BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
5x
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Dealer updated my software and no more Apple Carplay

Was getting some service done on my x5 and one of the issues was the delayed car play. It wouldn't sync properly with the audio or video, wasn't so bad for listening to music, there was only a delay in the display when the music changed, it would be like 2-3 seconds behind. Anyway, they updated the software and now all my coding is reset that came with the car, so I have to recode everything and also my carplay disappeared. I'm going to go out tomorrow morning and start messing around with it. I updated BMW assist so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 12:43 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Did you have carplay activated by BMW or you got it from Ebay or bimmertech?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
5x
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Did you have carplay activated by BMW or you got it from Ebay or bimmertech?
Well the car came with it prior to me buying it. The dealer told me the last owner purchased it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

You had the carplay full screen patch applied, and that is what happens when you connect the car to online ISTA nowadays.

The Carplay FSC has been rejected and deleted. You need to purchase the service again.
Appreciate 1
NoSugar134.50
      03-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x View Post
Was getting some service done on my x5 and one of the issues was the delayed car play. It wouldn't sync properly with the audio or video, wasn't so bad for listening to music, there was only a delay in the display when the music changed, it would be like 2-3 seconds behind. Anyway, they updated the software and now all my coding is reset that came with the car, so I have to recode everything and also my carplay disappeared. I'm going to go out tomorrow morning and start messing around with it. I updated BMW assist so far.
If your account shows that you have an active CarPlay account and CarPlay was on the build then the dealer should be able to restore it. In my case, since I only use CarPlay, I would have noticed it before driving off. Just curious what year in your X5 since CarPlay has worked really well on my 2018 MY.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
BMWofVS
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I had a similar experience. After the dealer installed mppk (software tune) I lost my CarPlay. If you don’t see the CarPlay option in your idrive settings > mobile devices > settings > under Bluetooth Apple CarPlay, try updating BMW Assist.

Edit: I see you already updated BMW Assist? Any luck?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
NoSugar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Thank you for this thread!! No more trips to the dealership I guess. I just paid $850 for an aftermarket CarPlay, and I don't think I can ever go back.

Is there a way to make sure the dealership doesn't accidentally delete it if I need to go in for a service?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by f15 ///M-sport View Post
Thank you for this thread!! No more trips to the dealership I guess. I just paid $850 for an aftermarket CarPlay, and I don't think I can ever go back.

Is there a way to make sure the dealership doesn't accidentally delete it if I need to go in for a service?
You can't "delete" it, it is a separate piece of hardware which is connected in line with your original NBT unit. This thread here is about OEM BMW Carplay, not aftermarket box.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #9
NoSugar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
You can't "delete" it, it is a separate piece of hardware which is connected in line with your original NBT unit. This thread here is about OEM BMW Carplay, not aftermarket box.
Ok, got it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #10
5x
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWofVS View Post
I had a similar experience. After the dealer installed mppk (software tune) I lost my CarPlay. If you don’t see the CarPlay option in your idrive settings > mobile devices > settings > under Bluetooth Apple CarPlay, try updating BMW Assist.

Edit: I see you already updated BMW Assist? Any luck?
No luck. Called BMW assist and spoke with a supervisor. I have to take it back to the dealership and they can apparently revert it. Let's see.
Appreciate 0