DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dinan S2 M6

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
So I bought this handheld about 2 weeks ago with the intention of tuning my car but the car was wreaked before I could tune it. I spoke to Oliver and Carlos at Velos and instead of returning the handheld they said I should just sell it and they will tune whatever car the new owner has at no charge. Please let me know if you have any questions. All I have to do is give the guys at Velos the new owners vehicle info and they will take care of the rest. Great guys over there. Thanks

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Killer set up, and agreed, best CS in the game.
      09-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Killer set up, and agreed, best CS in the game.
Just need a buyer. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Is this good for all X5s?
Can you share of what can be done w/this?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Is this good for all X5s?
Can you share of what can be done w/this?
It's good for any BMW car. They will do a tune for any BMW I just have to give them the new vehicle and customer info and they will walk you thru it. You are welcome to call and ask what kinda performance you can except based on your car. They are really cool. It's a killer set up and a great price for the gains you will get. I just have no use for it anymore
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM6 View Post
It's good for any BMW car. They will do a tune for any BMW I just have to give them the new vehicle and customer info and they will walk you thru it. You are welcome to call and ask what kinda performance you can except based on your car. They are really cool. It's a killer set up and a great price for the gains you will get. I just have no use for it anymore
So it's a custom tune and you get unlimited updates?
What I am getting at is...is this a lot better than BM3 or any other flash tunes in the market? if so, what makes it as such?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What I am getting at is...is this a lot better than BM3 or any other flash tunes in the market? if so, what makes it as such?
You do not get unlimited updates as far as I know. They will build you a custom tune and you will probably have to pay if you want updates after the initial custom tune. The difference between this guys and the others is that it's custom to your car and there customer service is great.
Appreciate 1
menelaos1226.00
      09-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #8
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
3.5 years on my E70 and never so much as a hick up. Also few cars on the road can keep up.

My understanding is that the piggybacks trick the ECU into producing more boost, and allow the ECU to "adapt" to the settings. A true flash tune alters more aspects, the boost, the AF, etc..

It's as is your ECU is programmed to run at the higher numbers, as opposed to just increasing boos and allowing the comp to sort out the rest.

Mixed feelings out here on what works best, but read my first sentence. I've never had to post about rough idle, loss of power, limp mode, consistency, etc..

While I do agree the cost of a true "flash" tune is somewhat unreasonable, I just can't imagine something that cost $500 VS $1500 is the same thing, especially when we're talking about programming. I mean, it's not like the Eisenmann race which is literally two resonators welded to quad tips. Lol
      09-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
3.5 years on my E70 and never so much as a hick up. Also few cars on the road can keep up.

My understanding is that the piggybacks trick the ECU into producing more boost, and allow the ECU to "adapt" to the settings. A true flash tune alters more aspects, the boost, the AF, etc..

It's as is your ECU is programmed to run at the higher numbers, as opposed to just increasing boos and allowing the comp to sort out the rest.

Mixed feelings out here on what works best, but read my first sentence. I've never had to post about rough idle, loss of power, limp mode, consistency, etc..

While I do agree the cost of a true "flash" tune is somewhat unreasonable, I just can't imagine something that cost $500 VS $1500 is the same thing, especially when we're talking about programming. I mean, it's not like the Eisenmann race which is literally two resonators welded to quad tips. Lol
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

You used this particular tune on your E70 and had no issues?
It appears this is not an off-the-shelf tune, like BM3....rather, seems customized. Question is, how much is it customized, i.e. do you go back and forth w/Velos to customize burbs etc? I have to assume the engine has its limits, so you can't really go beyond what the other tunes/piggybacks offer.
Also, does this tune customize transmission, i.e. shorter gear-shifting etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You used this particular tune on your E70 and had no issues?
It appears this is not an off-the-shelf tune, like BM3....rather, seems customized. Question is, how much is it customized, i.e. do you go back and forth w/Velos to customize burbs etc? I have to assume the engine has its limits, so you can't really go beyond what the other tunes/piggybacks offer.
Also, does this tune customize transmission, i.e. shorter gear-shifting etc.
Again I know very little on the subject, but when I picked up the F85 I wanted to know what was "the best", irregardless of price.

I was very interested in the Dinan tune but then found out they're a piggyback just like Bootmod or JB4 or whatever other ones are out there.

For a true flash tune, you send your ECU file to the programmer to be re-written. For the piggyback, the ecu file stays the same but it bypasses the piggyback box and that's where the boost is increased.

