Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
Where did you get the warranty because I'm searching and no one wants to cover the motor
If your vehicle is still under factory warranty, I'd recommend US warranty. I bought it off a BMW X5 FB group member who also owns a Cadillac dealership in FL. Made one claim for Vanos solenoids that paid for nearly 50% of the total plan cost already.
I jus purchased carchex hope fully they don't bullshit me lol
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 04:58 AM   #90
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

I am definitely going to look into getting an extended warranty when the existing runs out in April.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #91
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where did you get the warranty because I'm searching and no one wants to cover the motor
If your vehicle is still under factory warranty, I'd recommend US warranty. I bought it off a BMW X5 FB group member who also owns a Cadillac dealership in FL. Made one claim for Vanos solenoids that paid for nearly 50% of the total plan cost already.
I thought carchex won't sell for m models. I bought an assurant warranty for my f86.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:32 AM   #92
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought carchex won't sell for m models. I bought an assurant warranty for my f86.
Yea I got into it wit the rep but she said because it's backwards X5M not like M5 or M3… they won't cover my f80
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #93
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_roll View Post
I am definitely going to look into getting an extended warranty when the existing runs out in April.
In my experience, you'll have better luck securing a 3rd party/extended warranty if you purchase before your existing factory warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:56 PM   #94
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Guess I have to call my SA friend and get the on it quickly before warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #95
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 21 M8CGC, 19 X7 M50

Interesting turn of events with my 17 x5m!!

INTERESTING TURN OF EVENTS WITH MY X5M!!

I just wanted to provide an update of what has transpired over the last couple of days with my X5M.
BMWNA & the servicing dealer explained that BMW has rejected any assistance with the engine replacement due to them determining the cause of the engine failure was that the dealership where I purchased it used the wrong weight of oil during their pre-sale service.
At the very beginning of this process, the dealership Sill-Terhar Motors in CO was quick to avoid blame by explaining that they performed their pre-sale inspection and service which included changing the oil etc. Their service department then provided us with a receipt of service for the oil change and inspection. He then also went above and beyond by sending us an actual picture of a can of oil that they used for the oil change. It was determined that the oil they used was 10w/60 and according to BMWNA, the additional weight of this oil caused various parts of the engine to be starved for oil.
We then have found out that the dealership does have a 3 month / 3k mile warranty on all of their used cars through Century. The servicing dealer has been in contact with Century, and the have reviewed the findings and have agreed that the engine needs to be replaced. They then however searched the entire country and found one used X5M engine with 54k miles on it for $16k that they want to through in there. Otherwise they are willing to give us $16k credit towards replacing it with a new engine from BMW. (which the estimate is now at $35k) I rejected this offer as we have no idea where this engine came from or any type of history on it. The servicing dealer also has contested that idea, as not being right for the customer. I am now leaning on the selling dealership to either cover the difference or simply take the vehicle back and they can do as they wish.
I have also reached out to Mike at RK Motorwerks and have received pricing from them on a new engine. Total cost with turbo's etc is approximately $24k, provided they are able to use my existing core engine as a rebuild.
This is still unbelievable to me! We are making progress, but still not sure what direction this is going to go. Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Surgx572.50
9vapors651.50
S1nner126.00
JMAN1111227.00
donut_boi997.50
sly1types431.50
      01-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #96
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

@Bankerbry

Sounds like things are looking up for you. Hope it gets resolved soon.
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      01-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #97
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerbry View Post

I just wanted to provide an update of what has transpired over the last couple of days with my X5M.
BMWNA & the servicing dealer explained that BMW has rejected any assistance with the engine replacement due to them determining the cause of the engine failure was that the dealership where I purchased it used the wrong weight of oil during their pre-sale service.
At the very beginning of this process, the dealership Sill-Terhar Motors in CO was quick to avoid blame by explaining that they performed their pre-sale inspection and service which included changing the oil etc. Their service department then provided us with a receipt of service for the oil change and inspection. He then also went above and beyond by sending us an actual picture of a can of oil that they used for the oil change. It was determined that the oil they used was 10w/60 and according to BMWNA, the additional weight of this oil caused various parts of the engine to be starved for oil.
We then have found out that the dealership does have a 3 month / 3k mile warranty on all of their used cars through Century. The servicing dealer has been in contact with Century, and the have reviewed the findings and have agreed that the engine needs to be replaced. They then however searched the entire country and found one used X5M engine with 54k miles on it for $16k that they want to through in there. Otherwise they are willing to give us $16k credit towards replacing it with a new engine from BMW. (which the estimate is now at $35k) I rejected this offer as we have no idea where this engine came from or any type of history on it. The servicing dealer also has contested that idea, as not being right for the customer. I am now leaning on the selling dealership to either cover the difference or simply take the vehicle back and they can do as they wish.
I have also reached out to Mike at RK Motorwerks and have received pricing from them on a new engine. Total cost with turbo's etc is approximately $24k, provided they are able to use my existing core engine as a rebuild.
This is still unbelievable to me! We are making progress, but still not sure what direction this is going to go. Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you
You really can't blame BMW for their stance, this truly is the fault of the dealer and they are 100 percent responsible using oil made strictly for naturally aspirated older BMW engines that apparently some newbie at the dealers service center slapped in (casting some shade at BMW's marketing department slapping that stupid twin power turbo label on it though)

If it were me, I would only settle with a used engine If dealer included iron clad 5 year power train warranty.
Appreciate 3
9vapors651.50
Surgx572.50
sly1types431.50
      01-06-2022, 09:53 AM   #98
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:

Thank you
Bmw oil is straight garbage jeeeez
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      01-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #99
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

YES!

