BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2021, 01:35 AM   #23
Deckdout2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
As mentioned above, if you don't want to pull the transmission lines to get to the two 10mm nuts holding the stock exhaust bracket on, I used a combination of long ratchet extensions, universal joints, and enough profanity to make a sailor blush....it can be done, just a pain in the ass.

Also when you are bolting on the pipes, leave everything else finger tight until you have the turbo to downpipe clamp fitted properly and tightened down first, then tighten everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyB0yx5m View Post
Lol I forced mine out and thanked god I didn't break anything.. the right way to do it is to remove trans line or bracket but u could get it out without removing either.. once that's out everything else is easy..good luck and it's deff worth the work
Preciate the response! I got all the hardware securing it off, I’m just stuck trying to find the perfect angle to get it removed from that tight driver’s side. I’m gonna give it another shot tomorrow and with luck I’ll be able to get that thing out. I’ll give it a little more hell this time around. Thanks both!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 02:55 AM   #24
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdout2 View Post
Preciate the response! I got all the hardware securing it off, I’m just stuck trying to find the perfect angle to get it removed from that tight driver’s side. I’m gonna give it another shot tomorrow and with luck I’ll be able to get that thing out. I’ll give it a little more hell this time around. Thanks both!
It's tricky, I had to remove alot of the heat shielding too and then you had to kinda rotate it as you lifted it out. Fun stuff

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-16-2021 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #25
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

It deff helps to have someone up top and someone below.. I didn't it myself but took me bout a hour of playing with it lol deff sucks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #26
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Welp there in with the bm3 stage 2 93 map.. what a difference.. the stage 2 agg map is way to poppy for me..
Yo Johnny you ever get an CEL with the VRSF DPs? I have a set and I'm thinking of doing the swap.
      06-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #27
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No. Never had cel and I just realized I never set my bm3 to have o2 sensors coded off lol passes inspection n all idk how
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:26 PM   #28
blown99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M

Quote:
No. Never had cel and I just realized I never set my bm3 to have o2 sensors coded off lol passes inspection n all idk how
What you passed inspection with catless!? 😳 I suuuuuure hope I get that lucky too. My M6 did not pass lol
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #29
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yea idk how lol I never configured my o2 sensors off lol unless it comes programmed off from bm3 with stage 2 automatically
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #30
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok last one - what about fumes? I drive with windows up mostly but my wife would kill me if it smells.
      06-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #31
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If your catless your getting fumes idc what anyone else says I can't tell you bout high flow catted ones cause haven't seen them on anybody's build as I think defeats the point.. now if u run stage 1 it's deff less smell then stage 2.. hope this helps
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #32
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If your catless your getting fumes idc what anyone else says I can't tell you bout high flow catted ones cause haven't seen them on anybody's build as I think defeats the point.. now if u run stage 1 it's deff less smell then stage 2.. hope this helps
Yo Johnny - you think for sure I can add the vrsf downpipes on stage one with our cels? I'll deactivate my 02s of course but I just want to be sure. Might swap them next week.
      07-09-2021, 05:42 AM   #33
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

100%!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #34
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
100%!!
Im Scared as fuck. 🥺 did you order new flanges and gaskets or kept the old ones?
      07-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #35
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just new gaskets but if I did it again I'd get new v band clamps to be safe
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 05:41 PM   #36
gaymondlee
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Bmw x5 x35i, g55, 458, nsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
If you don't want to remove the trans line you need https://tite-reach.com to remove the lower DP bracket nuts which are 10mm believe. Other wise you will have zero throw to loosen these.

From the top its all self explanatory. Get new clamps and gaskets. You need to drop the muffler onto a rolling jack and mids onto a dolly to slide the whole thing out when uninstalling and slide it all back in when reinstalling the catless.

I would recommend gutting the stock pipes and going with BM3 stage 2, deleting the cold start.
Which tite-reach wrench will I need? the 3/8 or the 1/4? I'm just trying to be thrifty and not buy the whole set unless its recommended (like getting their low pro socket set and/or wobble adapter) as I will need other tools (race ramp cribs?). Thanks for advice
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #37
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeemer2022 View Post
Staten got banned for getting into it with Max Verstappen fans in the F1 forums. One of the biggest fans was also a moderator and did not like some of Statens jokes. I hear he made a new account though.

For some reason I know everything Staten knows, it's weird. If I recall correctly; he bought on Amazon, took him 15 mins to get the nuts off and he sent them back after. The 1/4 one is the one you'll use, its long and skinny and makes short work of those nuts.
That suxs, well I'm sure Staten is with us in spirit.

Will the 3/8 version work, or it is to thick/wide?

