Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Quote:
View post on imgur.com

About 3 weeks ago I did a full brake pad, rotor and sensor job on my 2017 X5 35i, which went well. I installed Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, as well as Zimmerman rotors. I also cleaned the caliper carriers and everything slides nicely.

Since I performed the job, the brake pedal squeaks (like in the above linked video) on the first press of the day. After the first press of the day, there's no more squeaking or issues.

Is this indicative of a problem? Or just a minor annoyance?
Did you use anti-squeak grease on back of pads, or shims. I am not a fan of shins but always use the grease and done well by me w noise on all vehicles.
I did. Lubed up with the grease that was sent with the pads from FCP Euro.
Got it, you may just need to break them in/bed them and should go away then. Good luck, and I know noise like that is super annoying… not what you want when you stay on top of your machine!
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 1
destroy26160.50
      07-16-2022, 06:47 PM   #1146
destroy26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
View post on imgur.com

About 3 weeks ago I did a full brake pad, rotor and sensor job on my 2017 X5 35i, which went well. I installed Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, as well as Zimmerman rotors. I also cleaned the caliper carriers and everything slides nicely.

Since I performed the job, the brake pedal squeaks (like in the above linked video) on the first press of the day. After the first press of the day, there's no more squeaking or issues.

Is this indicative of a problem? Or just a minor annoyance?
Did you use anti-squeak grease on back of pads, or shims. I am not a fan of shins but always use the grease and done well by me w noise on all vehicles.
I did. Lubed up with the grease that was sent with the pads from FCP Euro.
Got it, you may just need to break them in/bed them and should go away then. Good luck, and I know noise like that is super annoying… not what you want when you stay on top of your machine!
Absolutely. To be fair, it's only the first press of the pedal before I start it in the morning. Not a huge deal, but just wanted to make sure that it wasn't indicative of a greater issue.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2022, 08:51 PM   #1147
kstinmb
It's always something.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive40e & 2014 i3

Multiple warning messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraqiao View Post
(10-27-2021, 02:20PM) Help with multiple warning error messages on BMW X5 2016 xdrive 35i. My X5 has run 85K miles, which is out of warranty. So I'm trying not be ripped by dealers to solve this issue, lol. Any input would be highly suggested. Thanks in advance![IMG][/IMG]
I have an April 2016 xDrive40e with only 29K miles, we only put about 6K a year on it. Problem-free driving, mostly on the battery except for an annual trip from SC to Maine.
Friday (22 Jul 2022) I drove to the grocery and got these messages, one right after the other, but all cleared. Since then I have had three cold starts and a dozen warm starts with no messages. "System Check" says everything is OK. Is this a battery failure?
We have a 2014 i3 BEV which also went nuts as the 12v battery reached end-of-life. but it's a completely different system.

I have an appt with the dealer in a couple of days and would like to know what to expect.

Thx,
  • Pedestrian Warning: Malfunction. Consult service center.
  • Daytime Pedestrian Warning limited. Brake intervention not possible, but visual and acoustic warnings are still given. Consult service center.
  • Parking brake recued: Drive moderately. Not possible to use parking brake while driving. Engage/release whie stationary. Consult service center.
  • Frontal Collision Warning System: Malfunction. Brake intervention not available. Visual and acoustic warnings active. Consult service center.
  • Drivetrain Malfunction: Drive Moderately. Maximum drivetrain outpyut not available. Consult service center.
  • (On Driver's cluster) ((ABS)) Chassis stabilization: Drive moderately.
  • Restraint system: Fault in airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Continue wearing safety belt. Consult nearest service center.

Last edited by kstinmb; 07-25-2022 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Correct image URL
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 11:21 PM   #1148
chris_r_33
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Msport V8 Dinan Tune

Intake Recommendation....

Any one know of a intake company/manufacture, that will fit on a 2018 BMW X5 i50 Msport...???
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #1149
water649
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Alpine White

Possible engine seizure

My Canadian 2016 X5D (M-Sport) has an immediate engine shut off, without warning light or noise, while travelling on I-5 at 70mph. Ended up entire family (2 + 2 toddlers) slept in the car waiting to get a tow and ended up car was tow to Seattle dealer. Initial inspection pointed a potential engine seizure. I drained and topped up the engine oil with 6.5l Rotella T6 2 days before the trip. Coolant was topped and battery shows 95% via Bimmerlink app.

