BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Exhaust tips

Hey fellas, for a little while i been looking for a set of exhaust tips, got tired of cleaning up the stock ones because they were pretty neglected when i got my f85 and i was never able to get them at 100%. So i found the post saying that f80 tips would fit with minor modification and that company from Australia called ‘mode’ makes a nice set. I contacted them but they were out of stock all the way into January, so i found a post where one forum member found a very similar if not the same set to order directly from china, so i did the same. These came in today, shipping took less than 2 weeks. They fit excellent, the only modification needed is to bend the inner tabs more and completely flatten the ends (see pics), they slide on very tightly, and the ones i got look excellent and look oem. They increase overall diameter by about 1/2-3/4” and look top notch. Love this little mod, love the price, shipping time, and end result
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
musa423.00
      11-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #2
mstgeer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 017 F85 Donnington Grey, Arago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
Hey fellas, for a little while i been looking for a set of exhaust tips, got tired of cleaning up the stock ones because they were pretty neglected when i got my f85 and i was never able to get them at 100%. So i found the post saying that f80 tips would fit with minor modification and that company from Australia called ‘mode’ makes a nice set. I contacted them but they were out of stock all the way into January, so i found a post where one forum member found a very similar if not the same set to order directly from china, so i did the same. These came in today, shipping took less than 2 weeks. They fit excellent, the only modification needed is to bend the inner tabs more and completely flatten the ends (see pics), they slide on very tightly, and the ones i got look excellent and look oem. They increase overall diameter by about 1/2-3/4” and look top notch. Love this little mod, love the price, shipping time, and end result
Look good, link for where to purchase?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstgeer View Post
Look good, link for where to purchase?
Sorry I thought i had it posted

US $112.33 35% Off | Motorsports fit for BMW S55 FM 3.75" SET OF 4 piece stainless steel exhaust tips Slip-On F8X M3 M4
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m03WaZO
Appreciate 1
musa423.00
      11-25-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Nice! Thanks for posting OEM and mod tips SxS - it has helped make up my mind. I've been debating whether to replace the OEM tips with these (black ones) that are wider than OEM and also to match the front black and side grills on my white F86.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Nice! Thanks for posting OEM and mod tips SxS - it has helped make up my mind. I've been debating whether to replace the OEM tips with these (black ones) that are wider than OEM and also to match the front black and side grills on my white F86.
Yes sir, i am honestly impressed with fit and finish, especially given the price of the other tips on the market and how much they stick out. The fact that i didnt have to cut or weld anything was additional bonus too. I would recommend against black tips because they would not be as visible. My personal preference is always BBK and exhaust tips to be visible but classy (not screaming). I would suggest to reconsider black tips (i know it’s definitely taste preference) but black would not be as noticeable and would look smaller too. But either way im sure youd be happy 👍
Appreciate 1
musa423.00
      11-25-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes sir, i am honestly impressed with fit and finish, especially given the price of the other tips on the market and how much they stick out. The fact that i didnt have to cut or weld anything was additional bonus too. I would recommend against black tips because they would not be as visible. My personal preference is always BBK and exhaust tips to be visible but classy (not screaming). I would suggest to reconsider black tips (i know it’s definitely taste preference) but black would not be as noticeable and would look smaller too. But either way im sure youd be happy ��
Ok, now I'm back to debating mode - black or chrome? I thought black would stand out against a white background, just like my side and front grills .

I got the M peddle covers from AliExpress and those were surprisingly top notch too and 25% the cost of OEM ones and much, much simpler to install, the OEM ones requiring drilling!

Last edited by musa; 11-25-2022 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, now I'm back to debating mode - black or chrome? I thought black would stand out against a white background, just like my side and front grills .

I got the M peddle covers from AliExpress and those were surprisingly top notch too and 25% the cost of OEM ones and much, much simpler to install, the OEM ones requiring drilling!
Well heres a good thing, i was actually worried these would be chrome, but they are actually stainless steel looking, maybe a few shades lighter, literally like oem if they were brand new. Id strongly recommend ssteel ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #8
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

MODE Ceramic Coated Black Tips

Quote:
I recommend getting the black ceramic coated ones. MODE themselves said, when someone had a problem with acid deteriorating their chrome/black chrome set, that the ceramic coated tips are more durable and they suggested them instead of the other ones. Here are a couple of pictures. They are great looking in person.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
musa423.00
      11-27-2022, 10:17 PM   #9
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wow, this feels a little uncanny, the black ones look smaller, at least from the pics. I guess the unfilled exterior void areas surrounding the tips is the cause. Dentproton looks to be right.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 06:01 AM   #10
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Black Vs. Chrome

Quote:
Wow, this feels a little uncanny, the black ones look smaller, at least from the pics. I guess the unfilled exterior void areas surrounding the tips is the cause. Dentproton looks to be right.
Same tips. Same size. Just different color. And high-temp coated.

Black is definitely less pronounced. But also look kickass and they're durable and maintenance free because of the coating. (Perhaps my pics aren't great, but in a pinch I wanted to send them to you.)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 09:53 PM   #11
Blue By You
Major
Rep

More Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Same tips. Same size. Just different color. And high-temp coated.

Black is definitely less pronounced. But also look kickass and they're durable and maintenance free because of the coating. (Perhaps my pics aren't great, but in a pinch I wanted to send them to you.)
Still not great, but hopefully they help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 09:59 PM   #12
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Update on the stainless tips, i started getting worried because i been dailying my f85 for 2+ weeks nonstop and the tips started to turn yellow, well I finally made some time to clean them up with a light polish, they cleaned up perfectly and look brand new again. Very satisfied and glad i was able to find these
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mstgeer29.00
      12-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #13
dmd21
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2018 BMW X5M   [0.00]
Quote:
Look great, thanks for sharing. 👍👌
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 11:44 PM   #14
bibibopbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F85 X5M

Once these are installed, is it possible to remove them?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 10:04 PM   #15
zhp pilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuskajenat View Post
Once these are installed, is it possible to remove them?
Not easily but it there's a will there's a way.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2023, 05:50 PM   #16
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I recently installed my stainless steel tips, and I absolutely love them. They are a very tight fit though. I struggled to get them on.
Attached Images

02-14-2023, 08:21 PM   #17
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
I recently installed my stainless steel tips, and I absolutely love them. They are a very tight fit though. I struggled to get them on.
Looking good but you should’ve bent them little tabs out the way, my friend. Looks a little tacky imo. You can use rubber mallet and 2x4 to knock these off and reinstall properly if desired
Appreciate 1
musa423.00
      02-15-2023, 05:05 PM   #18
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yours seem to be sticking out, or is it the camera angle?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 06:30 PM   #19
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yours seem to be sticking out, or is it the camera angle?
He needs to bend or cut the ends , tips are not slipped on all the way im pretty sure
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 05:27 AM   #20
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
He needs to bend or cut the ends , tips are not slipped on all the way im pretty sure
Thanks for the heads up, that is far as I could push them on by hand. And I didn't want to dent them up using a mallet, but I will use my rubber mallet and a block of wood to push them in more.
      02-17-2023, 07:18 AM   #21
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, that is far as I could push them on by hand. And I didn't want to dent them up using a mallet, but I will use my rubber mallet and a block of wood to push them in more.
You need to bend or cut the ends that are sticking out. Use rubber mallet to tap the tips OFF and fix the ends that are sticking up/out. Then it will slide on more
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 10:48 AM   #22
dmd21
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2018 BMW X5M   [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the guide, fitted my ones today. 👌
Attached Images

Appreciate 0