BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Can someone experienced with coding/flashing give me an advise?

So I was coding Kombi ecu (instrument cluster panel) via obd Carly app. Car was running, phone was on charge cable, but cable failed (it wasn't charging) and my phone died during coding.
I had previous Kombi ecu backups and tried to restore earlier version, but Carly either says wasn't able to restore or it just stops in the middle and nothing happens.
Basically now I have fuel and temp gauges not working and got some errors too. Car is driveable, but now I'm thinking how to fix it.
One person suggested following: "You'll either most likely have to inject a CAF or do a cdeploy as a flash target instead of just coding. This all is assuming that the module is still responding on the bus and didn't get fully botched".
So i need esys/ISTA for that (Carly won't do anything like that lol).The problem is I'm not at all experienced with coding via esys/ISTA and in addition I don't have battery charger to keep me safe during remote session. I also don't have laptop, I only have surface tablet which has no slot for enet cable. (I have proper laptop back in NY, but not here in AZ).

I was thinking:
1. Buy battery charger, buy some cheap laptop and enet and do a remote session.
2. Find some local coder, but the one I found locally suggested that I go to dealer to recode it back to stock, so that missing coding packets get replaced. He said it's very expensive
3. Find some more experienced coder who can fix it without going to dealer lol.

Not sure what to do at this point. My warranty is up, so going to a dealer that will see my tampering attempts is probably a bad idea. They can easily hit me with a $3k bill for complete reflash (and I'll loose my tune as well). So I'm trying to find easier solution if at all possible. I know I can just replace 6wa or even 6wb LED cluster panel worst case scenario (if Kombi ecu module is fried) and it still be cheaper than going for a reflash to a dealer, plus I'll get a LED panel lol.
Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
wordsworth03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Sorry to hear about that man. To save some money in regards to a laptop, there are USB to Ethernet adapters that exist. I use one with my wife’s Surface Pro because it’s the only Windows based PC we have and it works fine. The one thing I’m not sure about is if Esys runs on a regular Surface (non-Pro).
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Not sure about US prices, but updating a module to the latest software at the BMW Dealership costs about 100$ in EU.
You will not lose your tuning, just the codings of that module (KOMBI in your case).
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth03 View Post
Sorry to hear about that man. To save some money in regards to a laptop, there are USB to Ethernet adapters that exist. I use one with my wife’s Surface Pro because it’s the only Windows based PC we have and it works fine. The one thing I’m not sure about is if Esys runs on a regular Surface (non-Pro).
Thank you! I have Surface Pro also, so I'll buy then USB>Ethernet adapter. It's the only solution at this point for me to try remote coding. I'll buy some battery charger too.

Went to see couple local "coders" but to no avail. One was a joker that only does simple stuff like fodling mirrors etc. via Bimmercode Another one said he will need to re-flash whole car (all modules and DME including). He had no idea what injecting CAF is or how to do a cdeploy. Heavens to Betsy - these guys advertise and ask $250 just to update new version without even looking into my issue.

So I think remote coding session with a real coder is my best bet - to see if module is revive-able. If not I'll venture into swapping my instrument panel 6wa to same or possibly full LED 6wb.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
Not sure about US prices, but updating a module to the latest software at the BMW Dealership costs about 100$ in EU.
You will not lose your tuning, just the codings of that module (KOMBI in your case).
Wow - that's great news! In that case I'll inquire with my dealer - that would be awesome if they can do that! The local "coder" told me they can only update whole car and that will take 5-6 hours and will cost close to $1k. I'm going to check with dealer. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
sloanbj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive50i MSport

Good reminder to all of us that there is risk in playing with the code.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanbj View Post
Good reminder to all of us that there is risk in playing with the code.
Yes! I coded with Carly (simple things) many times, and I always do a backup before I code (I think both Carly and Bimmercode do that by default). I also knew about risks with low voltage, but since I was only doing Kombi ecu module - my car was running/idling and low voltage wasn't an issue. My phone was on charging cable and I thought I covered everything lol. I got carried away and didn't look if phone is indeed charging. Cable decided to stop working and you know the rest of the story lol. BTW it's original oem Apple cable. Maybe I should send them a receipt for my expenses lol jk

