BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #45
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Finally had decent weather to git'er done . . . almost.

.1 Clay bar mitt
.2 Menzerno 2500 cutting polish
.3 Menzerno Power Lock Sealant, one coat so far

The hood has 2 coats of powerlock and two coats of P21S Carnauba.

I wasn't looking forward to standing on a small step ladder to do the roof, but to my surprise it was pretty easy since 75% of the roof is glass.

Tomorrow I'll put a 2nd Power lock coat on everything again but the hood, while the first coat "gasses out" tonight. I did the hood yesterday for 1st coat and a 2nd coat early this AM.

Lastly, 2 coats P21S Carnauber wax topper for a hopefully creme de la creme finish

* I also still find autoglym gel rubbed with a toothbrush or a larger detailing brush (looks like a big toothbrush) works the best at detailing overspray onto the black plastic trim. Best is to be careful and not get it on it in the first place. But if you do like with the 2500 cutting polish autoglym takes it off and leaves the plastic bright and clean.

For those of us that own black X5's . . . "they deserve" to look just like this!
Attached Images

Last edited by expidia; 08-06-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
      07-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #46
Jimothy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 sDrive35i (F15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
...For those of us that own black X5's . . . "they deserve" to look just like this!
Appreciate 1
expidia161.50
      07-31-2017, 06:35 AM   #47
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate . . . And welcome to the forum. Luv the gif

Last edited by expidia; 08-02-2017 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #48
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
After washing and drying your X5, run your hands over the paint and if you feel tiny specks and bumps then you need to clay your exterior.

I used the nanoskin mitt with a detail lubricants instead of the traditional clay and it works very well.
+1 best clay ever
      08-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #49
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just finished my wire's audi this AM. still need a 2nd coat of power lock sealer and a coat of P21S carnauba but . . .

Check out the difference with black vs white. Same products but the wife's it took me twice as long to use clay bar mitt because white shows "EVERY" little speck!
And I had a lot of pin head and smaller orange specs at various places around the car. I thought it was going to be quicker as my wife's in a Q5 which is smaller than my X5. Its closer to the BMW X3.

Tip: if you use your nail to scratch off the specks or tar it will scratch the clear coat. I found Klasse all in one cleaner and polish amazing for spot and stain removal. A dab on a wet wash cloth is abrasive but it won't scratch! Careful though amazon as usual lets their vendors pad up the price to include amazon prime shipping. But the vendor padded it up and still wanted $5.95 shipping.
Screw them. Autotopia has great prices and free shipping with a code they email you. $24.95 with free shipping against $37 plus $5.95 and both bottles were the 16.9 oz size. Don't just blindly buy from amazon without checking around.

But check out how glossy black looks against my wife's white audi. No doubt hers will look great at night and the pics don't do it justice because there is a deep deep gloss to her audi's finish now in person, but the iphone can't replicate that pure glossy white finish as good as it does with black. black is a pain to keep clean (especially the tailgate area). but I do luv my X5's glossy reflections over her white
Attached Images

Last edited by expidia; 08-06-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #50
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the white getting glossier as it gets darker outside . . .
Funny how the iphone doesn't pick up the glossy reflections in the white earlier in brighter sun. Probably there is a way to adjust it, but its above my pay grade!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #51
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Here is the white getting glossier as it gets darker . . .
Funny how the iphone doesn't pick up the glossy white earlier in brighter sun. Probably is a way to adjust it but its above my pay grade!
Nice parking
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #52
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Nice parking
Thats where we park! the driveway is left open for the women in the downstairs apt who parks in the back. I put those bags of rocks down where there was mud from our tires. I wish the landlord would pave that grassy strip but thats the joys of renting rather than owning.

But if thats the best you got "nice parking"! thats pretty sad. Im sure your other 146 posts are real contributions to the forum.

But hey, when your lease is up you will probably be moving onto another brand . . . buh bye
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #53
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Nice parking
Thats where we park! the driveway is left open for the women in the downstairs apt who parks in the back. I put those bags of rocks down where there was mud from our tires. I wish the landlord would pave that grassy strip but thats the joys of renting rather than owning.

But if thats the best you got "nice parking"! thats pretty sad. Im sure your other 146 posts are real contributions to the forum.

But hey, when your lease is up you will probably be moving onto another brand . . . buh bye
Relax man. No need to get all defensive.

And FYI, I own both my cars. Not sure it would've made any difference to your sore response.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #54
TB151
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport

I just picked up my 50i and went to work on the paint this weekend. I claybar'd is and then used Meguires Ultra Polishing Compound followed by Collinite 476 applying with a dual action polisher. I'm pumped with how it came out. The Carbon Black really came to life. It's not that hard but you definitely work up a sweat!

Appreciate 2
P111541.50
      08-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #55
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB151 View Post
I just picked up my 50i and went to work on the paint this weekend. I claybar'd is and then used Meguires Ultra Polishing Compound followed by Collinite 476 applying with a dual action polisher. I'm pumped with how it came out. The Carbon Black really came to life. It's not that hard but you definitely work up a sweat!

Looks super clean! A before/ after shot from the same angle would've been cool to see.

I have an Alpine White F15 that needs the same TLC but I'm planning to use nanoskin on it within the next few weeks (thanks to @kzang!). Will post my pics once I'm done!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #56
Jimothy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 sDrive35i (F15)

Garage List
Quote:

That's some serious reflections going on there! Looks stellar!
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      08-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #57
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Love this thread!
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #58
TB151
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimothy View Post
That's some serious reflections going on there! Looks stellar!
Thanks! I think I just got lucky with the time of day
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #59
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Ya, nice job. It really snaps those reflections. Im jealous. I think mine is jet black. Is carbon black inheritantly glossy than jet black? It sure looks it
Your refrections are the same off the glass or your detailing job.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #60
TB151
Rep

Quote:
Ya, nice job. It really snaps those reflections. Im jealous. I think mine is jet black. Is carbon black inheritantly glossy than jet black? It sure looks it
Your refrections are the same off the glass or your detailing job.

Thanks! I'd say that the color on Carbon Black changes so much because of the blue metal flake mixed in. It was SO much more obvious after the polishing and waxing. I honestly didn't really even see it before that. The flake really reflects, moreso than the black paint it's mixed with. I'm not sure glossy is the right word, but it's definitely more reflective.
Appreciate 1
expidia161.50
      08-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #61
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thought I'd mention one of the companies I got from a poster in this thread as using some of "chemical guys" products for detailing. I found them to have great customer service . . .

I Had an issue with my first purchase of their 16 oz clay bar liquid in a spray bottle which is not able to be refilled after I also bought their gal jug of clay bar liquid. This was not noted on amazon's page as they said they sometimes have no control of what amazon puts in their description and chemical guys support explained that the cap is of a ratchet style to prevent leaking during shipment.

For my concerns, they sent me another empty spray bottle with their heavy duty spray head at no charge and free shipping. This is a company that is very responsive to customer issues.

Come to find out on my own, if you use a pliers or pump style pliers you can get the ratchet cap lock off that I couldn't undo by hand to refill the original bottle.

But their heavy duty spray bottle they sent me is much more comfortable to use anyway. . . I'm going to order 2 more with my next detailing order.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with this company. I just like to give kudo's to a company thats responsive to consumer issues. Sadly, we can't find this much anymore
Appreciate 0