BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #639
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
6311
Rep
13,879
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I could cut/paste the definition from Wikipedia but my guess is you've already read up on it. I dont have my own definition for it so I'd simply be parroting what you've more than likely already read and probably understand better than I do. I think the big unknown is what a Sanders administration would attempt to do. How far would he try to go towards this Democratic Socialist Utopian dream? I'm not eager to find out.

OK I wasn't going to copy/paste but maybe it makes sense. Here's the Google definition for dummies like me, with my comments inserted:

"Democratic socialism is a political philosophy supporting political democracy (Det - fine) within a socially owned economy (Det - Uh hang on..), with a particular emphasis on workers' self-management (Det - sounds ok) and democratic control of economic institutions (Det - Hold up...) within a market socialist economy or some form of a decentralised planned socialist economy."

So it sounds to me like we retain our political democracy but everything else is owned and run collectively. Yikes. Do the Bernie Bros look into this at all?

In all honestly, when it comes down to it I'm not too worried about Sanders. I think he probably loses to Trump and even if he does win, he cant do that much damage. He's passed very few bills in the Senate and Vermont is doing just fine. The fact of the matter is he's so far Left of even the Dems in congress that he'll be forced to compromise his positions.
In all honesty I hadn't looked up the definition until after your post (above). The definition is pure Gobbledygook. It uses the phrase "socialist economy" twice. So I'll take the denominator out, and just come back to "socialist", which means socialism, which means there is nothing democratic about it. The wiki definition uses the term "market socialist economy" and "decentralised planned socialist economy". I'm not sure how something can be "planned" and "decentralized" at the same time; especially when it comes to the production and distribution of goods. Maybe that's why socialist countries run out of toilet paper.

On the Net, the next item down from the wiki definition is a canned question that asks which countries are Democratic-Socialist. They are:
China - run by the Communist Party of China
Cuba - run by the Communist Party of Cuba
Laos - have fun with that, and
Vietnam - again, run by Communists before the West intervened.

So based on those definitions and answers, one can only conclude Bernie's "Democratic Socialist" is code for Communism. That traces back the the Marxist definition of Socialism, which is the transition from Capitalism to Communism.

So if the Dems think pivoting to Communism via Bernie is a winning plan, Holy shit, good luck with that. Scary times.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #640
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
BeastieBombRacing's Avatar
112
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: KC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
In all honesty I hadn't looked up the definition until after your post (above). The definition is pure Gobbledygook. It uses the phrase "socialist economy" twice. So I'll take the denominator out, and just come back to "socialist", which means socialism, which means there is nothing democratic about it. The wiki definition uses the term "market socialist economy" and "decentralised planned socialist economy". I'm not sure how something can be "planned" and "decentralized" at the same time; especially when it comes to the production and distribution of goods. Maybe that's why socialist countries run out of toilet paper.

On the Net, the next item down from the wiki definition is a canned question that asks which countries are Democratic-Socialist. They are:
China - run by the Communist Party of China
Cuba - run by the Communist Party of Cuba
Laos - have fun with that, and
Vietnam - again, run by Communists before the West intervened.

So based on those definitions and answers, one can only conclude Bernie's "Democratic Socialist" is code for Communism. That traces back the the Marxist definition of Socialism, which is the transition from Capitalism to Communism.

So if the Dems think pivoting to Communism via Bernie is a winning plan, Holy shit, good luck with that. Scary times.
Not only that, but if you research deeper, a lot of experts say that "democratic socialism" is a misnomer.

He should probably call himself a 'democratic communist', but that'd be career suicide. You'd hope.

What Bernie means by "Democratic socialism" is big government, high taxes, and class war. He promises a bunch of free shit and says he's going to pay for it by sticking his hand in the pockets of the wealthy. Only, when that doesn't work out, where do you think the gov't is going to go next to pay for all these programs? Into the pockets of working class families.
__________________
Current: 2018 M2
Prior: Focus RS Mk3 | E92 M3 Competition | 997.1 Carrera S
Appreciate 2
3798j733.00

      Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #641
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
7862
Rep
13,394
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Oops

https://mobile.twitter.com/therecoun...93748785549312
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #642
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
2032
Rep
3,014
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
AI bot?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #643
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
BeastieBombRacing's Avatar
112
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: KC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
AI bot?
I mean, would you rather him sound like a bumbling idiot , or flail his arms as spittle flies from his mouth?
__________________
Current: 2018 M2
Prior: Focus RS Mk3 | E92 M3 Competition | 997.1 Carrera S
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #644
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
6031
Rep
2,641
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I could cut/paste the definition from Wikipedia but my guess is you've already read up on it. I dont have my own definition for it so I'd simply be parroting what you've more than likely already read and probably understand better than I do. I think the big unknown is what a Sanders administration would attempt to do. How far would he try to go towards this Democratic Socialist Utopian dream? I'm not eager to find out.

