BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2023, 09:49 PM   #23
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

T case fluid change, maybe twice if you have the shudder is the first step. On all the makes using wet clutch with variable clutch pressure for second axle torque, the fluid gets fouled and they shudder. The clutches slip some percentage to negotiate turns and to avoid abrupt lock noises or feeling. The clutches can certainly burn up to but changing the oil is not expensive. I have used GM auto locking transfer case fluid in BMWs and others and never had a problem. Escalades have the auto Tcase with wet clutches and the GM fluid has the special additives and GM fluids are priced well.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 07:31 AM   #24
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

FWIW, this is a really good DIY video just to do the fluid.

https://youtu.be/0Wdd8IlC0wk?si=Y3qq0Q4PzKISOhKI
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2023, 04:50 AM   #25
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
Yep thats the one i was looking at!
Got it loosely translated if anyone is interested. It's rough and doesn't shed too much light on anything as this one seems to be in pretty good condition (apparently).

Speaker1: [00:00:00] Hi everyone! Today we have a distribution box on the table, who is to blame and why has it come to us? In other words, there are no scary complaints or problems. The owner of the machine and also the gearbox and transfer case performs certain manipulations on the repair machine. At times I wanted to make a preventive measure for this junction box, it is 45 L. Respectively, the family could be represented by the three fifths of the chain, which equip several BMV models and series. Fifteen this year. Owners know the problem when the gearbox is not working well, it has both vibration when accelerating and seizure. And yes, it also twitches under load. Why is this happening? Actually, the primary reason is structurally this junction box and it's made in such a way that there is no oil pump inside, which would then drive the oil through its contacts? But here, with tubes and conventional torque, the gears turn and lubrication takes place. If the oil is not changed, remains old, loses its characteristics or does not meet the required specifications, it no longer serves its function. It cannot be changed very easily. The oil needs to be shut off, but you won't be able to do it all the way. It is therefore highly recommended to take preventive measures from time to time. The junction box disassembled in a similar way. We will see what state the elements are in, but in any case we will reduce, everything will be cleaned for now. We will do the necessary manipulation if the discs are in bad condition, but this is unlikely to be the case. So let's just do it in a special way. If it's bad, it needs to be replaced. Let's get down to business and see what we find. No Space.

Speaker2: [00:02:54] Promised and still good. Good teeth. Yes, but there are times when they are not. Something like that. But me too.

[00:03:39] I am on that side.

Speaker2: [00:03:43] A dedicated device. Because the bearing here will probably take it all out of the hull. He always comes out quite well. The lake bed has gone from here. So you have to be very careful to remove the outer part of these hulls to avoid breaking them. The oil is clean. All in all, everything looks very good, but we will of course check. Let's check more. Condition. We have. Magnet. I don't know how many hedgehogs there are here, it's nothing, let's say. Because it works. The can must be something so let's get the oil out now. Good to see that if a person has changed their posture, malacis! Looks good. She. See how this works. You see, there is a gear which is turned by an electric motor, there is of course a control unit inside, but now with the electric motor he turns this gear straight away. The gears work with this gear. This is where the tail of the hull and all that stuff locks in. And then look at the friction discs, how they push, push, push, push and the oil comes in there. Let's get it out of the tube from here.

Speaker1: [00:06:00] Paws are. I don't know.

Speaker2: [00:06:06] Like a smudge, but it comes out.

Speaker1: [00:06:10] I guess it hit the spot.

Speaker2: [00:06:11] Sealant reserved in case of a serious recur. That's how the oil gets there and then here. The bearings here are pretty. So, let's say, they often wear out. Here, a bearing under the fork, also a bearing. And of course this bearing will come in handy. And the chain itself can wear out the clutch. But now if the chain here takes the oil, the recur roughly has a cork. This is the bottom part and here is the cork, then all the oil floats here, but on this side and on the clutch the oil goes through the tubes and somehow by itself Here everything looks fine. Yes, but now that the oil is old and such.

Speaker1: [00:07:13] Thick with years of deposition. Yes.

Speaker2: [00:07:16] Then she can't even go inside. Drum up the problems.

Speaker1: [00:07:23] Yes.

Speaker2: [00:07:35] I used to buy. The chain is in good condition, not bad at all, no plates as the new chain is good, still original, but now here none have been seen yet from the factory with the paint recognised, marked and matching at the corners. Yes, everything looks really beautiful here. Even the second time, the seal doesn't need to be changed because it's not new. Like new.

[00:08:25] Client. This and.

Speaker2: [00:08:34] This will need to be cleaned, then heated up a bit and thrown out.

[00:08:43] So let's do this. To eat for.

