BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-17-2022, 01:27 AM   #1
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

6 days with my beautiful F15

So much for the accident-free record I paid a premium for. Searched over the whole country for a Mineral on Mocha Nappa F15D with (almost) all the options. Bought it in Chicago (rust free, btw) and drove it 2200 miles home. Got here on Tuesday, today (Thursday) I had to come to a full stop on the freeway when traffic suddenly halted in front of me and the guy behind me failed to stop in time. Felt a lot worse than it looks, honestly.

Did you guys know these things have a head/neck support system in the front head rests that deploys in the case of a rear-end accident? BMW never ceases to amaze me. As absolutely livid as I am, I'm thankful I was in the daily and not my e30 or e92.

God dammit.
Attached Images

2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Oh damn, this sucks... Everyone is okay otherwise though? What are you looking at for downtime to get it all repaired? I do know that getting parts can take quite a bit right now...
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Argh. Hate to see this. Definitely make sure the insurance company compensates you for diminished value.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-17-2022, 04:17 PM   #4
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lht5059 View Post
Oh damn, this sucks... Everyone is okay otherwise though? What are you looking at for downtime to get it all repaired? I do know that getting parts can take quite a bit right now...
Unfortunately I can't confidently say yes. I have an appointment this afternoon with the chiropractor and I got in with the concussion doctor on Monday. GF was with me and she's in similar condition--felt like we got punched in the back of the head pretty hard. He must've been going 30mph in his Venza when he hit us, it was a jarring hit.

The bodyshop I want to go to is booked til (at least) August. I'm running around trying to find another but finding a good work is terribly difficult. Bodyshop I want to use had to let his main painter go cuz he got an offer of 200k/yr to paint cars at a shop down the road.

In addition to the visible damage, there's rattles from the trunk and the dash, vibrations from what I assume are damaged motor mounts, and PDC and comfort access are down. Among other things, like I'm pretty sure the structural integrity of my front seat backs is not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Argh. Hate to see this. Definitely make sure the insurance company compensates you for diminished value.
Do you have any advice for this? I'm wondering if I want to go for the angle of getting them to repair all the intricacies/intangibles via the bodyshop (which will be difficult according to the shops) or if I should try to claim it all under diminished value and put part of that towards fixing things like the damaged motor mounts and hunting down the damn rattles (which irks me to no end, this car was so perfect before this happened...ugh).
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 04:31 PM   #5
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Sorry to hear. Huge bummer.

Diminished value is easy. Well... "easy" depending on how good the insurance company is. Ask for it, they'll give you an offer. If you like it, take it. If not tell them you're going to get an appraiser to value it from before accident and after. They'll probably up the offer. If you're happy with it, take it. If not, pay an appraiser to value it and go from there with your negotiations.

As for mounts and other things... if it's not right, the accident caused it and your body shop will need to write it up in their "supplementary" findings. The at fault party's insurance has to make the vehicle whole, or pay you outright for its value.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #6
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Unfortunately I can't confidently say yes. I have an appointment this afternoon with the chiropractor and I got in with the concussion doctor on Monday. GF was with me and she's in similar condition--felt like we got punched in the back of the head pretty hard. He must've been going 30mph in his Venza when he hit us, it was a jarring hit.

The bodyshop I want to go to is booked til (at least) August. I'm running around trying to find another but finding a good work is terribly difficult. Bodyshop I want to use had to let his main painter go cuz he got an offer of 200k/yr to paint cars at a shop down the road.

In addition to the visible damage, there's rattles from the trunk and the dash, vibrations from what I assume are damaged motor mounts, and PDC and comfort access are down. Among other things, like I'm pretty sure the structural integrity of my front seat backs is not the same.
Good lord... I wish you, your GF, and the car a speedy recovery... As annoying as it is about the car, health does come first .

For the rattles and all, it could just be the bumper and lower trunk moving around when you drive, even if you can't replicate it by hand. For peace of mind, maybe have a mic placed around the car next time you drive it and see if you can trace down anything; obviously, this shouldn't be in lieu of the shop's assessment, but it's something to do if you get itchy waiting for your appointment. My rudimentary and optimistic guess also points to the exhaust + exhaust mount as one of the culprits...