The car is bone stock and recently had a safety recall service (2 weeks prior to the trip) which resulted in an unexpected 'engine runaway' which blown hpfp so the hpfp and all injectors were replaced by Canadian dealer.

Any comment / suggestion on what could be the culpit to my nightmare and possible action to get my car back on road?

Thanks,

Alex
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #1150
SoCal X5
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

2017 X5 40e - Drivetrain Malfunction

I received this message yesterday...I was driving up a slight incline in Econ Pro mode using just the electric motor...the engine kicked in and I heard a clunk, then the message appears on screen. I continue driving, get on freeway, not exceeding 65. Car is still in Econ Pro mode, I make it home, no problem. I turn off the car...restart, no message. I let it sit for a few hours...drive it around in all three modes, Sport, Comfort and Econ Pro. Drives fine, no problems or messages. I take it to an independent BMW shop this morning...they run the scan, it comes back with multiple codes all related to the hybrid system and I should take it to the BMW dealership. I didn't ask what they codes were...my head was spinning and I was thinking about how much $$$ its going to be to fix it. My car is 1 month out from CPO warranty. I have an appointment on Wednesday....hoping its a software issue. I doubt it...but we will see.

Anyone else have this happen?

thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 01:20 PM   #1151
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Quote:
Absolutely. To be fair, it's only the first press of the pedal before I start it in the morning. Not a huge deal, but just wanted to make sure that it wasn't indicative of a greater issue.

Have the same thing on mine. After I changed pads/rotors all around, it helped for a few months but started doing this again
Appreciate 1
jmack1231298.50
      08-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #1152
destroy26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1nner View Post
Quote:

Have the same thing on mine. After I changed pads/rotors all around, it helped for a few months but started doing this again
Did you bleed the fluid when you did the pads? I didn't and I'm now wondering if that's where my issue is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #1153
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Quote:
Did you bleed the fluid when you did the pads? I didn't and I'm now wondering if that's where my issue is coming from.
I didn't, but not sure how the fluid can cause it. I feel like it has something to do with the pedal itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:14 PM   #1154
bk335ilci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinmb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraqiao View Post
(10-27-2021, 02:20PM) Help with multiple warning error messages on BMW X5 2016 xdrive 35i. My X5 has run 85K miles, which is out of warranty. So I'm trying not be ripped by dealers to solve this issue, lol. Any input would be highly suggested. Thanks in advance![IMG][/IMG]
I have an April 2016 xDrive40e with only 29K miles, we only put about 6K a year on it. Problem-free driving, mostly on the battery except for an annual trip from SC to Maine.
Friday (22 Jul 2022) I drove to the grocery and got these messages, one right after the other, but all cleared. Since then I have had three cold starts and a dozen warm starts with no messages. "System Check" says everything is OK. Is this a battery failure?
We have a 2014 i3 BEV which also went nuts as the 12v battery reached end-of-life. but it's a completely different system.

I have an appt with the dealer in a couple of days and would like to know what to expect.

Thx,
  • Pedestrian Warning: Malfunction. Consult service center.
  • Daytime Pedestrian Warning limited. Brake intervention not possible, but visual and acoustic warnings are still given. Consult service center.
  • Parking brake recued: Drive moderately. Not possible to use parking brake while driving. Engage/release whie stationary. Consult service center.
  • Frontal Collision Warning System: Malfunction. Brake intervention not available. Visual and acoustic warnings active. Consult service center.
  • Drivetrain Malfunction: Drive Moderately. Maximum drivetrain outpyut not available. Consult service center.
  • (On Driver's cluster) ((ABS)) Chassis stabilization: Drive moderately.
  • Restraint system: Fault in airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Continue wearing safety belt. Consult nearest service center.

What was the issue I am considering getting a 40e?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 06:54 AM   #1155
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Small evap leak. Cleared code after tightening the gas gap. I'll drive on that and see if it pops back up then try a new gas cap if that doesn't work.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos

Last edited by EDWYER; 08-16-2022 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #1156
Bmm34
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2018 X5 35D

Cold rough idle on a 2018 x5 35d

Hello, I'm a new member to the forum. I'm on my 2nd BMW. First was a 2009 335I and now I have a 2018 x5 35d.

About two months ago I started to have some rough idle issues mostly on a cold start but sometimes even when it was warm. The RPMs would fluctuate when I first start it up. It's progressively gotten worse and in the last month it has actually stalled a few times and the rough idle is more severe when it happens. I've noticed it happens more often when I back out of my driveway vs driving out, but it doesn't do it on every cold start.

I've had the steering module replaced under warranty and was told by the BMW dealership that that could potentially rectify the issue. They didn't see any other faults when doing a diagnostics.

Unfortunately the rough idle has persisted and so I was hopeful it might be the EGR causing the issue. I had a new one on order to be replaced under warranty. The EGR was replaced today and after I got it home and it sat for a bit, I took it out and it the rough idle happened again. The dealership can not replicate the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. If I'm leaving out pertinent information, please let me know.

62,000km

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 02:35 AM   #1157
nvrbkn11
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1nner View Post
Quote:

Had a very similar issue! But for me the noise was at all times of the day. With the same parts as you. Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors. No matter what I did the squealing wouldn't go away.
Decided to replace the rotors to some slotted/cross drilled Hawk Talon rotors.
Stayed with the akebono pads since they were practically brand new.
Cleaned up all the brake hardware, used some ATE brake pad paste I've been using on all my cars, installed the new rotors and noise went away completely. No noise, way better braking performance and dare I say more confidence when I brake.
Rotors were actually cheaper than the Zimmerman rotors from FCP at the time I purchased too.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 01:26 PM   #1158
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmm34 View Post
Hello, I'm a new member to the forum. I'm on my 2nd BMW. First was a 2009 335I and now I have a 2018 x5 35d.

About two months ago I started to have some rough idle issues mostly on a cold start but sometimes even when it was warm. The RPMs would fluctuate when I first start it up. It's progressively gotten worse and in the last month it has actually stalled a few times and the rough idle is more severe when it happens. I've noticed it happens more often when I back out of my driveway vs driving out, but it doesn't do it on every cold start.

I've had the steering module replaced under warranty and was told by the BMW dealership that that could potentially rectify the issue. They didn't see any other faults when doing a diagnostics.

Unfortunately the rough idle has persisted and so I was hopeful it might be the EGR causing the issue. I had a new one on order to be replaced under warranty. The EGR was replaced today and after I got it home and it sat for a bit, I took it out and it the rough idle happened again. The dealership can not replicate the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. If I'm leaving out pertinent information, please let me know.

62,000km

Thanks
Mine isn't a diesel, but my rough idle on cold start was because of fuel injectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 06:19 PM   #1159
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWYER View Post
Small evap leak. Cleared code after tightening the gas gap. I'll drive on that and see if it pops back up then try a new gas cap if that doesn't work.
So far so good! CEL has not come back after running through the rest of the tank.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #1160
destroy26
Private First Class
Rep

Is the condensation on this line normal? I just drove for a little over an hour.

If not, can someone shed some light on what this line is?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 07:35 AM   #1161
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Is the condensation on this line normal? I just drove for a little over an hour.

Thanks!
It's your ac line going from evaporator to compressor.

Part number: 64506833626

Number 4 item on realoem.com: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1987

Can't comment if condensation is normal.
Appreciate 1
destroy26160.50
      09-15-2022, 03:48 PM   #1162
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:

Thanks!
Yep, if your ac was on then you’ll see condensation on the low pressure line, to be expected.
      09-18-2022, 11:05 AM   #1163
froisalves
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Hi Bimmers,
I have a S25d and my isues are:

1. Frontal Collision Warning System doesnt work well
2. Steering colum swekking and makes some noise when start the car and when i pass in bumps.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 09:37 PM   #1164
FinalBOSS
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 X50i

Ambient Light help needed - Wrong color in one segment

Hi everyone! Cheers from Miami!

The top ambient color strip on my passenger door changed from blue to green, with no apparent reason behind it. This only happens in the blue setting. Researching about it, I found some comments mentioning "reset of LED module", but I have no luck on finding how to DIY this reset. Can you guys help? Please see attached photo.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 10:51 AM   #1165
firmmd
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 3.5i F15

f15 oil temperature gauge remains low

and there's no heat , after 1 hour of driving oil temp remains near 140. Radiator fan will kick in high gear and temp will drop to 140 if heat is turned on. I am freezing.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 06:52 PM   #1166
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

I had both front door soft close cables fail. Motors cycled but no function. The cable frayed and broke right at the ferrule on the end in the plastic lever clevis. I replaced both motor with cables and will do a post if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0