BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #45
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Some early on impressions. Our Xpel wrap is scheduled for Wednesday, so I have done limited driving until the wrap is on. That driving is slow until I get some number of break in miles on it.

That said, the handling on some undulating curves is beyond belief. I thought the handling of our 2017 X5 with DHP was great (and it was) - but this is in another league. Virtually no body roll, super planted to the road, steering response - wow. And so far a very comfortable ride - no complaints about being too harsh (21" wheels fyi).

I still have a bit of brain lock on the gearshift - I'll get used to it soon.

Now for a muscle memory issue - we have a Lexus GS 430 and Lexus gearshift is forward for upshifts - just the opposite of BMW. As I swap between the cars I sometimes move the gearshift in the wrong direction LOL. Maybe if I just stick to using the paddle shifters on the X5 and the console on the Lexus I'll minimize the screw ups.

So far I am VERY IMPRESSED
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #46
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sunday morning update:

Just finished a 40 mile run through the Sierra foothills - light traffic and beautiful country. There were a few short excursions up to 4200 RPMs and I finally got a small taste of the power of this vehicle - it pulls oh so strongly - wow.

My favorite part of this drive are the 60 degrees or so of quick, linked turns left / right / left / right with the road undulating up and down ad the road bed falling off to the shoulder accordingly. It is not quite the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca but one good test of the handling. On that count, based on my first somewhat spirited run, a score of 10 - could not have been more pleased. In all honesty, the vehicle was more composed than I was LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #47
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, as the "soon to be..." part of the title is no longer relevant I am going open a new thread under the title:

Mein Bimmer Faden

See you there
Appreciate 0