OK I wasn't going to copy/paste but maybe it makes sense. Here's the Google definition for dummies like me, with my comments inserted:

"Democratic socialism is a political philosophy supporting political democracy (Det - fine) within a socially owned economy (Det - Uh hang on..), with a particular emphasis on workers' self-management (Det - sounds ok) and democratic control of economic institutions (Det - Hold up...) within a market socialist economy or some form of a decentralised planned socialist economy."

So it sounds to me like we retain our political democracy but everything else is owned and run collectively. Yikes. Do the Bernie Bros look into this at all?

In all honestly, when it comes down to it I'm not too worried about Sanders. I think he probably loses to Trump and even if he does win, he cant do that much damage. He's passed very few bills in the Senate and Vermont is doing just fine. The fact of the matter is he's so far Left of even the Dems in congress that he'll be forced to compromise his positions.
In all honesty I hadn't looked up the definition until after your post (above). The definition is pure Gobbledygook. It uses the phrase "socialist economy" twice. So I'll take the denominator out, and just come back to "socialist", which means socialism, which means there is nothing democratic about it. The wiki definition uses the term "market socialist economy" and "decentralised planned socialist economy". I'm not sure how something can be "planned" and "decentralized" at the same time; especially when it comes to the production and distribution of goods. Maybe that's why socialist countries run out of toilet paper.

On the Net, the next item down from the wiki definition is a canned question that asks which countries are Democratic-Socialist. They are:
China - run by the Communist Party of China
Cuba - run by the Communist Party of Cuba
Laos - have fun with that, and
Vietnam - again, run by Communists before the West intervened.

So based on those definitions and answers, one can only conclude Bernie's "Democratic Socialist" is code for Communism. That traces back the the Marxist definition of Socialism, which is the transition from Capitalism to Communism.

So if the Dems think pivoting to Communism via Bernie is a winning plan, Holy shit, good luck with that. Scary times.
I feel better that I'm not the only one who couldn't make heads or tails of that definition. Lol. It seems somewhat circular. The Wikipedia page on it is a mile long. I made it 1/2 way though the first paragraph and gave up. No thanks. I've got better stuff to do like alphabetize my sock drawer.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh6310.50

      Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #645
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
2032
Rep
3,014
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
I mean, would you rather him sound like a bumbling idiot , or flail his arms as spittle flies from his mouth?
He will have more personality then
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #646
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
6311
Rep
13,879
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I feel better that I'm not the only one who couldn't make heads or tails of that definition. Lol. It seems somewhat circular. The Wikipedia page on it is a mile long. I made it 1/2 way though the first paragraph and gave up. No thanks. I've got better stuff to do like alphabetize my sock drawer.
It's an oxymoron, which is why it has no real definition. Like dry-water...

Makes no sense. Pegs the BS meter.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #647
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
9554
Rep
22,360
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It's an oxymoron, which is why it has no real definition. Like dry-water...

Makes no sense. Pegs the BS meter.
Try dehydrated water it's the best

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; Yesterday at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #648
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
2032
Rep
3,014
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)



Pretty much an explaination of socialism and tears it up point by point with a million sources provided

But democratic socialism is just elected socialism which is the polar opposite of capitalism aka private ownership.


So in short we voted murder and theft of people private property
Appreciate 4
      Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #649
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2173
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
We live outside the city in a place we love. One mile south is a nice piece of blacktop that is smooth with very low traffic. It has a few nice curves and 4 straits that are over a mile long. I always obey the speed limit but a buddy of mine told me you can hit 150mph in each of the straits and it is likely you will never see another car. No houses and no danger to anyone. I often think about going that direction but can't find the courage. Hehehheheheeheeeeeeheheheeee

Really enjoying the X3MC, it has some spunk!
Aw, c'mon. Go out there and let that beast stretch her legs.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #650
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
The Chaddening's Avatar
6804
Rep
3,701
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boulder, CO

iTrader: (0)

Bernie is over here having to defend his comments about glorifying authoritarian governments.

What country am I in?
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Edition

Psalm 23:1
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh6310.50

      Today, 02:06 AM   #651
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
3887
Rep
3,274
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I just find Bernie insufferable. He looks like some kooky old hippie with no grip on reality. Buttigieg and Kloubuchar sound far more rooted in reality.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh6310.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST