07-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Mein Bimmer Faden

Well, here I am under an updated title.

The PPF wrap on our new X5 M was delayed due to the Xpel film being damaged in transit. There were some rescheduling issues and I opted to go with another installer. That installer handles McLarens, the F cars and P cars as well. Fate may have helped me out.

The wrap is scheduled for later in August (lots of high end cars going for wraps) - that is the earliest I could get in. I'll get pics posted of the wrap as it goes.

I thought I had a problem in programming my M1 and M2 buttons but learned quickly that they are locked out until 1200 miles - all is good.

I've noticed the cooling fans run for about 10 minutes after shutoff - and that is after very easy driving the last few miles into the driveway. That must put some drain on the battery.

So, are many of you using a battery tender? Routine / around the home driving (excluding 4 or 5 road trips a year) will be about 3 trips per week - 10 miles or so each. How long are these batteries holding up with reasonable use before they have to be replaced?

Kzang - just for you - so far the AC appears to be handling 105 F just fine. It clearly does not put out the airflow like our Lexus does, but keeps it plenty cool. So far I have not had to go through the gymnastics that were necessary on our 2017 X5. I set the temp and it figures out what to do.

Last edited by Apple Corps; 07-21-2018 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: addition info on AC performance
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

"I thought I had a problem in programming my M1 and M2 buttons but learned quickly that they are locked out until 1200 miles - all is good."

That's interesting. My 2016 X5M and my 2018 M5 could be programmed on Day 1.

The X5M gets driven 5 days a week. 15-20 miles a day minimum. Never hooked up a tender to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

onfireX5 - not sure if it activates once 1200 miles are reached or if a reset is done at the service. Sounds like your use will keep the battery in good shape. As mentioned in an earlier post, the reason for my question is that on our 2016 550i the battery was changed by BMW at each oil service while under warranty. The batteries could not keep up with the demand of the electronics. I'm guessing in the intervening 4 years they have sorted it out.

Last edited by Apple Corps; 07-21-2018 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

No battery tender, I've let it sit at the airport parking garage for 12 days without problems. The car has automatic shutdown if the batteries gets to a certain threshold so you can continue to start it. There is a SIB out to provide a slightly larger capacity battery (90 to 105A I believe). https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1399962

On the A/C piece, it drives me nuts too. In hot/humid days here in NC, it'll get to 105 on the heat index. When I first got the M, I thought the AC was broken. Then, I read the manual and saw you can turn up the aggressiveness of the AUTO AC program. When on AUTO, just turn the fan speed up or down (button next to the rotary dial). I keep mine 2nd to the highest and it works much better. It was on 2nd to the lowest before and the interior always felt hot. That plus seat ventilation made life nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

12 days is excellent - doubt that I would ever go longer than that.

So I got out early this morning to get some break in miles w/o the usual traffic. Was able to get in 40 miles with a lot of under 4k rpm variety. I've not experienced the power yet due to break in compliance but did go in pretty hot to a sweeping right hander with a significant off camber slope to the left. As I mentioned earlier, our DHP on the last X5 produced impressive handling, but this M is like having magnetic tires on an iron road - it stays planted.

One can only comment on the handling / power / road feel / etc. so much before being redundant. Suffice to say - no regrets on the purchase - so well balanced for my expectations.

As my wrap is once again scheduled, my thoughts are turning towards a dashcam or Hero for use. I do like the idea of video proof of driving incidents but am more interested in 4k video of the driving scenery. As the years go on I am finding myself a bit less interested in the tool and more interested in the experience it provides. Having easy access to Big Sur / Napa / Sonoma / Sierra Foothills and Mountains should provide some spectacular views and driving stories.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
pachieh
Captain
Rep

Look at something like this... http://blendmount.com/blackvue.html
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That looks quite impressive! I've looked at that product line awhile ago but was not up to speed on that mounting bracket - NICE.

Some post lunch reading underway.......
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
pachieh
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
That looks quite impressive! I've looked at that product line awhile ago but was not up to speed on that mounting bracket - NICE.

Some post lunch reading underway.......
I have their mount for a Uniden R3 radar/laser detector, looks and fits perfectly. They definitely have quality products, especially since it ain't cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
"I thought I had a problem in programming my M1 and M2 buttons but learned quickly that they are locked out until 1200 miles - all is good."

That's interesting. My 2016 X5M and my 2018 M5 could be programmed on Day 1.

The X5M gets driven 5 days a week. 15-20 miles a day minimum. Never hooked up a tender to it.
A correction on my part. The M1 and M2 buttons were not "locked out" until the 1200 mile service. I heard that elsewhere and took it for accurate. I gave it a whirl a couple of days ago WITH the engine running and the function became available. Still not at break in mileage but slowly getting there. I did not get any photos of the Xpel wrap but could not have been more impressed with the job that was done - the best of the 3 wraps that we have experienced. They threw in a detail, the paint was like slippery glass.

On another note - I have been a sceptic of the ceramic coating but am changing my tune as I looked over a McLaren that was done. My X5M is somewhat fully wrapped BUT I am going to proceed with the ceramic coating of the wheels - less washing more rinsing.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 06:04 AM   #10
MLoch
Rep
Drives: X5M

My X5 is usually parked 7-8 months a year. I work abroad and only come home every 4 months for a few weeks. So far on this and the last X5 I've never had an issue starting it. But on the odd occasion I do have a relative come over one a month or so and they usually start the cars in the garage and let them run for 10 minutes.

For most people the battery shouldn't drain enough to cause issues. I do have a portable jump start kit in the trunk just in case, but have only had to use that on the Cayenne never the current X5M or previous X5
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

MLoch - sorry for the delayed response & thanks for the info. Sounds like the battery drain issue many not be as pronounced for our newer X5Ms. I should be able to get mine on the road several times a month easily.

My Xpel Ultimate wrap was superb. I have gone back and forth on a windshield film product and have decided to proceed. The input I was getting is that the newest generation products have virtually no distortion, are easily removed for replacement, and should last 2+ years with some thoughtful use of the wipers (i.e. avoid running the wipers when the windshield is dry).

I questioned the installer about how many higher end vehicles he works on. He was kind of quiet and walked me back to see the McLaren P1 he was wrapping.

I left kind of quiet and red faced.
Appreciate 0