California folks, any suggestion for a good shop? Again, I hope it is all taken care of soon so y'all can enjoy the car!
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #7
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Do you have any advice for this? I'm wondering if I want to go for the angle of getting them to repair all the intricacies/intangibles via the bodyshop (which will be difficult according to the shops) or if I should try to claim it all under diminished value and put part of that towards fixing things like the damaged motor mounts and hunting down the damn rattles (which irks me to no end, this car was so perfect before this happened...ugh).
Is there a body shop associated with a dealer. I have had body work done with other brands after a collision and the car was pretty much returned to like new condition. I hope they can fix the dashboard rattle. Those are the toughest ones…
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #8
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

I had this exact same damage. if they get all the parts your estimate should be close to 9K to 10K.
      06-18-2022, 08:46 PM   #9
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Also, diminished value is hard to get. They low ball like crazy. I am still fighting my claim after 4 months. Luckily I didn't sign their property damage release yet as I believe my recent transmission failure is caused by the accident damage as the brackets for the exhaust are attached to the transmission and must have damaged it in a way that it leaked or cracked for over 4 months being undetected until now. Not sure how I'm going to get them to pay for this as they barely paid out to replace my lower tailgate and attempted to repair it instead. Insurance uses every fraudulent practice possible to not pay. i had a $3K diminished value claim created by an appraiser expert and after fighting every step of the way the most they offered was $750.00 stating that diminished value is based on a barter system. Attorneys try to take all the money for themselves and leave the claimant with nothing so you need to be very sturdy and strict with insurance.
      06-18-2022, 09:28 PM   #10
acmurda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

That sucks big time, main thing is that everyone is ok (for the most part). I was in a similar situation in February. Minor accident, damage didn't look too bad at all but the insurance company (ICBC in BC) ended up writing off the vehicle. it was a 2014 with only 110k kms. Also got extremely good value for it without any haggling at all. Hope yours turns into a positive situation as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 10:06 PM   #11
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Been there, similar situation, had mine 3 weeks then in the shop for 5 months. Over $31k to fix and now it runs like new. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-18-2022, 10:12 PM   #12
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good lord... I wish you, your GF, and the car a speedy recovery... As annoying as it is about the car, health does come first .

For the rattles and all, it could just be the bumper and lower trunk moving around when you drive, even if you can't replicate it by hand. For peace of mind, maybe have a mic placed around the car next time you drive it and see if you can trace down anything; obviously, this shouldn't be in lieu of the shop's assessment, but it's something to do if you get itchy waiting for your appointment. My rudimentary and optimistic guess also points to the exhaust + exhaust mount as one of the culprits...

California folks, any suggestion for a good shop? Again, I hope it is all taken care of soon so y'all can enjoy the car!
All Foreign and Domestic Collision Center in Stockton did mine. BMW certified shop. Great work but parts will be hard to find. I made sure they were using all OEM parts too.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-18-2022, 11:10 PM   #13
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Well, luckily there aren't any aftermarket parts for the f15 in terms of body panels so they have to use OEM since it's the only part available.
Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 8.26.37 PM.png
Views: 961
Size:  905.1 KB
Name:  20211025_170408.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  361.2 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20220618-230456_Gallery.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  66.1 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 11.07.57 PM.png
Views: 940
Size:  263.2 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20220618-231257_OneDrive.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  138.3 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20220618-231330_OneDrive.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  99.5 KB
Name:  20211208_161336.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  261.5 KB

