BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
pmnote
Rep
Drives: X6 F16 M Sport

X6 F16 Park Assist / Self Auto Park

The coolest trick so far imo is with the park assist. I'm still playing and discovering new ones..

Ps. I haven't done any modifications yet, nor any coding.
M sport package, 20 inch 469M, Ivory White/Black Bi-Color Nappa Leather, Driver Assistance Package, Driver Assistance Plus, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Lighting Package and Multi-contour seats. Soft Close automatic doors, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, etc.. I remember I checked all the empty option boxes
I would like to hear if you guys have any inputs regarding mods. Has anyone done the M performance power kit 1?

[u2b]
[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

That's pretty cool. I have that function on my car also, but I've never used it yet. I added it to my build just in case my wife drives, she won't curb my rims lol
It does look like it works well but you would think that the car would park perfectly in one shot, instead of moving back and forth. For $500, it's still worth it.

BTW do you drive with the seat belt buckled behind you? or is that just to trick the park assist?

It looks like you have every single option so that's a phenomenal build!
I would start off with performance black grilles or double slat x5M replica grilles.

22" rims, if you're into that

Performance exhaust, if you're into that

I had the M Performance Power kit installed a few days ago.
My impressions so far:
Comfort mode
This setting always felt sluggish but MPPK has improved the acceleration in city use. You will notice a difference on the local streets when you start to press down on the pedal from a stop light. I found the factory comfort mode offering lifeless acceleration for city use, but now that the throttle response has improved, it's much more bearable. (With the MPPK added, I would say "normal mode" feels somewhere between stock normal mode and stock sport mode. It's not thrilling, but it is what you expect for normal driving)
Somehow, acceleration in comfort mode on the highway has not improved. You're not going to achieve any extra passing power unless you put the pedal to the floor.

Sport Mode:
Everything feels a lot livelier.
In the city, there isn't any throttle lag. Your foot depresses the pedal slightly and the car gets going. You're rolling along, you hit the gas, the car gets going. You're on the highway, the car reacts as soon as you do.

Does my car feel like a beast?
No

Do I notice the extra power?
Slightly

Does the car respond better?
YES!

I would say get the kit. It's pricey at $1400 or so, installed, but your car should feel this way from the factory.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #3
IFlyEm
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Be VERY VERY careful using the self park feature. I tried it once....it was the first stop I made after I picked the car up. Car backed up ok. Then pulled ahead and scraped the front wheel. I'll never try it again. It's not hard to parallel park as it is with the rearview camera.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Self parking is cool because yeah it is doing it automatically... but I can parallel park without any issues and much much faster without scrapping the wheels I can't see myself sitting in the car and waiting for the car to park..

MPPK is a must have for every 35i models, it really brings the X5 alive.

Last edited by Kzang; 10-12-2015 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
pmnote
Rep

par 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i
That's pretty cool. I have that function on my car also, but I've never used it yet. I added it to my build just in case my wife drives, she won't curb my rims lol
It does look like it works well but you would think that the car would park perfectly in one shot, instead of moving back and forth. For $500, it's still worth it.

BTW do you drive with the seat belt buckled behind you? or is that just to trick the park assist?

It looks like you have every single option so that's a phenomenal build!
I would start off with performance black grilles or double slat x5M replica grilles.

22" rims, if you're into that

Performance exhaust, if you're into that

I had the M Performance Power kit installed a few days ago.
My impressions so far:
Comfort mode
This setting always felt sluggish but MPPK has improved the acceleration in city use. You will notice a difference on the local streets when you start to press down on the pedal from a stop light. I found the factory comfort mode offering lifeless acceleration for city use, but now that the throttle response has improved, it's much more bearable. (With the MPPK added, I would say "normal mode" feels somewhere between stock normal mode and stock sport mode. It's not thrilling, but it is what you expect for normal driving)
Somehow, acceleration in comfort mode on the highway has not improved. You're not going to achieve any extra passing power unless you put the pedal to the floor.

Sport Mode:
Everything feels a lot livelier.
In the city, there isn't any throttle lag. Your foot depresses the pedal slightly and the car gets going. You're rolling along, you hit the gas, the car gets going. You're on the highway, the car reacts as soon as you do.

Does my car feel like a beast?
No

Do I notice the extra power?
Slightly

Does the car respond better?
YES!

I would say get the kit. It's pricey at $1400 or so, installed, but your car should feel this way from the factory.
Hey Twelve,
Appreciate the time you put on your reply!

