BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
dinanx6f16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 F16

FI downpipe

Hey guys! I am thinking of installing an Fi catted high-flow downpipe (200 cell) on my 2017 x6 f16 x35i. It's tuned by Dinan and I think the Fi downpipe would make a pretty big difference in HP and Torque. Does anyone have any experience with the Fi downpipes? and downpipes in general. I am going for the ones with a cat (so catted not catless). And will changing the downpipe to a catted make a significant change in sound? Don't want it to drone too much.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I really doubt you'd notice a difference in power just by changing a down pipe.
Appreciate 1
yewlock697.50
      12-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

It will be louder for sure. But in that case keep in mind if you'll want to install MPE (which is exhaust for 35i that is worth having) - it might get too loud.

As for hp/tq gain, as turboawd said downpipe itself does little to really increase power, unless you will tune it after. Downpipe is just a piece of pipe - it can't increase your hp or tq. It's the tune that has to be flashed that will have different map with better timing and possibly boost. That will give you real hp/tq increase. Downpipe itself is just a requirement for a proper tune so that you won't clog the system with melted cat from increased heat and boost.
Appreciate 1
yewlock697.50
      12-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I really doubt you'd notice a difference in power just by changing a down pipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
It will be louder for sure. But in that case keep in mind if you'll want to install MPE (which is exhaust for 35i that is worth having) - it might get too loud.

As for hp/tq gain, as turboawd said downpipe itself does little to really increase power, unless you will tune it after. Downpipe is just a piece of pipe - it can't increase your hp or tq. It's the tune that has to be flashed that will have different map with better timing and possibly boost. That will give you real hp/tq increase. Downpipe itself is just a requirement for a proper tune so that you won't clog the system with melted cat from increased heat and boost.
He got Dinan tune so downpipe do help a bit of HP/Torque but not a big difference. Sound is definitely louder.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 X35I

I went with a catted ER DP about 2 months back. I cannot tell you how much additional sound just the dp adds because I installed it at the same time as my MPE. Exhaust is pretty loud at initial start and about 15-20 seconds dies down to a much more tolerable sound during idle.

Overall I do not think sound is overbearing at normal steady speeds during daily driving. The radio drowns out most of the sound. When you step on it, you will definitely hear it. I've had a lot of strangers that are car enthusiasts and dealer personnel ask me what I have done since they really like the sound. I'm quite happy with it, but my fiance' and mom both hate riding in it and said it's not what they expect a BMW to sound like.

As far as HP, I can't say you are going to notice a major difference with just a DP. I initially did the MPPK first, then I did the JB4, BMS Intake, ER Catted DP, and MPE all at once. With everything stacked, it has made a world of difference. A totally different animal compared to stock.

I will warn you in advance. I went catted with a 200 cell thinking I could get the benefits of a DP, but also avoid getting a CEL. I was wrong. CEL came on the first 35 miles driven. I tried a few work arounds to beat the O2 sensor like using a Mini Cat and Angled CEL Fix from Big Daddy's Garage. Neither worked. I do have 1 other product I will be trying in the next few weeks that I purchased from Ben - R33 RGSport on this forum to try another method of beating the CEL. I'll report back to the forum once I have some results.

Other than the CEL, I love it. With my stack on, I feel like I am getting some extra power and I like the additional sound.

Here is a sound clip of cold start and idle. I will get a video posted sometime soon with outside revs and inside driving to compare sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMiTnq7m8k

Last edited by JWK170; 12-10-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12912.50
DuSh2113.50
      12-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
dinanx6f16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post
I went with a catted ER DP about 2 months back. I cannot tell you how much additional sound just the dp adds because I installed it at the same time as my MPE. Exhaust is pretty loud at initial start and about 15-20 seconds dies down to a much more tolerable sound during idle.

Overall I do not think sound is overbearing at normal steady speeds during daily driving. The radio drowns out most of the sound. When you step on it, you will definitely hear it. I've had a lot of strangers that are car enthusiasts and dealer personnel ask me what I have done since they really like the sound. I'm quite happy with it, but my fiance' and mom both hate riding in it and said it's not what they expect a BMW to sound like.

As far as HP, I can't say you are going to notice a major difference with just a DP. I initially did the MPPK first, then I did the JB4, BMS Intake, ER Catted DP, and MPE all at once. With everything stacked, it has made a world of difference. A totally different animal compared to stock.

I will warn you in advance. I went catted with a 200 cell thinking I could get the benefits of a DP, but also avoid getting a CEL. I was wrong. CEL came on the first 35 miles driven. I tried a few work arounds to beat the O2 sensor like using a Mini Cat and Angled CEL Fix from Big Daddy's Garage. Neither worked. I do have 1 other product I will be trying in the next few weeks that I purchased from Ben - R33 RGSport on this forum to try another method of beating the CEL. I'll report back to the forum once I have some results.

Other than the CEL, I love it. With my stack on, I feel like I am getting some extra power and I like the additional sound.

Here is a sound clip of cold start and idle. I will get a video posted sometime soon with outside revs and inside driving to compare sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMiTnq7m8k
Oh! I was also thinking of putting my muffler back on and using an mpe ! But im not sure yet haha. Mine is currently muffler delete and i really love the sound but it just drones pretty bad in the highway so i'd either have to put it in sport so the rpm stays above 2.5k or downshift myself to keep it around 2.5k rpm. My two main worry of adding a downpipe is the sound being too loud with my muffler delete, and im also worried that changing the downpipe might mess up the car and void the warranty at the same time. Im thinking of getting the fi downpipe and save up for the fi exhaust system. But its like $5k for the exhaust super pricy.
Thanks for the post!! Much appreciated
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      12-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
dinanx6f16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post

Yea bro for sure! I got the dinan tune so i feel that they should be able to work together! Just worried about droning
Appreciate 0