BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
terroirnosaurus
Registered
Rep
Drives: X100D, PacHy (3 girls), Golf R

Dad's weekend toy car / X5M vs. X6M / 3 kids under 3

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my fleet after having recent additions to the family… identical twins! We already have a 2 year old, so now we are part of the three kids under 3 club. *Membership has its privileges: no sleep or hobbies, limited hygiene, caffeine / chemical dependence.

We already have a Model X100D, a Pacifica Hybrid which I recently bought for the twins, and a 2016 Golf R that I was tinkering with as a “toy” weekend car. *I like for all of our cars to be able to fit the 3 kids (in one row if possible), and it’s difficult to get the triple stroller in the Golf R, so it looks like it’s on the way out (hit me up if you want a 2016 Golf R with 8k miles! *I barely got a chance to drive it!)

I’ve been considering a X5 or X6 (M -- because I’m greedy and need something fun to replace the Golf R), but am a little concerned over the cargo capacity of the X6 and how tight it will be in the back with 3 car seats. *I like the looks of the X6 more and right now have a better deal on it than an X5M….

Here are the deals (all similarly equipped)

Out of state (I’m in CA)
2015 X5M -- *75K + 1500 shipping.
~13K miles
Not CPO, but great condition, previous owner only put 4K a year on it.
Has night vision, probably a gimmick, but damn -- it’s cool.

Out of state (I’m in CA)
2017 X6M -- 71K + 1500 shipping
~33K miles
CPO, but car looks a little beat up. *Curb rash, interior is kinda oily and dirty. *But seems like a great deal on a 2017… damn it.
No night vision - damn.

In state -- down the highway from my house...
2016 X5M -- 70K
22K miles
Not CPO, okay condition, some curb rash, interior also dirty and oily looking, LOL.
No night vision - damn.

Occam’s razor -- I should probably just get the car down the highway… cheapest and no hassle of shipping. *But I think that it’s a pretty good deal on the X6M, and I’m also liking the extremely low miles on the 2015 X5M.

Which one would you all pick?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Have you been in the back of the X6? I'm not sure you can get 3 car seats back there.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

I have three kids and this is my third x6. I find it has plenty of space for the kids and cargo space to fit everything you need. I also prefer the look of an x6M better than an x5M. Having said that, I think you should make sure that you can fit three car seats in both cars. I don't think the width of the rear seats is different in both cars but would definitely make sure before buying one. Good luck!
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

You can fit three car seats. I have a 9, 6, and 3 year old. Middle car seat is a Diono (a little narrrower than mainstream brands).

It will be tight with three full car seats, but find ones that are narrow and you'll be ok.

You get 1" more rear legroom in X5M and an extra 9 cu ft of cargo space (per car gurus). That sloping rear of the X6M is what changes the calculus.

Mileage is high on the '17. 33k, that's high for a car less than two years old. You are already halfway through warranty too on the '17.

Get the low mileage '15. You can probably talk them down a little. Get a PPI done by a BMW dealer.

Also, you can fix curb rash (~$120/wheel typically) and get a REAL good interior detail done to clean it up for a few hundred bucks.
Attached Images

Last edited by pachieh; 07-06-2018 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #5
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

X5M for the space and family. Depends on color and specs but I would probably chose the '16 done the street or talk down the '15 since you are getting it shipped and I'm assuming its from a non-BMW dealer.

The sloping back of the X6 (had mine for 4 years with 2 kids) makes it difficult and hard/impossible to fit 3 full seats (read convertible car seats) across the back of it AND get the kids in easily; you can't look at the example of someone using 2 backless boosters (and really unless you have a tall 6 year old they are better served in a belt positioning high-back booster - sorry pachieh) but it works.

In your equation with 2 kids under 2 you need two rear facing car seats until they are 2 years old and your 2y/o needs to be in a front facing full harnessed car seat for at least another 2-3 years depending on size and weight when you can switch over to a slimmer high back harnessed booster seat. It will also make a difference if you are using infant carriers with bases or convertible car seats; if you are using infant carriers you will likely switch at some point to convertible seats. You'll also need to think where to place your two year old, middle seat will increase the chances of a better car seat fit. A latch vs non-latch install will also make a fit difference. I just got out of my X6 (I couldn't close the doors with a Chicco infant carrier, Britax convertible and Graco high back booster) for an RRS for the exact reason; I'm looking for a X5M (I care more about color and specs than miles since I'll be hauling kids in it) and I've tested the seat fit, but do it for yourself with your exact seats to see if it works for you.
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
pachieh
Captain
Rep

Good points by gqgambler. My 6 year old is tall. If you are really looking for one, get an X5M since you have a family. He makes a great point though, make sure you take the exact seats with you and test fit.

Since you have two rear facing seats, I'd put them on the ends and your 2 year old (once big enough) in a front facing seat sitting in the middle.

Use the LATCH system for all the seats. It's easier plus since the female connectors of the seat belts don't pull out at all.

Lastly, make sure you buy some seat protectors that have padding on them so you reduce the chances of permanent indentations in the leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Three infant car seats will be tight in the X5 and worse in the X6.

+2 on bringing your seats and trying it out. Remember that you have to be able to reach in and buckle the seats so headroom is important.

The low mileage '15 sounds like the best option.

Night vision is cool but not very useful. My came spec'd with it and I have turned it on exactly twice in three years. Once to test it and once to show it to my wife. I live in the city - if you live in a more rural, less well lit area, this might be different.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
terroirnosaurus
Registered
Rep
Drives: X100D, PacHy (3 girls), Golf R

Thanks for the responses all!

I'm actually purchasing three new convertible car seats (clek foonfs), as they are on the "guaranteed" 3 across list.

I ended up going with the low mileage '15. I talked them down to 70K, so I think I'm happy with that.

Not to turn this into another extended warranty thread, but a 6 year /75K exclusion warranty through The Warranty Group for 7K is a bit on the high end right?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 06:13 AM   #9
pachieh
Captain
Rep

Cool. Never heard of that brand. It should fit since they are 17" across, but only one way to tell!

Congrats on the purchase, post pics when you pic it up!

I haven't seen the latest warranty price list, but I think 6.5k was the last one I saw for what you are looking for. If you plan to keep it that long, I would look at it as well as doing the maintenance plan refresh cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Three child seats? I would buy a more appropriate vehicle for less and use the remainder of the funds for a fun weekend car for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Keep the golf R, three kids that will be growing faster than weeds need a Yukon or something similar.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      07-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
pachieh
Captain
Rep

Get the M... You have enough larger family cars that if you need a TON of space, you have it. We use my wife's Honda Odyssey for family trips and space when we need it. The M is when we want to have fun...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

I have three car seats in the back of my X5M, not a problem at all. We've used it on 20+ hour/week and a half road trip vacations and it fits all our luggage in the back no problem. I don't know how the X6M is, but the X5M is fine. You definitely don't need a Yukon or minivan.

Regarding using latch for all three seats, that's impossible. You can only use it for the two outer seats, as with most cars.
Appreciate 0