BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Soft Close and Wind Noise

Hello all.

I believe my M has the soft close doors. And I thought it was just a different kind of door mechanism. But I see that people have had theirs replaced and repaired.

So a few questions:

1) What is soft close? And what am I looking out for when it comes to proper functionality?

2) Why does my M have so much wind noise coming from the front doors? I really expected this vehicle to be much quieter at speed. (No issues with water/penetration as far as I know, just an inordinate amount of wind noise that is annoying...)

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
tejasgadhia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Hello all.

I believe my M has the soft close doors. And I thought it was just a different kind of door mechanism. But I see that people have had theirs replaced and repaired.

So a few questions:

1) What is soft close? And what am I looking out for when it comes to proper functionality?

2) Why does my M have so much wind noise coming from the front doors? I really expected this vehicle to be much quieter at speed. (No issues with water/penetration as far as I know, just an inordinate amount of wind noise that is annoying...)

Thanks,
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Hello all.

So a few questions:

Thanks,
Chris
Soft close doors:
      06-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #3
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Its a possibility that your weather striping that seals the doors are worn, and that is allowing wind noise into the cabin.
      06-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

One of the first things I noticed when I test drove a number of them and then bought mine. It's just loud inside. Wind noise and tire noise.

I don't think soft close doors would be related to the issue. If anything, that option just sucks the doors in tight.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #5
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Thank you everyone!
Appreciate 0