BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
DV-F15
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

MPE Exhaust Valve Plug Cover??

Does anyone know if, when installing MPE, you need to install a plug cover for the stock valve controller? I did some researching and it looks like part no. 18302411427 would be what would be used, but does anyone know if it's necessary? I only have the MPE muffler and not the associated outlet pipes/tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #2
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV-F15 View Post
Does anyone know if, when installing MPE, you need to install a plug cover for the stock valve controller? I did some researching and it looks like part no. 18302411427 would be what would be used, but does anyone know if it's necessary? I only have the MPE muffler and not the associated outlet pipes/tips.
No, you can just tape it and secure it with a zip tie it somewhere on the chassis so it doesn't dangle. If you only have the MPE muffler and not the connecting pipes that come with the kit, then I assume you'll be using the stock exhaust pipe that has the control valve mechanism. You will want to force that valve open, tie it off or tack weld it open, or just cut that valve off altogether and sleeve in a new pipe piece with no obstruction.
Its all easier than it sounds...your muffler guy can do this with no problem.
      12-02-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
DV-F15
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV-F15 View Post
No, you can just tape it and secure it with a zip tie it somewhere on the chassis so it doesn't dangle. If you only have the MPE muffler and not the connecting pipes that come with the kit, then I assume you'll be using the stock exhaust pipe that has the control valve mechanism. You will want to force that valve open, tie it off or tack weld it open, or just cut that valve off altogether and sleeve in a new pipe piece with no obstruction.
Its all easier than it sounds...your muffler guy can do this with no problem.
Yup! That's what I did. Took some elbow grease from both of us to get it to fit right, but it sounds awesome. As for the valve cover, I installed it anyways. I didn't want to tape up the connector with electrical tape and leave water damage up to chance.
Appreciate 0