Last edited by F15_SGM; 06-18-2022 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
lht5059121.50
Vivek.1363.50
      06-20-2022, 01:26 AM   #14
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Is there a body shop associated with a dealer. I have had body work done with other brands after a collision and the car was pretty much returned to like new condition. I hope they can fix the dashboard rattle. Those are the toughest ones…
It seems to be coming from the B&O speaker surround, so I'm hoping it's something on top and not within. The dealers have body shops, but I generally think that their pricing doesn't align with the quality of work. I will certainly threaten (and intend on following through) to take it to the dealer if insurance isn't giving me what I want. Dealer labor rate is ~$330/hr (general body shops $130-175) and Geico cannot prevent me from having it fixed there. If the dealer will be more discerning regarding what needs to be replaced, and fight for it, then I will gladly go with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmansiddiqui95 View Post
I had this exact same damage. if they get all the parts your estimate should be close to 9K to 10K.
I'm guessing 20k, based on my personal estimation and a guess from a shop owner who's been in the business for 30 years. Keep in mind we're paying silicon valley labor rates (painters make 200k here), and material costs are up 30% since January.
Quote:
Also, diminished value is hard to get. They low ball like crazy. I am still fighting my claim after 4 months. Luckily I didn't sign their property damage release yet as I believe my recent transmission failure is caused by the accident damage as the brackets for the exhaust are attached to the transmission and must have damaged it in a way that it leaked or cracked for over 4 months being undetected until now. Not sure how I'm going to get them to pay for this as they barely paid out to replace my lower tailgate and attempted to repair it instead. Insurance uses every fraudulent practice possible to not pay. i had a $3K diminished value claim created by an appraiser expert and after fighting every step of the way the most they offered was $750.00 stating that diminished value is based on a barter system. Attorneys try to take all the money for themselves and leave the claimant with nothing so you need to be very sturdy and strict with insurance.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I really hope that mine is better but this gives me a realistic outlook. I want to work directly with insurance because attorneys can be difficult in this situation as you mentioned. I'm not significantly injured and this will not be a high value case; it's important to ME and I know that it won't be more important to a law firm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmurda View Post
That sucks big time, main thing is that everyone is ok (for the most part). I was in a similar situation in February. Minor accident, damage didn't look too bad at all but the insurance company (ICBC in BC) ended up writing off the vehicle. it was a 2014 with only 110k kms. Also got extremely good value for it without any haggling at all. Hope yours turns into a positive situation as well.
That's what I would consider major damage, since the unibody is significantly damaged it would need to be cut and welded which is major surgery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgx5 View Post
Been there, similar situation, had mine 3 weeks then in the shop for 5 months. Over $31k to fix and now it runs like new. [IMG][/IMG]
I've seen your thread and this reminded me of your situation. Yours definitely is worse than mine--was everyone okay in the accident? I'm assuming your headrest supports popped--does that necessitate replacement of the front seats? Did you get it fixed at a dealership?
Quote:
Well, luckily there aren't any aftermarket parts for the f15 in terms of body panels so they have to use OEM since it's the only part available.
Attachment 2911783
Attachment 2911784
Attachment 2911785
Attachment 2911786
Attachment 2911787
Attachment 2911788
Attachment 2911793
Thanks for sharing. This is a ton of help, I want 5k for diminished value--we'll see if I get it. I paid $33.5k for this car after taxes; it's the only car I've bought in my life that I don't feel I got a particularly good deal on. I was willing to pay 'market value' for an example that was exactly what I wanted. And I understand that's something that is difficult to quantify in a valuation, but I feel that the price I paid should hold some weight since it was within a week of the accident. I'm sure the insurance company will disagree.