Quote:

Thank you
This. Is. Awesome.

Very happy for you!

I'll let you know if I think of anything.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:06 PM   #100
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 21 M8CGC, 19 X7 M50

Thank you for all of the help and support. I will keep everyone post as to what the outcome is.
This has been extremely frustrating, but I am relieved for a couple of reasons:
1. The selling dealership clearly is at fault, and I will have recourse if they don't assist.
2. I feel much better knowing that our BMW didn't mysteriously fail for an unknown reason.
Hopefully we all have a little more peace of mind.
I appreciate all of you
Appreciate 5
SaNGRia986.00
9vapors651.50
ggunn9160.00
Surgx572.50
      01-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #101
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Catastrophic failure like this at such low mileage can only be caused by one of the two reasons: Absolute negligence (running out of oil, failure to change oil, etc) or Absolute mechanical failure either through a manufacturing defect or abuse.

Assuming you are like most M owners, we can rule out negligence and abuse. This leaves is only with a manufacturing defect, either in assembly or in a part itself.

I would be highly suspect of your oil pump chain and oil pump sprocket. It is unusual for an engine with such low mileage to have issues with these however it's not impossible. Three tiny little bolts hold on the oil pump sprocket and they have been known to come loose. The Chain has no tensioner and can become loose too (I made a video on it below).

I would have your mechanic pull the lower pan, which is super easy to do on the X5, and inspect the chain and sprocket.

If your oil pump checks out, I would be highly suspect of foreign debris left over from the manufacturing process clogging an oil passage.

The very last and this is a bit of stretch at only 55k miles but a completely clogged CCV tubes can cause oil dilution over time but again this is pretty unlikely unless you are going 15k+ miles between changes but have your mechanic check the CCV system next if no other issues are found.

This was my first thought.

It is so sad that someone used completely wrong oil for this engine! I am glad tho everything is looking up for you!
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 01-06-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
9vapors651.50
      01-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #102
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
You really can't blame BMW for their stance, this truly is the fault of the dealer and they are 100 percent responsible using oil made strictly for naturally aspirated older BMW engines that apparently some newbie at the dealers service center slapped in (casting some shade at BMW's marketing department slapping that stupid twin power turbo label on it though)

If it were me, I would only settle with a used engine If dealer included iron clad 5 year power train warranty.
Agreed on all your points here - the selling dealer confirmed BMW's finding by sending that picture! That's the oil I use in my older NA V8 M3.. I never understood why the label says 'twin turbo power'
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:41 PM   #103
ggunn9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Garage List
2018 X5  [0.00]
I have been following this situation from the start. I am glad things are looking better for you. You still have some tough calls to make.
'23 Tesla Model Y Perf
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:35 PM   #104
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i

This is ridiculous but I'm glad things are turning better for you. In harsh reality is that Everyone kicks the ball including BMWNA. Apparently they have no control over their dealers that are independently owned. Sounded like your dealership slapped their own face and still want to deny. I'm with you on your firm and fair demand. Maybe just let them take the car back and refund you 100% would in th end be your best outcome. Not saying all dealerships are trustworthy but this one definitely need to stay away from.
Appreciate 1
musa423.00
      01-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #105
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:

Thank you
For once the dealer happens to be right, a rare occurrence .
https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #106
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Seriously...will change my oil next week!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:08 PM   #107
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

FYI on FE Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
For once the dealer happens to be right, a rare occurrence .
https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html
There is something about these engines (valvetronic) that apparently makes them vulnerable in certain ways despite being seemingly bulletproof in others.

Despite my tech who is the team lead telling me that straight LL01 5w40 "should be okay," my (2017 F85) users manual and on-board computer both specify LL01-FE compatible oil only. Under the hood it says 0W30 as well.

Right now I'm using Red Line 0W30 that is LL01-FE compatible. Figured I'd switch to Motul Sport 5W40 in the warmer months after he said that, but now questioning it all over again. Might just stick with the Red Line especially since I'll be changing it every 4-5K anyway.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up since not all F85s are the same when it comes to oil requirements.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:24 PM   #108
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
There is something about these engines (valvetronic) that apparently makes them vulnerable in certain ways despite being seemingly bulletproof in others.

Despite my tech who is the team lead telling me that straight LL01 5w40 "should be okay," my (2017 F85) users manual and on-board computer both specify LL01-FE compatible oil only. Under the hood it says 0W30 as well.

Right now I'm using Red Line 0W30 that is LL01-FE compatible. Figured I'd switch to Motul Sport 5W40 in the warmer months after he said that, but now questioning it all over again. Might just stick with the Red Line especially since I'll be changing it every 4-5K anyway.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up since not all F85s are the same when it comes to oil requirements.
I used redline 0W30 engine oil. I liked it so going to redline oils for diffs, Transfer case and transmission service
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:08 PM   #109
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post

"It should be okay" = "It's probably fine" = "It ought to be fine" = "I'm making an assumption that it's most likely going to be OK." = " I really don't know and can't tell you with confidence." = "I don't have all the facts. Take what I'm telling you with a pinch of salt." = "Take what I tell you at your own risk. Don't blame me later. Verify the facts yourself".
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:09 PM   #110
88bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 50i f85 x5m

Wrong filter, ox353/7 is for 50i ox353/6 for the M

Last edited by 88bimmer; 01-06-2022 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
musa423.00