BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
blbroo
↓ That's Andy ↓
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & UrS6 Gone: K04 B8 A4

Renting house out during PGA tournament

The PGA Championship this year is at a course less than a half mile from my house. Out of curiosity, I sent an email to the course about renting the house out, trying to learn more about renting it, thinking it would be a fan or PGA employees. I quickly got a reply that they are needing more houses for the golfers to stay in and my house would be great since we have 5 bedrooms and a pool. The kicker surprise was that it would pay us somewhere between $8000 and $19000 for nine days.

Posting here to see if anyone has experience renting in a situation like this. Being that it would be a PGA pro in our house, I'm not worried about theft or damage so much.

We don't NEED the money, but it seems to be an easy way to pay for a really nice vacation.
      04-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Very interesting. I have never done it personally but know of many that do on a regular basis. Hopefully somebody here can chime in that has a personal experience for you.

That amount of money for only 9 days is pretty significant even if you don't need it. Like you said, that would make for a nice vacation. Next you can start a thread about where to go for vacation and I'm sure you will get great replies. My vote is for Bora Bora. Best place I have ever been. Not even close.
Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
      04-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by blbroo View Post
The PGA Championship this year is at a course less than a half mile from my house. Out of curiosity, I sent an email to the course about renting the house out, trying to learn more about renting it, thinking it would be a fan or PGA employees. I quickly got a reply that they are needing more houses for the golfers to stay in and my house would be great since we have 5 bedrooms and a pool. The kicker surprise was that it would pay us somewhere between $8000 and $19000 for nine days.

Posting here to see if anyone has experience renting in a situation like this. Being that it would be a PGA pro in our house, I'm not worried about theft or damage so much.

We don't NEED the money, but it seems to be an easy way to pay for a really nice vacation.
Shame it wouldn't be Tiger....

I mean he does like to "party"! Between being a sex addict and hooked on boos and pain killers what more can a guy ask for!?!

Hope his drug dealer doesn't yell out while he's putting this time....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 01:26 AM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

When the Super Bowl came to the People's Republic A few years ago. A lot of people used Airbnb and other methods to rent out there places for ridiculous prices.

What are you to do when somebody offers to Pay your mortgage for a few months ?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

super cool.
Keep us posted on which player you get if you go through with it.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
blbroo
↓ That's Andy ↓
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Very interesting. I have never done it personally but know of many that do on a regular basis. Hopefully somebody here can chime in that has a personal experience for you.

That amount of money for only 9 days is pretty significant even if you don't need it. Like you said, that would make for a nice vacation. Next you can start a thread about where to go for vacation and I'm sure you will get great replies. My vote is for Bora Bora. Best place I have ever been. Not even close.
We have each been to a lot of places, but for some reason, bora bora has never been on our list. We usually pic places away from typical tourist flocking. The one time we did an all inclusive in Mexico, we were all done with it two days early, even having a car and doing some exploring. Laborie, St. Lucia was very cool, staying just outside of the village and eating local. Hands down the most refreshing though was 7 days with a horse and wagon in the Wicklow mountains of Ireland. No wifi, no phone, a glass of whiskey while driving the wagon and buses of tourists that take pictures of you thinking you are a gypsy.

http://clissmannhorsecaravans.com/

Next month, we are spending 10 days traveling around Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
super cool.
Keep us posted on which player you get if you go through with it.
Will do. We are putting our listing together this weekend and the system is open for the golfers to start booking later this month.
      04-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

If you get Dustin Johnson, hide some cameras around to see which pro's wife he's banging now!

Oh, and put some extra hand rails on the stairs along with some padding in case he "falls" again...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

That sounds great. Interested to hear how much money you are able to receive from this. How many sq ft is your home?

I would not say Bora Bora is full of tourists. Its too expensive for many. Mostly people on their honeymoon. We did stay at a resort but it was at the end of February which is their off season. If you go across the bay to the island that boarders the ocean "the motu" there are places to stay and things to do yet there is no power on the motu. Also very few people. Weather is in the 80s every day and 70s every night year round which I consider perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
blbroo
↓ That's Andy ↓
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
That sounds great. Interested to hear how much money you are able to receive from this. How many sq ft is your home?

I would not say Bora Bora is full of tourists. Its too expensive for many. Mostly people on their honeymoon. We did stay at a resort but it was at the end of February which is their off season. If you go across the bay to the island that boarders the ocean "the motu" there are places to stay and things to do yet there is no power on the motu. Also very few people. Weather is in the 80s every day and 70s every night year round which I consider perfect.
I love off season vacations. We stayed on Exuma in October one year and would only see a couple of other tourists each day. Miles of awesome beaches to ourselves.

Our house is two fully finished levels of just under 2000 square feet each and sits on 1.4 acres in Town and Country, MO. Six official bedrooms with one being used as an office. We got a great deal on it because it hadn't been updated since the early 80s and other people only saw the shag carpet, brass fixtures and pink kitchen. When we went to see it the first time, I found a piece of loose carpet and saw hardwood floors that had never been walked on. Being so close to the course, there will be traffic control at each entry to make sure only residents, or their visitors, come through.

The pink kitchen and carpet are gone..
Attached Images

RickFLM410981.00
      04-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
If you get Dustin Johnson, hide some cameras around to see which pro's wife he's banging now!

Oh, and put some extra hand rails on the stairs along with some padding in case he "falls" again...
DJ is a very close friend of Jr Thomas, they hang all the time, dont believe the rumors. He is whipped by Paulina lol.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
DJ is a very close friend of Jr Thomas, they hang all the time, dont believe the rumors. He is whipped by Paulina lol.
It was a joke... But OP can at least put the padding on the stairs so he won't hurt himself if he falls again!
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10816.50
      04-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
It was a joke... But OP can at least put the padding on the stairs so he won't hurt himself if he falls again!

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #13
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

A former coworker has a house at augusta and he always rents it out and goes on vacation.

For 10+ years, every year with no issues. He puts all valuables in his safe just to mitigate the risks. Usually the renter pays for a professional cleaning service to come in and clean everything.

Id do it if it was me.
Appreciate 2
blbroo53.00
      04-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I bought my timeshare in Palm Springs for this very reason back around 1988.

I still have never been to my time share, but also have never been able to sell off my yearly stay to some golfer ;(
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I would do it if I could. But my house is a mess with kids stuff all over the place. It comes down to how quickly can you take out your personal stuff that you don't want people seeing, touching or is in the way.

I know some people simply live in a clutter-less house and that's a perfect rental such as your scenario.

I use to live in the same town that hosts an annual PGA major event. The top dollar rental houses are ones in the course community, and those are all taken by the golfers. The further you are, the more pricing concession you'll have to make and more likely you'll just be renting it to either fans or media, which increases your risk and decreases your return. At one point, what's the difference between this and AirBnb?
      04-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I bought my timeshare in Palm Springs for this very reason back around 1988.

I still have never been to my time share, but also have never been able to sell off my yearly stay to some golfer ;(
so, even on paper, are you at all in the black?
      04-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
so, even on paper, are you at all in the black?
Every penny I have spent on that place has been in the red. I couldn't even claim it as a second home on taxes. Currently I spend about $180/qrtr on dues. Have tried and can't seem to find some other sucker, I mean, prospective buyer.

At some point I will visit. I WILL, IWILLIWILLL!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Every penny I have spent on that place has been in the red. I couldn't even claim it as a second home on taxes. Currently I spend about $180/qrtr on dues. Have tried and can't seem to find some other sucker, I mean, prospective buyer.

At some point I will visit. I WILL, IWILLIWILLL!!!!
if you literally give it away, will people take it?