BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
guntur
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Post 2016 BMW X5 Vs 2019 Acura MDX

Hi,

I know this topic was discussed in the past several times, however I would like to present my situation based on the specific year and model to cross check my thoughts with experts here.

I test drove a CPO 2016 BMW X5 sdrive35i which has most of the packages I want - M Sport, Driver Assistance/Plus, Premium and rear entertainment packages with low miles around 25K. This still has manufacture warranty till mid of this year and also comes with one year extended warranty. I am really excited about this one and planning to get extended warranty as well (72 months) to cover unexpected expenses in long run.

Another thought is, rather spending amount on the car + extended warranty for 72 months, I could get a brand new 2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD Sport Hybrid vehicle for an extra couple thousand dollars. I test drove MDX Hybrid and the drive/space/comfort was okay but it wasn't exciting much, especially the interior front dashboard is way outdated.

I am mostly inclining towards on X5 but just thought to check with experts and take your opinions as well.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Well, you’re “really excited” about the X5. As for the MDX, you describe it as merely “okay”, but “wasn’t exciting much.” Even went so far as to note the dashboard is “way outdated.”

Simply put, you’re just not into the MDX. Sure the MDX is newer, but that’s about all it has going for it? And, the newness will quickly be outweighed by your dissatisfaction.

Full disclosure: I know nothing about the 2019 MDX other than your observations, but I do know about regret in buying the wrong car. It’s a terrible (and costly) feeling, so my advice is to go for the X5. The F15 is a solid and well-built platform, and will provide you with many years of driving enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #3
ronmexico385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Luxury Line

We considered the mdx a few years ago when we got the x5 but when I researched it I saw a lot of people complaining about tranny issues. Not sure if that’s still an issue or how it compares to the issues the x5 is known for....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

sdrive is 2WD.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
H4L03
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I had a similar thought process on my last car buy and regretted buying the "okay" but newer option.

Get the really exciting drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Considering you're posting on an X5 specific forum, expect to get bias results.

I believe if you posted on a MDX forum (if that even exist), you would get the same results.

F15 is a no-brainer, being that you're in Florida, the sDrive shouldn't be an issue. Post the last 7 of the VIN and we can offer advice if you'd like.

Cheers!
V
      02-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Reign2016
Private
Rep
Drives: space gray xDrive35i MSport

My prior car was the prior gen MDX. Great car, i had it for over 5 years. It checked all the boxes, was a good value, had very minor issues, and was pleasant to drive. I was going to get the new MDX but it looked too minivanish so i explored other options. i ended up getting a 2016 CPO X5 Msport (and added mppk after). All I can say is that I wish i had gotten it sooner. the X5 has a much more solid feel, has 100x better tranny and is 10x more enjoyable to drive. The mdx had good hp but the tranny was always in the wrong gear and shifted real slow. the X5 interior is much nicer although the mdx had rear seats that reclined which my kids miss. Otherwise, the mdx is like a kitchen appliance that works very well and is a very good value for a car, the X5 is a car that you actually look forward to and really enjoy to drive. thats the bottom line i think, at least to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #8
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

They are what they are and the prices are what they are for a reason. The total cost of ownership for the X5 will be significantly higher and just goes up the longer you intend to keep this vehicle. Definitely something I would consider. Other factors to this is if you're able to do some maintenance items yourself or know a trustworthy BMW indy shop, it can really reduce some of those concerns.

With that said, not sure if it's been updated in the last 2 years or so, but the NAV in Acura products IMO are complete garbage to use.
      02-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
guntur
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Well, you're "really excited" about the X5. As for the MDX, you describe it as merely "okay", but "wasn't exciting much." Even went so far as to note the dashboard is "way outdated."

Simply put, you're just not into the MDX. Sure the MDX is newer, but that's about all it has going for it? And, the newness will quickly be outweighed by your dissatisfaction.

Full disclosure: I know nothing about the 2019 MDX other than your observations, but I do know about regret in buying the wrong car. It's a terrible (and costly) feeling, so my advice is to go for the X5. The F15 is a solid and well-built platform, and will provide you with many years of driving enjoyment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Well, you're "really excited" about the X5. As for the MDX, you describe it as merely "okay", but "wasn't exciting much." Even went so far as to note the dashboard is "way outdated."

Simply put, you're just not into the MDX. Sure the MDX is newer, but that's about all it has going for it? And, the newness will quickly be outweighed by your dissatisfaction.

Full disclosure: I know nothing about the 2019 MDX other than your observations, but I do know about regret in buying the wrong car. It's a terrible (and costly) feeling, so my advice is to go for the X5. The F15 is a solid and well-built platform, and will provide you with many years of driving enjoyment.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #10
guntur
Rep

Thank you all for your inputs, I am going to signup for X5
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
guntur
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Considering you're posting on an X5 specific forum, expect to get bias results.

I believe if you posted on a MDX forum (if that even exist), you would get the same results.

F15 is a no-brainer, being that you're in Florida, the sDrive shouldn't be an issue. Post the last 7 of the VIN and we can offer advice if you'd like.