As far as I know, Velos doesn't offer "burble" tunes or trans tunes. These things didn't matter to me. I honestly find it annoying when i hear it. I love the loud burble in between shifts under load, but at low RPM every time you come to a slowdown i would get very bored, very fast.

It was more important to me that all the other engine parameters operated according to the increased boost and they were programmed to do so - as opposed to having to adapt on their own to the increased boost.

Yes, I had this on my E70 for 3.5 years. The car was a rocket ship. It was the longest I've ever owned a car and it's why I bought a F85 and not a GLS63. If the E70 was a failure, I would have gone back to AMG. The E70 with Velos tune was unbelievable.
      09-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #12
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep

Need this thing gone guys, some one buy this beast. Make me a offer...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #13
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Again I know very little on the subject, but when I picked up the F85 I wanted to know what was "the best", irregardless of price.

I was very interested in the Dinan tune but then found out they're a piggyback just like Bootmod or JB4 or whatever other ones are out there.

For a true flash tune, you send your ECU file to the programmer to be re-written. For the piggyback, the ecu file stays the same but it bypasses the piggyback box and that's where the boost is increased.

As far as I know, Velos doesn't offer "burble" tunes or trans tunes. These things didn't matter to me. I honestly find it annoying when i hear it. I love the loud burble in between shifts under load, but at low RPM every time you come to a slowdown i would get very bored, very fast.

It was more important to me that all the other engine parameters operated according to the increased boost and they were programmed to do so - as opposed to having to adapt on their own to the increased boost.

Yes, I had this on my E70 for 3.5 years. The car was a rocket ship. It was the longest I've ever owned a car and it's why I bought a F85 and not a GLS63. If the E70 was a failure, I would have gone back to AMG. The E70 with Velos tune was unbelievable.
Bootmod which I believe is BM3 is a true flash tune, although it’s a OTS map which works for all cars of that model, but you can do logs and send back the files to them and have it customized to your car just as yours. Btw just curious was the e70 m / tuned as fast as your current f85/ tuned?
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #14
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Quote:

Bootmod which I believe is BM3 is a true flash tune, although it's a OTS map which works for all cars of that model, but you can do logs and send back the files to them and have it customized to your car just as yours. Btw just curious was the e70 m / tuned as fast as your current f85/ tuned?
The F85 is insane fast.

That said, the difference between stock E70 and tuned E70 was mind blowing. The difference between stock F85 and tuned F85 is impressive at best. The F85 is so good out of the box that even with a tune it doesn't feel as raw as the E70 did. I think also the extra two gears in the F85 seem to make it not as WOW. The shifts are super impressive, but the additional shifts just take away from the sensation of the launch. Don't get me wrong, it's the two extra gears that make it the more refined of the two but I think less is more. My old E55 had 5 gears and I can do a red light run with anything in one gear. Lol.

Also important to add that since I bought the F85 and tuned it, we've had average 90 degree temps. It hauls, but I'm just waiting for winter (or temps in the 60's lol) to really see what's what. Hopefully we drop into the 50's this winter. That's gonna be fun.
      09-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
The F85 is insane fast.

That said, the difference between stock E70 and tuned E70 was mind blowing. The difference between stock F85 and tuned F85 is impressive at best. The F85 is so good out of the box that even with a tune it doesn't feel as raw as the E70 did. I think also the extra two gears in the F85 seem to make it not as WOW. The shifts are super impressive, but the additional shifts just take away from the sensation of the launch. Don't get me wrong, it's the two extra gears that make it the more refined of the two but I think less is more. My old E55 had 5 gears and I can do a red light run with anything in one gear. Lol.

Also important to add that since I bought the F85 and tuned it, we've had average 90 degree temps. It hauls, but I'm just waiting for winter (or temps in the 60's lol) to really see what's what. Hopefully we drop into the 50's this winter. That's gonna be fun.
I know what you me about the nice cool weather and turbo vehicles , enjoy man the beast!! Sorry OP about going off topic. Good luck and I’m sure some one will buy your tune!
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #16
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Quote:
The F85 is insane fast.

I know what you me about the nice cool weather and turbo vehicles , enjoy man the beast!! Sorry OP about going off topic. Good luck and I’m sure some one will buy your tune!
Totally, I'd buy it of I didn't have one already. If you are tune shopping, this is the best. These guys are the go-to for F85-F86.
      09-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep

No prob guys thanks for the plug. Lol
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      09-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #18
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep