BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-14-2023, 03:38 PM   #1
KFF_X5M
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

Bootmod3 OTS stage 1 tune undrivable

When I put the tune on my vehicle I can’t drive with enough throttle to get a data log because the engine misfires, it goes into limp mode and cuts ignition off to the cylinder that misfired until I pull over and turn off the car and when I turn it back on all CEL lights are gone and there’s no record of it ever happening.

When I return it to the stock map I can drive the absolute piss out of it in all driving modes with zero counts of knock and can’t recreate the issue.

Protuningfreaks is the vendor, I’ve contacted them and they say they can’t diagnose if I can’t get a datalog. They also confirmed I have the most current version of the tune.

I’ve had the tune for a few years and only recently after putting the tune back on (I had reflashed to stock for last winter and then I’ve had too busy/crazy of a year to care to reflash back to the tune) have I had any problems.

Anyone have any insight on where/what to start troubleshooting first?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:27 PM   #2
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Sounds like bad spark plugs and ignition coils issue. You need one step colder plugs since you are tuned. I would also replace ignition coils at the same time.

https://burgertuning.com/products/ng...der-spark-plug
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #3
KFF_X5M
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoss_F86 View Post
Sounds like bad spark plugs and ignition coils issue. You need one step colder plugs since you are tuned. I would also replace ignition coils at the same time.

https://burgertuning.com/products/ng...der-spark-plug
This was my only guess after switching back to stock and having zero issues. Will an “off the shelf” map still work fine with 1 step colder plugs or will it need a custom tune?

I’ve had coil packs go out before on other cars but when they go out, they go out for good, no weird intermittent stuff which is why I didn’t automatically just replace them.
Appreciate 0