Cheers!
V
0U17161

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #12
guntur
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign2016 View Post
My prior car was the prior gen MDX. Great car, i had it for over 5 years. It checked all the boxes, was a good value, had very minor issues, and was pleasant to drive. I was going to get the new MDX but it looked too minivanish so i explored other options. i ended up getting a 2016 CPO X5 Msport (and added mppk after). All I can say is that I wish i had gotten it sooner. the X5 has a much more solid feel, has 100x better tranny and is 10x more enjoyable to drive. The mdx had good hp but the tranny was always in the wrong gear and shifted real slow. the X5 interior is much nicer although the mdx had rear seats that reclined which my kids miss. Otherwise, the mdx is like a kitchen appliance that works very well and is a very good value for a car, the X5 is a car that you actually look forward to and really enjoy to drive. thats the bottom line i think, at least to me.
Thanks a lot for your detailed experience
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #13
guntur
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
They are what they are and the prices are what they are for a reason. The total cost of ownership for the X5 will be significantly higher and just goes up the longer you intend to keep this vehicle. Definitely something I would consider. Other factors to this is if you're able to do some maintenance items yourself or know a trustworthy BMW indy shop, it can really reduce some of those concerns.

With that said, not sure if it's been updated in the last 2 years or so, but the NAV in Acura products IMO are complete garbage to use.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #14
guntur
Rep

I am going tomorrow to finalize this. This vehicle still has manufacture warranty till June 2020 and comes with 1 year extended till June 2021. However, I am interested in extended warranty and got quote for 72 months/unlimited miles for 4000$. I was asking them what's this warranty name gold/platinum but they are not confirming that yet.

Based on earlier posts, this looks like a good deal but the dealer is discouraging me that I don't have to buy extended warranty now as it overlaps with current certified warranty, meaning purchased warranty kicks off on purchase date. I am worried what could be the price of extended warranty on June 2021, and also if they would still provide 72 months/unlimited miles warranty during that time. Please post your thoughts, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #15
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 50i,750i,650i,GL63

You don't need to buy warranty from selling dealer. I don't believe the policy will overlap, should kick in after the original CPO.

Cassandra Castro @ MB Milwaukee / BMW has the best price in the country by far when I shopped a few month ago. ccastro@iamilwaukee.com

414-543-3000 ext 115

No sales tax from her also, unlike most dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #16
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntur View Post
I am going tomorrow to finalize this. This vehicle still has manufacture warranty till June 2020 and comes with 1 year extended till June 2021. However, I am interested in extended warranty and got quote for 72 months/unlimited miles for 4000$. I was asking them what's this warranty name gold/platinum but they are not confirming that yet.

Based on earlier posts, this looks like a good deal but the dealer is discouraging me that I don't have to buy extended warranty now as it overlaps with current certified warranty, meaning purchased warranty kicks off on purchase date. I am worried what could be the price of extended warranty on June 2021, and also if they would still provide 72 months/unlimited miles warranty during that time. Please post your thoughts, thanks.
They're not confirming if its gold/platinum because it isnt BMW extended warranty rather they are trying to sell you a third party warranty and make it sound like its equivalent to BMW's coverage. If its BMW's extended warranty it doesn't kick off on purchase date rather it would add on to the extra year of extended you currently have. As the previous poster stated you don't need to buy from your dealer for warranty you can call any dealer in the U.S as long as you send that dealer a key read. If you search you would find myself and many others purchase warranty from Christine from Steve Thomas BMW they have the best price hands down.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #17
guntur
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1511 View Post
You don't need to buy warranty from selling dealer. I don't believe the policy will overlap, should kick in after the original CPO.

Cassandra Castro @ MB Milwaukee / BMW has the best price in the country by far when I shopped a few month ago. ccastro@iamilwaukee.com

414-543-3000 ext 115

No sales tax from her also, unlike most dealers.
Thanks a lot, I'll definitely reach out to her.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #18
guntur
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guntur View Post

They're not confirming if its gold/platinum because it isnt BMW extended warranty rather they are trying to sell you a third party warranty and make it sound like its equivalent to BMW's coverage. If its BMW's extended warranty it doesn't kick off on purchase date rather it would add on to the extra year of extended you currently have. As the previous poster stated you don't need to buy from your dealer for warranty you can call any dealer in the U.S as long as you send that dealer a key read. If you search you would find myself and many others purchase warranty from Christine from Steve Thomas BMW they have the best price hands down.
Great, thanks for the insight, I will reach out to them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:07 PM   #19
guntur
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bears View Post
+1 for steve thomas purchased my warranty from them with a week remaining of factory warranty if I remember correctly I paid a little over 4800$ for plat coverage 3 additional years and up to 75k miles
Thanks, will reach out to them.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Coming from an MDX, I definitely miss the trunk space. The X5 is much smaller in the rear so if you have kids and need to haul around a stroller, the MDX is a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #21
guntur
Rep

I purchased this vehicle today and brought home 😄 Thank you all for your inputs.

- Dealer quoted platinum extended warranty (wrap) for 7 years/100K miles as 5500$, and this warranty is effective from service date June 2016. In short, this price is for only 2 years 3 months because CPO extended warranty expires in June 2021.

-Dealer said bmw provides warranty only based on service date but not based on purchase date and only third party warranties provide based on purchase date.

- Dealer also mentioned that BMW offers extended warranty for CPO vehicles only if the mileage is below 40K and the vehicle need to be re-inspected if I want to get extended warranty at later point and inspection cost would be around 499$

- I also got quote for Maintenance package for 36M/75K miles as 2700$ + refresh cost 750$.

- BMW Tire & Wheel protection for 5 years is 1500$

I declined all of these and have an option to opt within 30 days. I will call above mentioned dealers for warranty & maintenance package options.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #22
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Congrats! Welcome to the club and enjoy the F15!