BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Blind Spot Indicators

Is there a way to turn these off and on? The triangles on my mirror don't seem to be lighting up and I can't seem to find and on and off.

Broken?!?!?!
      12-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Is there a way to turn these off and on? The triangles on my mirror don't seem to be lighting up and I can't seem to find and on and off.

Broken?!?!?!
Below your hazard switch, there should be a button for your collision warning systems. Pressing that button should bring up a menu that shows the current status of your blind spot detection system. You can enable or disable that feature in this menu screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Quote:

Broken?!?!?!
Below your hazard switch, there should be a button for your collision warning systems. Pressing that button should bring up a menu that shows the current status of your blind spot detection system. You can enable or disable that feature in this menu screen.

ok, that is all on and the light ring is green, still not seeing them come on. Anything else I am doing wrong?
      12-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

In the Mercedes world, they are illuminated at stop and go incognito once you start rolling, illuminating red when you have blind spot activity.

BMW starts just off and turns incognito on at around 30mph,illuminating orange when you have blind spot activity

All intelligent safety is supposed to start on by default until you turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
In the Mercedes world, they are illuminated at stop and go incognito once you start rolling, illuminating red when you have blind spot activity.

BMW starts just off and turns incognito on at around 30mph,illuminating orange when you have blind spot activity

All intelligent safety is supposed to start on by default until you turn it off.

OK, so cycled everything off then all back in and finally got a quick light once. #1 - these things are VERY faint compared to my Fords. I don't think I could see them at all during the day. is that right?

#2 they are not always on when something is in my blind spot like my Ford, is that right? On the Highway I was passing 3 cars in a row in the left lane. First car I pass (rear in the chain) light comes on for just 1-2 seconds and that car in in the blind spot window then goes out and never comes on again. in my Ford it would have stayed on the entire time till I cleared the 3 cars. Maybe it does not work like that?

I passed a few rigs and it never came on at all. I slowed down next to one and paced it, and nothing. then I turned on my right blinker and the wheel vibrated immediately and the light started flashing so it could tell it was there apparently. Car is spotless, so no snow or anything blocking it.

Very, very weird. About the only thing I have been disappointed with so far.
      12-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

BMW blind spot monitors could care less how many people you pass...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMW blind spot monitors could care less how many people you pass...

Apparently they don't care when people are in my blindspot area either.......
      12-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
I agree. Definitely neither the brightest nor most accurate. Still better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Only identifies cars as threats if they are overtaking you, or if they approach and hang out in your actual blindspot. Very good system compared to other makes, though most premium German brands perform similarly in this tech.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Only identifies cars as threats if they are overtaking you, or if they approach and hang out in your actual blindspot. Very good system compared to other makes, though most premium German brands perform similarly in this tech.
OK-now this is making more sense - so they evaluate the threat and only show up when you are being over taken? Since I usually drive faster than anyone else - this may be the issue. I'll have to bear it and drive slower tomorrow and see if that if my issue. My other cars light up when anyone is on that area and stay on the entire time they are there. These were hit and miss and sometimes turned off when a car was in them - but if what you are saying is true - that might be the issue. I thought it was funny it worked perfectly when I tossed the signal on.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow - thanks for the heads up.
      12-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I think there are many criteria that go into it lighting up but from what I have seen, someone coming up faster than you and you have not cleared more than 3 car lengths it will light up.

It’s not affected by snow, dirt, grime. It also seems to ignore stationary objects.

The indicator LED is lighter than some cars but it’s fine to me.
      12-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I think there are many criteria that go into it lighting up but from what I have seen, someone coming up faster than you and you have not cleared more than 3 car lengths it will light up.

It's not affected by snow, dirt, grime. It also seems to ignore stationary objects.

The indicator LED is lighter than some cars but it's fine to me.

I'll play more in the way home today. I never saw it during the day lite yesterday, so either I didn't get in a situation where it triggered or it was just too faint to see it. I was expecting it to work and be as bright as others I have owned where anyone in your blind spot for any reason triggered it.

This info has helped, I'll check it out.

Thanks!
      12-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Remember the Blind Spot only comes on i believe at a certain speed. I find it to be bothersome. So I coded it so it can come on at speeds i believe above 10 mph.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel733 View Post
Remember the Blind Spot only comes on i believe at a certain speed. I find it to be bothersome. So I coded it so it can come on at speeds i believe above 10 mph.
I wish it came on earlier as well, I thought the coding change option was to 20mph. On my list.
Not sure if you can code brighter flashing...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
RedStick
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

I've gotten in the habit of using my blinker for most, if not all turns when on the freeway here in Houston.

Once the blinker is on and I have a car in the blind spot, my wheel vibrates and the mirror indicator flashes. I believe this takes place if the indicator light was lit or not.

I too am still trying to figure the indication out, but it is my opinion the indicator lights up only when a vehicle approaches you, but certainly not as you pass a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #16
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
I've gotten in the habit of using my blinker for most, if not all turns when on the freeway here in Houston.

Once the blinker is on and I have a car in the blind spot, my wheel vibrates and the mirror indicator flashes. I believe this takes place if the indicator light was lit or not.

I too am still trying to figure the indication out, but it is my opinion the indicator lights up only when a vehicle approaches you, but certainly not as you pass a vehicle.

That is exactly what I found yesterday. When I put my blinker on next to a car it worked 100% of the time.

I also never noticed how often I don't use my blinker as I overtake a car on the highway with no other traffic around. The lane departure warning sure reminds you. LOL
      12-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #17
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

This system functions with correct usage of blinkers. Blinkers on mean you do not get lane departure rumble. I do believe that the blind spot warning is more sensitive when your blinker is activated than without. This stuff is basically standard equip on Toyota and Honda vehicles for 2019.

Last edited by AlpineX; 12-09-2018 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #18
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This system functions with correct usage of blinkers. Blinkers on mean you do not get lane departure rumble. I do believe that the blind spot warning is more sensitive when your blinker is activated than without. This stuff is basically standard equip on Toyota and Honda vehicles for 2019.

LOL it was in my 2012 Ford Explorer as well, it just works differently is all. When I stupidly expected it to work like my other cars, it seemed to not be working, but now that it has been explained to me it seems to be working correctly. I found a few things out today.....

#1 - when driving in the right hand lane, overtaking traffic sets it off 100% of the time as it should.

#2 - even when it is not lit up, hitting the blinker will trigger it 100% of the time

#3 - it appears much brighter during the day, but still not Bright enough that I see it in my side vision well. But if looking at my mirrors as I should, I see it easily.

#4 - driving slow enough to allow people to pass me is excruciating!!!!!

So all is well. Thanks for the explanation all. Just cruising this forum before I bought it showed me a TON of things it would have taken me a year to stumble up on myself even being the manual reading weenie I am. After 24 hours with it I am pretty happy with it so far. Thanks for all the knowledge.
      12-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #19
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:

So all is well. Thanks for the explanation all. Just cruising this forum before I bought it showed me a TON of things it would have taken me a year to stumble up on myself even being the manual reading weenie I am. After 24 hours with it I am pretty happy with it so far. Thanks for all the knowledge.
#4 Did you get the V8? ha

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #20
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

#4 Did you get the V8? ha

Nope. They were tough to find and impossible to buy with my budget. SUV is a 3rd car, so can't go crazy. besides, I have 2 and 4 wheel "fun" vehicles when I have a need for speed. I have been very surprised though. The X5 has the same HP as what it is replacing, but is feels like it has 50-100 more. It rides "heavier" than what it is replacing but drives "lighter". Which is perfect.