BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
5HOUT
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 50i

Hey y'all. '18 50i. Every time I go through the car wash, the dryer blowers open the fuel door. Sometimes aggressively and it slams shut. Other times I need to close it myself. I've tried locking from the inside door and from the key fob (with me inside). The fuel door does lock with the normal park and lock routine. Suggestions? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

mine does the same thing, gets blown open from drive through car washes. i believe it only locks when the vehicle is off.
      05-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Interesting...all the BMWs I've owned, the fuel door was under some type of tension from a spring/clip designed into the fuel door flap hinge. Is your flap "loose" or does it still have tension when trying to open it?

My f06 is the 1st of my BMWs where the fuel flap operates slightly different...it requires pressing down on the left side, and it pops the flap open. All the previous models you'd press on the right side of the flap to open it.

{e53 X5 - press on the right side}

{e38/e39 - press on the right side}

{f06 6GC - press on the left side}

The central locking system only locks the fuel filler flap when you use the remote fob or the driver's exterior door lock cylinder. Using the central locking button inside the car doesn't lock the fuel filler door. This is to allow a fuel attendant (in states or countries that still have them) to access and refuel your vehicle while you and your occupants can remain safe & secure inside the vehicle.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-02-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:58 AM   #4
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 50i - DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5HOUT View Post
Hey y'all. '18 50i. Every time I go through the car wash, the dryer blowers open the fuel door. Sometimes aggressively and it slams shut. Other times I need to close it myself. I've tried locking from the inside door and from the key fob (with me inside). The fuel door does lock with the normal park and lock routine. Suggestions? Thanks
Mostly useless video to start off with, but this kid's first hack addresses the fuel door by adding a small magnet to the inside of the door.

It's odd the there is no actual latch holding it closed when the car is unlocked with ours.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
5HOUT
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedup35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5HOUT View Post
Mostly useless video to start off with, but this kid's first hack addresses the fuel door by adding a small magnet to the inside of the door.

It's odd the there is no actual latch holding it closed when the car is unlocked with ours.

Thanks for the magnet idea in the video, unfortunately the fuel door is aluminum.
Appreciate 0