BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Not enough stickys available.

Looking at the available stickys I dont see any that's talked about and research alot on here. Theres way too much info floating around here and alot of redundancies. I cant blame newbies for not being able to find common info on the ready for both X5 and X6. I know its mainly X5 drivers on here but there's a good bit of X6 driver on here as well.

Stickys I would like to see.
Suspension
Brakes
Android 10.25 swap/ CarPlay
Coding ( mainly ambient lighting )
Tuning.

You guys know what threads are sticky worthy so I leave that to the moderators.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

I nominate this post for sticky.

In all seriousness.. I don't think mods necessarily visit this page unless someone reported a post. You can see moderators/ admins taking more active role in forums where they actually own the car. Volume of traffic / activity on this subforum is rather low, compared to other forums within post family (mainly their bread and butter - 3 series forums). Thus the structure of this forum is such that there is only one subforum vs how it is organized for others: general, exterior, engine, tires, brakes, suspension, coding etc. You could potentially reach out to mods/admins and ask them to sticky a post. However, like I said... it's very low priority for them.

Also, it would be nice even to remove some current stickies that are no longer applicable. F15 has been out for production for almost 2 years now.

EDIT: For example sticky thread "Best price you received on your new X5". F15 is no longer sold new. This thread only serves as depression induction when someone who picked up a used X5 posts how much they paid. It serves to remind people how much their beloved vehicles lost in value. At this point, this thread is pointless in its original form and does not deserve to be stickied. Now, if it was renamed, into something more general - how much did you pay for your X5 (tracking info on model, options, date of purchase, condition, mileage, warranty), it would be useful as a shopping guide.

Last edited by W37V; 02-24-2020 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I nominate this post for sticky.

In all seriousness.. I don't think mods necessarily visit this page unless someone reported a post. You can see moderators/ admins taking more active role in forums where they actually own the car. Volume of traffic / activity on this subforum is rather low, compared to other forums within post family (mainly their bread and butter - 3 series forums). Thus the structure of this forum is such that there is only one subforum vs how it is organized for others: general, exterior, engine, tires, brakes, suspension, coding etc. You could potentially reach out to mods/admins and ask them to sticky a post. However, like I said... it's very low priority for them.

Also, it would be nice even to remove some current stickies that are no longer applicable. F15 has been out for production for almost 2 years now.

EDIT: For example sticky thread "Best price you received on your new X5". F15 is no longer sold new. This thread only serves as depression induction when someone who picked up a used X5 posts how much they paid. It serves to remind people how much their beloved vehicles lost in value. At this point, this thread is pointless in its original form and does not deserve to be stickied. Now, if it was renamed, into something more general - how much did you pay for your X5 (tracking info on model, options, date of purchase, condition, mileage, warranty), it would be useful as a shopping guide.
I understand that the F15/16 F85/86 section might be small but I'll be damned, the G05/06 F95/96 got more sub sections than we do. Wheres a mod when you need em. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
I understand that the F15/16 F85/86 section might be small but I'll be damned, the G05/06 F95/96 got more sub sections than we do. Wheres a mod when you need em. lol
If you are on computer, you can see who are mods / admins assigned to this forum. Out of 6 people, one is moderator for this forum. His last activity was over 2 years ago. Other admins are rarely active. One of them hasn't been active in over a year. One few months. Unless they must, I highly doubt they would ever visit these pages.

The layout is stupid for this. But you could submit a complaint in the general section of "post" forums. Admins do monitor those boards.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
If you are on computer, you can see who are mods / admins assigned to this forum. Out of 6 people, one is moderator for this forum. His last activity was over 2 years ago. Other admins are rarely active. One of them hasn't been active in over a year. One few months. Unless they must, I highly doubt they would ever visit these pages.

The layout is stupid for this. But you could submit a complaint in the general section of "post" forums. Admins do monitor those boards.
Well I need a new project.. maybe I'll throw us together a web app

How do they get funding for this site anyway?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, would of never thought. So the F15/16 forum is pretty much self ran.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Well I need a new project.. maybe I'll throw us together a web app

How do they get funding for this site anyway?
Same as any other forum - sponsors, paid memberships, advertisements. It's not cheap to run a forum. Time, energy, maintenance, hosting, advertising etc. adds up. However, you might make some $$$ from it. Verticalscope (biggest owner of various enthusiast websites), pulls in about $6 million in revenue per year.

Post (as a whole) is one of the biggest BMW enthusiast forums out there. Might not be the best, but it's decent.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

FWIW, this forum a lot more active than the B-Fest F15 section. This area seems to be the place for newer models.
      03-03-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Excuses.. what I originally inquired about was stickies. Stickies are threads that take a life of it's own. In doing so they are "stuck" to beginning of a thread. Shouldn't have to explain that. Sub forums are a whole different thing. And it doesn't come at an added cost. And if the subforums are so much extra work, why does new G05/6 F95/6 have sub sections even though they are new and therefore not much aftermarket available for it compared to the F series. As for Moderators, I've always knew it to be a high ranking owner/s of such vehicles within a group. I could think of at least 5 users on here than can be moderators. I've also known moderators to be a voluntary and approved ( no I'm not volunteering) .Just compared to other groups no matter how popular they are, if you gonna have a group at all it should be like any other group and properly moderated.
Appreciate 0