Speaker2: [00:08:54] Disposable plastic dusters, but let's use him. So let's check. Bearings. How. The new type of bearing is already closed. Both. 3. Good. Engine bearing. Very often the problem is this bearing, two, both two. And now let's remove the clutch, check the clutch discs. Solid. Edge colour particles it fine. Remains of colour will wash off if you face wash and when you.

Speaker1: [00:10:35] And the fact that it's not too hot, as the colour shows, is.

Speaker2: [00:10:40] It matters if he and she shine and shine.

Speaker1: [00:10:46] As varnished.

Speaker2: [00:10:46] Yes, yes, yes, make them like that. If a normal rocket is normal. Check all bearings all bearings quickly. But without the sound, everyone is normal, but now they need to be washed, cleaned. It is not normally the case that this happens or not.

Speaker1: [00:11:47] It's not real, it's prevention. If you are praised for making such decisions.

Speaker2: [00:12:08] Bearing work surface. I don't know who did it, but it's nothing criminal and everything is fine. The basket falls and then the bearing. Take this. No, he's good. Once more we are told each other surface.

[00:12:39] Or is it new?

Speaker2: [00:12:47] If we play it for time to wash here, we will measure them for you. With a forge. All bearings are fine, but their.

Speaker1: [00:13:20] Super short and fixed summary. The junction box is disassembled. All the knots are right in front of your eyes. As we also discussed on Monday, the man had no complaints about the operation of the junction box, which is commendable. What attitude can he possibly show towards the car and does he change the oil regularly? So not even a sad state of affairs? Wondering what we will do or what would be recommended to replace the rings? Some are definitely due for replacement. Also in that hull there is more washing, cleaning and we will see what condition the seals are in. Of course, there is no point in exchanging good for new, especially if they are original.

Speaker3: [00:14:04] But now.

Speaker1: [00:14:05] We shall see. We will definitely treat this surface cleanly SIA, as this is also where the sealant makes contact with its edge and forms a seal. Then plan more flankers and reduce them. We'll do it, we'll treat it, of course, and we'll clean the friction discs so he doesn't have a shiny surface, but for the most part it's very good. Just in the position the junction box should be. If one regularly changes the oil in the leaf and is gentle in general. And this is what we call prevention. If it's a repair, then there's a clear, clear picture, but this is prevention, where you don't actually need to change much, but you need to do regular preventive work. Bye! What will a new day bring us? The next day. We worked all washed up, so no gloves even needed. Let's start with the fact that, at one time, this cap must replace the plastic with a new one. Bmv doesn't even have to think of anything else. Realistically, in terms of price, an original is an original, well-serving friction discs draw a lot of attention, even if some matt surface on the friction disc is exactly the part whose slats have this coating. A perfectly washed, cleaned magnet does not have that lake at all no sediment surface on which to work the bed, which also seals its place. Everything is in excellent condition. Now all the EU money is left to put it all together. So put the top on the car and drive and enjoy life, then continue the assembly from there. For me, it's all puff pastry or puff cake. The clutch model is ready. Put together, everything works perfectly and smoothly. Sound. Next step. Everything is already assembled in the shell.

Speaker2: [00:17:17] See what it says?

Speaker1: [00:17:19] At last you can see what is written. Because 6 out of 9 we put further. And skiing. The sealant can already be smeared on top. One part here has another part. Now let's put the magnet together. Don't forget the magnet. Go!

[00:18:35] Well, here we are.

Speaker2: [00:18:51] The same, but whole. Here I am. Let's hope that. We would go there.

Speaker1: [00:19:11] And. You look at them in their place.

Speaker2: [00:19:20] In them and then remember the bay.

Speaker1: [00:19:24] What was the state of all the rust?

Speaker2: [00:19:28] Now cleared.

Speaker1: [00:19:30] And let's use it.

Speaker2: [00:19:31] We are already genetic. Smers. And pant..ies. But it was good to get wet here. There was something here before us.

Speaker1: [00:19:53] The job is. The junction box has been serviced. Remained in reality, just fill the oil, but the owner will do it himself during installation, but the main thing is that there is DT 1 in the specification. But for the most part, it's all in the chikiniek. Good running.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 06:52 PM   #26
TheSilence
Rep
Drives: 2017 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
FWIW, this is a really good DIY video just to do the fluid.

https://youtu.be/0Wdd8IlC0wk?si=Y3qq0Q4PzKISOhKI
Thinking about doing this myself - my F85 definitely has had an issue for a while, but a local expert mechanic told me it wasn't that bad yet so I'll try swapping out the fluid since it isn't getting worse. Glad to hear this video is pretty accurate!
Appreciate 0