motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
It does charge, but not sufficient to keep up with the energy consuption of the phone with the screen on and active navigation... It's just a standard USB port, with 0.5Amps... The phone needs a 2.1Amps charger when used this way...

But, anyway, the whole point of this CarPlay box was to use the Navi Screen for Waze, not the phone... What are you up to?
Thanks for clearing that up, the only app I use is Waze, I don't use Spotify and the phone interface of my iDrive is much better than CarPlay's

I have seen the charging icon appear on the right side of the battery icon when is plugged, so its just a lack of power....
      01-30-2020, 02:54 AM   #442
anki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite F15

My CarPlay is up for grabs if anyone is interested

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1690465
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 10:03 PM   #443
Mo_far
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E93 325

Digital audio signal pass through instead of AUX

I'm looking in to buying one of these.
So far all the options discussed, route the audio via AUX. my questions are:

- Are there any solutions that pass on the digital signal to HK unit?

- If not, the feedback around audio seems to be fine, do we know what DAC chip is used and which unit has better sound quality?

- I see other units on Aliexpress like this one, which doesn't come with Aux cable, do we know if newer units have the capability to pass on the digital signal?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:44 PM   #444
Jedi767
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35D

I have one for sale:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1824317
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #445
f4r0kh
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d 2016

Lightbulb

Hi folks, here to share my experience. I have a 2016 X5 (F15), so I’ve missed carplay by a year and decided to buy the MMI box to enable it. Bought one off eBay which looked exactly like the one from Bimmer, but was half the price. Installation was a bit tricky because of very little space behind the OEM radio unit, sweat dropping as I was trying to wiggle it into place and make the radio fit back, but everything works like a charm. Here’s a link to the one I bought in case you are looking to buy one that is verified: LINK

Because I have an iPhone I didn’t even have to plug in the USB cable and make it stick out under the dashboard, everything works fine wireless, I can use both the iDrive controller and the little scrolling thingy on the steering wheel to control it and FINALLY I have a full advanced equalizer (I have the basic BMW audio system and had only controls for bass and trebble), so the music sounds waaay better now. I’ll try to upload some photos from the process.
Attached Images

Last edited by f4r0kh; 07-17-2021 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #446
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4r0kh View Post
Hi folks, here to share my experience. I have a 2016 X5 (F15), so I’ve missed carplay by a year and decided to buy the MMI box to enable it. Bought one off eBay which looked exactly like the one from Bimmer, but was half the price. Installation was a bit tricky because of very little space behind the OEM radio unit, sweat dropping as I was trying to wiggle it into place and make the radio fit back, but everything works like a charm. Here’s a link to the one I bought in case you are looking to buy one that is verified: LINK

Because I have an iPhone I didn’t even have to plug in the USB cable and make it stick out under the dashboard, everything works fine wireless, I can use both the iDrive controller and the little scrolling thingy on the steering wheel to control it and FINALLY I have a full advanced equalizer (I have the basic BMW audio system and had only controls for bass and trebble), so the music sounds waaay better now. I’ll try to upload some photos from the process.

Thanks for posting. How do you find the smoothness, etc? Does it feel like something that came from the factory? Considering this but if it requires too much ‘extra’ knowledge or interaction it may be a hindrance to my wife…

Looks good tho!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 04:28 AM   #447
f4r0kh
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Thanks for posting. How do you find the smoothness, etc? Does it feel like something that came from the factory? Considering this but if it requires too much ‘extra’ knowledge or interaction it may be a hindrance to my wife…

Looks good tho!
I’ve tried the original carplay on a 2021 X6 and apart from not having a touchscreen this feels absolutely the same. No lags, no problem with connection. After I start my car it connects by itself in a few seconds. The first connection is almost the same as on the factory carplay, the only difference is that you have to unpair the previous bluetooth connection with the car and delete the saved BMW bluetooth item in your iPhone plus delete the saved iPhone in your car. Then switch car audio source to AUX and that’s it. Siri works much better, sound quality is better and even when you make a phone call it sounds better. I was reaaaaally nervous while having the dashboard completely dismounted and when I struggled to fit the MMi box behind the radio and at the same time get the radio back in place, but it’s absolutely worth the struggle.

P.S.: if your wife decides not to use it, you can only pair it to your phone and she can keep using the OEM iDrive system. The audio source settings are saved to your driver profile, so you can set hers to bluetooth and yours to AUX. But I bet she’ll want it too
Appreciate 1
tlow982173.00
      07-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #448
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4r0kh View Post
I’ve tried the original carplay on a 2021 X6 and apart from not having a touchscreen this feels absolutely the same. No lags, no problem with connection. After I start my car it connects by itself in a few seconds. The first connection is almost the same as on the factory carplay, the only difference is that you have to unpair the previous bluetooth connection with the car and delete the saved BMW bluetooth item in your iPhone plus delete the saved iPhone in your car. Then switch car audio source to AUX and that’s it. Siri works much better, sound quality is better and even when you make a phone call it sounds better. I was reaaaaally nervous while having the dashboard completely dismounted and when I struggled to fit the MMi box behind the radio and at the same time get the radio back in place, but it’s absolutely worth the struggle.

P.S.: if your wife decides not to use it, you can only pair it to your phone and she can keep using the OEM iDrive system. The audio source settings are saved to your driver profile, so you can set hers to bluetooth and yours to AUX. But I bet she’ll want it too
This is awesome information. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 03:39 AM   #449
Fazerace
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15

Looks awesome interesting option
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:28 PM   #450
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Has anyone used a DAC in their setup to try to maintain good audio quality through the AUX wiring? If so...how'd you set it up?
Appreciate 0