for it
I paid around ~$800

Napa Black Left 51168061411

Napa Black Right 51168061412
      05-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #68
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Let's get you some LED headlights!
I wish but I couldn't spend $4k+ on custom LEDs with modules. Definitely a major gap in my build!
      05-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #69
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutF15 View Post
I can never get tired of looking at these pictures of your ride
That means a lot bro. I feel the same way!
      05-03-2022, 08:57 PM   #70
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sad no one wanted to buy my baby. Plenty of low ball offers trying to pick me off for a healthy part out profit. Nice try.

A full part out is imminent…I kind of always knew this day would come though. All good!
      05-03-2022, 09:20 PM   #71
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Sad no one wanted to buy my baby. Plenty of low ball offers trying to pick me off for a healthy part out profit. Nice try.

A full part out is imminent…I kind of always knew this day would come though. All good!
Sad to see you give it up. You said you were thinking M5 - any consideration to an X5M?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 08:13 AM   #72
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Quote:

Sad to see you give it up. You said you were thinking M5 - any consideration to an X5M?
Can't afford a F95 and wouldn't be interested in a F85. I have been looking at used F90s in the $85k price range.
      05-04-2022, 08:51 AM   #73
whoismorggan
Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 IE Stage 1

Garage List
Quote:

Why are you selling?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #74
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyesmorgan View Post
Quote:

Why are you selling?
Looking for a new project.
      05-04-2022, 10:37 AM   #75
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Erik, what do you use to clean your leather?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:15 PM   #76
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Erik, what do you use to clean your leather?
Hey man, this is what I use. I've always had great results.
Attached Images

05-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #77
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Good luck with the search for a F90 man, they're beasts. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the part out
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #78
gutierrezb27
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 50i

bc coilovers

Did you adjust the preload at all? I lowered my x5 29 3/4 in the front and 30 1/4 in rear. Im having a slight problem that when ever i hit a speed bump or slight bump at decent speed. the rear of the car just shoots up, i can literally see the stuff in my trunk flying everywhere. any advice?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #79
X5Brian
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

I'm running bc at 29.75 front with 16k swift, rear 30 with 24k swift. I tighten or firmed up when it jumps like that on bumps. Not saying it's what to do for you but worked in mine. I have a damn smooth ride, just have to control the higher spring rates. No bottom out even on big bumps at high way speeds
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 06:50 PM   #80
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutierrezb27 View Post
Did you adjust the preload at all? I lowered my x5 29 3/4 in the front and 30 1/4 in rear. Im having a slight problem that when ever i hit a speed bump or slight bump at decent speed. the rear of the car just shoots up, i can literally see the stuff in my trunk flying everywhere. any advice?
No I didn't touch anything before install. I did experience that same bouncy castle ride when I initially started out with max soft dampening. Where did you set your dampening? Sounds like you need to firm it up.
      05-13-2022, 02:33 AM   #81
Jakesax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15 M50d

Quote:
Hey guys, wanted to put together a build thread for my first BMW. Pretty conservative build from the factory with a lot of potential. Joined Bimmerpost the first week I took delivery and was off to the races! Every single mod was influenced from what I've seen from others on the forum. I can't stress enough that I literally built this with you over the past 2.5 years. I love you guys. THANK YOU.

My goal with this build was clean and mean. I've never seriously modded a car or truck before so I have to say this was so much fun looking back through all of my experiences. Lots of ups and downs. I could probably say if I had to do each mod again I'd take a different approach with the install. That said I tried to install as much as I could within reason. With each mod I experienced a full spectrum of emotions ranging from joy, satisfaction, headaches, anxiety and even anger. Went through a million clips, lost pieces of random plastic stuff that I have no idea what they were for, and lost screws and torque bits in areas I will never be able to access or retrieve. Just got to move on to the next mod...Trust me it was all FUN!

Parts list with a few comments:

Exterior
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Splitters
  • RW Carbon F85 Carbon Fiber Mirrors
  • RW Carbon Carbon Fiber Side Skirts
  • M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grill
  • M Performance Gloss Black Rear Spoiler
  • M50D Open Grill and Trim Conversion - Installed these at the same time as the IND front reflectors. These were the single biggest PITA mods I came across. Honestly not sure how you can do these mods without taking the front bumper off. That was fun...
  • IND Gloss Black Roundels and Badges
  • IND Painted Reflectors
  • Autotecknic Carbon Fiber Fender Inserts
  • Autotecknic Carbon Fiber F85 Grill
  • Thule Aero Rack
  • XPEL Prime XR Plus 20% Front Tint

Interior
  • Alcantara and Perforated Leather Steering Wheel w/ F85 M Performance Carbon Fiber Trim - 2nd wheel I've ordered from Coby - Couldn't recommend them enough!
  • F85 Napa Black Knee Pads - Another PITA mod.
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber / Alcantara Trim
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Shifter
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Console
  • M Performance Stainless Steel Pedals
  • M Performance Illuminated Door Sills
  • IND Polar Blue Start Button
  • M LED Puddle Lights

Suspension
  • BC Racing Coilovers - Good all around coilover from BC Racing. If you want a modest uptick in performance while lowering your truck at a good price, these are for you. Note they only make a kit to replace the standard 4 steel spring option. Take your time dialing these in - PATIENCE required.
  • KMAC front adjustable bushings - Big fan of camber kits - Along with the SPC rear kit, these are the only ones available for our trucks. I was able to bring negative camber to exactly -1.0 on all 4 corners with this kit. I couldn't handle the tucked look so this was more of a cosmetic mod even though you will see a cost savings on tire life.
  • SPC Industries adjustable rear control arms - See above.

Performance Upgrades
  • M Performance Brake Kit with F85 Rotors - #1 favorite mod to date - The stock 50i setup is criminally unacceptable.
  • Brembo Rear Big Brake Kit (Porsche Retrofit) - BMW needs to include 4 pot rear calipers on all of their performance vehicles. C'mon!
  • Dinan Stage 1 Tune - I posted recently about my first Dynojet pulls registering 423 awhp / 478 awtq here.
  • Dinan Cold Air Intake - Pretty carbon fiber housing that sounds mean but not worth the money - the modest performance gains don't justify the cost.
  • SuperSprint Race Muffler w/ Gloss Black Powdercoat Tips - Beautiful Italian engineering that brought my truck to the next level.
  • NGK Laser Iridium Plugs - Gapped at 0.60mm

Current Wheels
  • BC Forged HCA162S - 22x10.5+30 / 11.5+16 (Matte Black Center/Gloss Black Lip/Black Exposed Hardware) w/ Atturo AZ850s. Experimented with my offsets relative to my first set of BC Forged 22s, going slightly more aggressive. I think these are the perfect offsets for those who are lowered on coilovers. Favorite wheels to date and only added an hour of detailing time with a 2 piece exposed hardware wheel! Give Atturo a shot - quite the underrated tire brand. Some additional photos here.
  • 611M Winter Set - Gloss Black Powdercoat w/ IND custom black center caps. Running with 15mm spacers on all 4 corners.

Previous Wheels in Order
  • 469M - Brief stint with original set off the lot.
  • 467M (Winter set) - Paid full price for this winter set from the dealer at time of purchase. Still my worst buy to date but I was clueless at the time.
  • 612M - Gloss Black - These were (and still are) my favorite OEM wheel.
  • BC Forged RZ21 - 22+10.5+32 / 11.5+19 in Gloss Brushed Dark Black - Absolutely loved these wheels. First dive into a forged wheel and couldn't have been happier. Decided I wanted a satin black wheel so moved on.

AND I'M DONE!!!

Man you've got me wanting to spend some money on the X5. Looks amazing
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #82
gutierrezb27
Rep

Quote:
No I didn't touch anything before install. I did experience that same bouncy castle ride when I initially started out with max soft dampening. Where did you set your dampening? Sounds like you need to firm it up.
I Actually put it on max soft.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #83
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutierrezb27 View Post
Quote:
I Actually put it on max soft.
Yes that's your issue. Adjust to mid dampening and you'll be all set
      05-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #84
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Yes that's your issue. Adjust to mid dampening and you'll be all set
I thought the same, but even with mid softening I have the same issue on certain bumps at highway speeds. The shit in my trunk literally hoists in the air. I wish I would have gone with stiffer spring rates on my BC coilovers. To note I'm on 22" wheels with rubber band tires do to x-drive and transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #85
gutierrezb27
Rep

im on 20 inch wheels. Im going to adjust the dampening. and see if it changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:37 PM   #86
X5Brian
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

I'm running 16k front and 24k rear, somewhere around 20-22 clicks firm. Rides good, handles amazing. Zero bottom out in rear @ 29.75 GTF.
Def recommend swift springs and much much stiffer than bc suggests. I have some 16k and 20k swifts if anyone wants to step up higher— rear springs. Mine are also for extra low kit. I think they are 8" in height
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #87
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm at 12 clicks up from max soft and don't have a bouncing issue.
      05-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #88
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Brian View Post
I'm running 16k front and 24k rear, somewhere around 20-22 clicks firm. Rides good, handles amazing. Zero bottom out in rear @ 29.75 GTF.
Def recommend swift springs and much much stiffer than bc suggests. I have some 16k and 20k swifts if anyone wants to step up higher— rear springs. Mine are also for extra low kit. I think they are 8" in height
So the 20K rear swifts weren't stiff enough for you? I'm on the standard recommended BC springs. Any clue what those spring rates are? I can't remember.
Appreciate 0