BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
R4mbler
Rep
Drives: 382i

Cool 2015 F15 xdrive35i | Strange USB/Bluetooth iPhone problem

Strange thing happening with iphone connecting via USB and BlueTooth

Started happening past 10 days.

Morning cold start (car parked inside Garage, of course!). Before pressing 'Start', I connect my iPhone via USB. iPhone buzzes as the phone starts charging.

I then fire the beast up and everything works fine. USB, BT etc. Also the parking assist cameras (360 view and the rear camera with guidance lines)

Drive to work - all fine.

Later in the day if I step out or when I head back home, - following the same process of connecting the phone - USB and BT fail to connect. The media screen seems to flash Reading... for a split second and then shows Not Connected. Different Apple cables have been tried - same result. In addition, the Parking assist cameras go dark. 360 as well as Rear.

In this 'not connected' situation, phone charges via USB fine, incoming outgoing calls work fine via BT. Any music playing shows that music's playing via BMW speakers! But no sound on the speakers and the screen keeps showing 'not connected' and even BT says 'no device connected' - while my phone is listed in under devices.

It has been suggested that the battery's age may be causing this. Can it?
This is a new to me 2015 car with 38K miles on it. Don't really know the age of the battery yet. Need to look into that. But all other electrics work ok - so not really sure whether a battery change will solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

I would start the motor BEFORE connecting the phone. I have noticed in many cars that the auxiliary 12V supplies are not very stable when the motor is cranking, so I don't have anything plugged in before the motor fires and the alternator is running. Some may consider this mechanical sympathy running to OCD, but it works for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
firstbimmer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 & '15 f15 X5 35i x

The car definitely has battery issues. My dealer replaced mine under warranty around 43k miles. I have a 2015 35i.

I dont remember what the issue was that they listed for the battery replacement as they did it very proactively. It was a secondary issue unrelated to the car being in for a sunroof issue. I do remember them saying that there are lots of random issues that pop up related to the battery and sometimes replacing the battery fixes it.

I haven't had any electrical gremlins since the new battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
R4mbler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
I would start the motor BEFORE connecting the phone. I have noticed in many cars that the auxiliary 12V supplies are not very stable when the motor is cranking, so I don't have anything plugged in before the motor fires and the alternator is running. Some may consider this mechanical sympathy running to OCD, but it works for me.
Will try this later today and report. Thanks much
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
R4mbler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbimmer View Post
The car definitely has battery issues. My dealer replaced mine under warranty around 43k miles. I have a 2015 35i.

I dont remember what the issue was that they listed for the battery replacement as they did it very proactively. It was a secondary issue unrelated to the car being in for a sunroof issue. I do remember them saying that there are lots of random issues that pop up related to the battery and sometimes replacing the battery fixes it.

I haven't had any electrical gremlins since the new battery.
I have a brake check coming up - I'll include this and have them look at it - hopefully a battery replacement. let's see.
Appreciate 0