Did they end up replacing your whole exhaust system? Mine is bent in the same way as yours was--pushed in on the right side and sticking out more than it should on the left.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 01:47 AM   #15
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will say, in terms of specific experience with other brands, I've seen one of my parents prior cars fixed at an Acura dealership and their work was subpar.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:52 AM   #16
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Yes, so the insurance attempted to only pay to refinish my exhaust but after explaining to them that I will not accept anything less than a replacement they then attempted to only pay for replacing the tips. After explaining to them that the part number for my exhaust does not allow tip replacement due to having a valve system integrated thus it needs a brand new full exhaust. It took a long delay just to get them to accept it needs a full system. Also, all body shops even dealers' body shops have a fixed rate that special to insurance companies. Consumer pricing for labor may be 300/hr but when the insurance steps in they work with the shop and negotiate a reduced rate. Also, I have attached the headrest system BMW receipt that all needed to be replaced for it. Also, did your carfax have any prior reports of any damages or imperfections?
Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 2.53.13 AM.png
Views: 910
Size:  517.8 KB
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 196614.pdf (106.4 KB, 10 views)
      06-20-2022, 03:01 AM   #17
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, so the insurance attempted to only pay to refinish my exhaust but after explaining to them that I will not accept anything less than a replacement they then attempted to only pay for replacing the tips. After explaining to them that the part number for my exhaust does not allow tip replacement due to having a valve system integrated thus it needs a brand new full exhaust. It took a long delay just to get them to accept it needs a full system. Also, all body shops even dealers' body shops have a fixed rate that special to insurance companies. Consumer pricing for labor may be 300/hr but when the insurance steps in they work with the shop and negotiate a reduced rate. Also, I have attached the headrest system BMW receipt that all needed to be replaced for it. Also, did your carfax have any prior reports of any damages or imperfections?
Attachment 2912573
Thanks for sharing! I had a passenger so both front seat headrest supports deployed, so I'd expect the cost to be approximately 2x. Good to know it didn't even need replacement of the headrests themselves, I'd be concerned about the color match.

Car had no prior damage reports of any kind on Carfax.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:08 AM   #18
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep

@Vivek. Fortunately I was the only one in the car and was not hurt in the accident. The headrest did its job so I was literally playing golf a day after the accident. Haven't had any issues since either. Hope you all are ok after your accident.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #19
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
I will say, in terms of specific experience with other brands, I've seen one of my parents prior cars fixed at an Acura dealership and their work was subpar.
Mine was a Porsche Cayenne S. In any case, If your BO center speaker area is rattling, that should be an easier fix since you can remove and reinstall it. There are a lot of wires and stuff in there. But not hard to remove, reinstall.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-28-2022, 02:04 AM   #20
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:
So much for the accident-free record I paid a premium for. Searched over the whole country for a Mineral on Mocha Nappa F15D with (almost) all the options. Bought it in Chicago (rust free, btw) and drove it 2200 miles home. Got here on Tuesday, today (Thursday) I had to come to a full stop on the freeway when traffic suddenly halted in front of me and the guy behind me failed to stop in time. Felt a lot worse than it looks, honestly.

Did you guys know these things have a head/neck support system in the front head rests that deploys in the case of a rear-end accident? BMW never ceases to amaze me. As absolutely livid as I am, I'm thankful I was in the daily and not my e30 or e92.

God dammit.
How is the repair process going so far?
      06-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #21
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How is the repair process going so far?
0 progress. Their adjuster was supposed to call me by Friday. Left her a VM yesterday (her VM recording promises a call back the same business day) and if I don't hear back today I'm filing it with my own insurance to have them put pressure on Geico to start moving forward.

I have the body shop selected, but they can't move forward until Geico gives a prelim estimate on the repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 01:21 AM   #22
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:
0 progress. Their adjuster was supposed to call me by Friday. Left her a VM yesterday (her VM recording promises a call back the same business day) and if I don't hear back today I'm filing it with my own insurance to have them put pressure on Geico to start moving forward.

I have the body shop selected, but they can't move forward until Geico gives a prelim estimate on the repair.
Yes, that is the standard delay tactic these insurance use. What you want to do is call the Geico 1-800 number and ask for that adjuster's supervisor's contact details such as phone and email. Once you contact their supervisor the claim will speed up. Also, recommend emailing both the adjuster and supervisor. The supervisor will either handle the claim themselves or have another adjuster get the claim moving quickly. Once they approve liability have them get you into a rental and let them know you need at minimum the $40 or $50 per day rate approved as that is the best vehicle rate enterprise has with insurance companies. You should be able to get into a BMW 5 series from enterprise at that rate. They usually try their best at giving you a $35 economy car rate but don't let them do that.

Last edited by F15_SGM; 06-29-2022 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50