I just called my dealership and made an appointment in 2 weeks for MPPK, front spoiler lip and rear diffuser. can't wait to see this bad boy with his new mustache on.

regarding the PARK ASSIST that video was my first attempt. Watching it again, I'm amazed that car parked itself in a spot without a curbside!! not to mention that i was keep orbiting the car and triggering every single sensor, confusing the poor thing!
I'm not sure if on the X6 the option was only $500 since it came with the Driver Assisnt Plus package which comes on top of the Driver Assisnce package, combined running you around $4K+. other than the parking sensors the feed from all the 5 surround cameras and the blind spot ultrasounds and being processed the same time.

ps. good eye on the seatbelt! yes, that was to tricks the system inorder to jump out.

thanks again.
I'll take some shots in couple of weeks of the performance parts..
cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
It may be cool option, but as IFLYEm mentioned, I have concerns if it is 100% fault tolerant...yet!
My understanding is that you still control the gas and brake right?
As it was an either/or between this and Active Steering, I went with the latter. I figured we may be using it more.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
pmnote
Rep

Par 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw
It may be cool option, but as IFLYEm mentioned, I have concerns if it is 100% fault tolerant...yet!
As it was an either/or between this and Active Steering, I went with the latter. I figured we may be using it more.
Hey Shaw,

No! you don't need to press the gas pedal nor the brake. As a matter of fact if you press any of the pedals, or grasp the steering wheel, open the door, unfasten your seat belt, change the screen from camera feed, or even if the car detects snow or sleepery road, bumpy road or curb the system will
automatically disengage and stops the car!
On top of all, during the whole process you have to be pressing the PA button!! release it and the car stops! and you are overseeing every camera feed on the screen..

Do you need to be alert? YES
Do you need to be nervous? I was but only on my first attempt!
Do I trust the system? Absolutely! everythong stops if I remove my finger!!
Is the option worth it? In my opinion every penny.

Hope this would clear some of the confusion.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
pmnote
Rep

Par 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmnote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw
Hey Shaw,

No! you don't need to press the gas pedal nor the brake. As a matter of fact if you press any of the pedals, or grasp the steering wheel, open the door, unfasten your seat belt, change the screen from camera feed, or even if the car detects snow or sleepery road, bumpy road or curb the system will
automatically disengage and stops the car!
On top of all, during the whole process you have to be pressing the PA button!! release it and the car stops! and you are overseeing every camera feed on the screen..

Do you need to be alert? YES
Do you need to be nervous? I was but only on my first attempt!
Do I trust the system? Absolutely! everythong stops if I remove my finger!!
Is the option worth it? In my opinion every penny.

Hope this would clear some of the confusion.
Cheers
Great idea for coders! to press and hold a Fob button instead of pressing and holding the ParkAssist button, Just like the new 7 series!
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:02 AM   #9
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

There are many stories of curbed wheels with the system. On my test drive the sales assoc demoed it and the tire smashed into the curb. Luckily, no wheel damage. I thought the tire was going to pop.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
There are many stories of curbed wheels with the system. On my test drive the sales assoc demoed it and the tire smashed into the curb. Luckily, no wheel damage. I thought the tire was going to pop.

this is what I mean by "thanks, but no thanks!"
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
ccorodan
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d F15

I dare calling parking assistant a failure. It might work in US, where one finds long parking places and plenty of space around the car to manouver - it also worked for me when I tested it. But my experience in the real-life European city traffic is that it almost never works. Most parking places along the street leave max 1 meter, most often less, total space between my car and the cars parked in front and behind. The parking assistant almost always considers that there is not enough space so it does not identify the parking place, while I have no problem parking. If sometimes the parking space is longer but find myself on a one-way, one-lane street with cars parked on both sides, the message of the PA is that there is not enough space for manouvering. In the few cases when PA works, it is so slow that I have no benefit of using it. To make the PA useful, BMW should make it park faster than the average driver and/or make it park in limited manouvering space areas where I would spend a lot of time making sure that the car fits. My advice, al least for European city drivers: save your money or put it to a better use.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #12
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

here's the new technology rumored to be included in the upcoming X7

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
Kodok14
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

I'm looking for 5DP to be retrofitted. Do anyone know any BMW shop in SoCal that can do this?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyEm View Post
Be VERY VERY careful using the self park feature. I tried it once....it was the first stop I made after I picked the car up. Car backed up ok. Then pulled ahead and scraped the front wheel. I'll never try it again. It's not hard to parallel park as it is with the rearview camera.
Welp. Guess I won't be using mine a second time.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0