Last edited by Chilled; 02-26-2022 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #38
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

All good, don't worry. Just research for the moment. I was just more curious if I needed to get the 1/4. I did end up getting those tite-reach low profile sockets as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 10:15 PM   #39
gaymondlee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For some reason I know everything Staten knows, it's weird. If I recall correctly; he bought on Amazon, took him 15 mins to get the nuts off and he sent them back after. The 1/4 one is the one you'll use, its long and skinny and makes short work of those nuts.
Thanks for letting me know about the 1/4 and also link to the write up. Its getting me more confident to just DIY on my driveway. How much clearance underneath would you say is ideal? I just have a reg floor jack that goes to ~18 inches and jack stands about 16"? I was also considering the race ramp cribs (hopefully just 1 pair in the front will suffice) instead of frame/jack stands since I can gain more clearance underneath. I won't sell my cat since I don't know how long I will have the car. I bought it on a whim from a friend of a friend about 5 weeks ago for what i thought was cheap but I am enjoying the car so far. I've never previously looked at or considered the x5 (basically i just buy whatever I get offered if I think I'm getting a deal). So was the tite-reach strong enough or was it approaching the torque limits? The 1 star reviews for the wrench say it breaks easy so if I am just buying 1 I can just pay more for better quality like the mac tool ($96) version since i got sticker shock for the snap on one ($220). I will literally have to at min use it 2x when I remove to sell the car and/or when I reach the 2 yr mark for another smog check for registration. Thanks again for the info
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #40
gaymondlee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 1/4 Tite reach brand worked well for me. I thought it was quite robust, more than enough for these nuts. Just return to Amazon if it breaks. For clearance, i drove up on the ramps, then jacked it up to the max and then dropped it on jack stands. Plenty of clearance. If your location does a real smog test where they sniff the exhaust, then you will have to reinstall. Here in NY they allow you to fail on readiness. So, I get a tune that stifles the O2 reporting a CEL and I pass that way.
Thanks I feel better and just ordered the tite-reach wrench. Also ordered the jack stand puck that fits into the rectangular lift points and additional height rubber ones so I can jack up the front this week and see how much space I have or will need before deciding on which height race ramps to order. Now to decide on catless vs catted downpipe. I do have a guy/hookup that helps me smog my nsx but thats obd1 so i'm guessing they can cheat easier than with an obdii system
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 10:10 PM   #41
X5eM
Rep
Drives: X5M (F85)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaymondlee View Post
Thanks for letting me know about the 1/4 and also link to the write up. Its getting me more confident to just DIY on my driveway. How much clearance underneath would you say is ideal? I just have a reg floor jack that goes to ~18 inches and jack stands about 16"? I was also considering the race ramp cribs (hopefully just 1 pair in the front will suffice) instead of frame/jack stands since I can gain more clearance underneath. I won't sell my cat since I don't know how long I will have the car. I bought it on a whim from a friend of a friend about 5 weeks ago for what i thought was cheap but I am enjoying the car so far. I've never previously looked at or considered the x5 (basically i just buy whatever I get offered if I think I'm getting a deal). So was the tite-reach strong enough or was it approaching the torque limits? The 1 star reviews for the wrench say it breaks easy so if I am just buying 1 I can just pay more for better quality like the mac tool ($96) version since i got sticker shock for the snap on one ($220). I will literally have to at min use it 2x when I remove to sell the car and/or when I reach the 2 yr mark for another smog check for registration. Thanks again for the info
The 1/4 Tite reach brand worked well for me. I thought it was quite robust, more than enough for these nuts. Just return to Amazon if it breaks. For clearance, i drove up on the ramps, then jacked it up to the max and then dropped it on jack stands. Plenty of clearance. If your location does a real smog test where they sniff the exhaust, then you will have to reinstall. Here in NY they allow you to fail on readiness. So, I get a tune that stifles the O2 reporting a CEL and I pass that way.
What tune? Bm3? Im due for my inspection 😅
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #42
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Anyone have sound clips after DPs?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #43
X5eM
Rep
Drives: X5M (F85)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5eM View Post
What tune? Bm3? Im due for my inspection 😅
Yup. Just make sure you tune a few weeks before you go for inspection. You want to give time for the other systems to be ready. I've passed for 10 years no questions asked.
An OTS stage 2 tune will work I assume? Or should i opt for a custom one
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #44
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
Anyone have sound clips after DPs?
Ill try to get a few revs tonight. For me, stock exhaust with deleted primary cats sounds the best. I have no drone, the valves work perfectly to control the aggressive note and its wayyyy cheaper. In short; cheaper and sounds better.
I agree with u the stock exhaust should stay just need catless do and your set
Appreciate 1