So yeah, I have a talent to create problems for me out of nowhere
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
mindcontrollerone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2015 X5

Scary stuff! I’d also try clearing the errors and re-coding a few things in the instrument panel to see if that works.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcontrollerone View Post
Scary stuff! I’d also try clearing the errors and re-coding a few things in the instrument panel to see if that works.
Thanks man! I tried that already, Carly will clear errors, but they come back right away. Re-coding either stops midway and nothing happens or Carly says it is unable to recode. I don't even know if module is fried or not. My only guess is that if it was fried - then nothing would work, but right now everything works except fuel and temp gauge and bunch of errors.

I can try to take battery terminal off for 20min, but I doubt that would miraculously fix it. At this point esys or ISTA is a must I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
mindcontrollerone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Thanks man! I tried that already, Carly will clear errors, but they come back right away. Re-coding either stops midway and nothing happens or Carly says it is unable to recode. I don't even know if module is fried or not. My only guess is that if it was fried - then nothing would work, but right now everything works except fuel and temp gauge and bunch of errors.

I can try to take battery terminal off for 20min, but I doubt that would miraculously fix it. At this point esys or ISTA is a must I think.
I use bimmercode and sometimes it’s best clearing errors with OBD Fusion, it’s free in the App Store. Worth a shot... the battery terminal might work as well.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

When i was programming my LED headlights for VLD and Anti-dazzle I saved all of my CAFD File, I have a copy of my KOMBI CAFD file available, but mine been a 35d and yours is a 50i will have incompatibility issue.

Perhaps if someone has a copy of 50i KOMBI CAFD and if you can get a copy of your KOMBI file, get the NCID/CAFD viewer "here" tool to view what you're missing and using ESYS to rebuild the your file. That would be the cheapest or "last resort" (if no one would assist) solution but its a gamble tho.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
When i was programming my LED headlights for VLD and Anti-dazzle I saved all of my CAFD File, I have a copy of my KOMBI CAFD file available, but mine been a 35d and yours is a 50i will have incompatibility issue.

Perhaps if someone has a copy of 50i KOMBI CAFD and if you can get a copy of your KOMBI file, get the NCID/CAFD viewer "here" tool to view what you're missing and using ESYS to rebuild the your file. That would be the cheapest or "last resort" (if no one would assist) solution but its a gamble tho.
Thanks man! I appreciate! I'm actually slowly gathering everything for a remote session. Just bought USB to Etherent adapter for enet cable. Ordered battery charger. Would you recommend someone with experience for online session?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #13
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
I have a copy of my stock CAFD files if you need them. 2016 50i. I'm sure some options will be different, but it may be a good starting point. The entire folder is only 120KB.

Hopefully Almaretto or shawnsheridan will chime in shortly with some help.
DuSh2113.50
      07-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

You need to ensure the ilevel is the same before importing the settings from another module/car.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
I have a copy of my stock CAFD files if you need them. 2016 50i. I'm sure some options will be different, but it may be a good starting point. The entire folder is only 120KB.

Hopefully Almaretto or shawnsheridan will chime in shortly with some help.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...38&postcount=1
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Update: just finished remote session with a very cool and knowledgeable guy Steve Ma http://www.codemybimmer.ca

He is a sponsor of our forum anyway, so many of you probably know him. All I needed was a enet cable and a laptop. He installed software remotely and recoded my car. My instrument Kombi panel bricked by a Carly adapter is now working as new and he also fixed my EGS module error (separate issue with transmission and Sport+ mode). Took about 30min total, including downloading and installation of esys etc. Very professional and I'll be using him in the future for all my coding needs.

I'm just so glad I didn't have to buy another 6WA/6WB panel - he saved my sorry arse basically.

Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      07-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Update: just finished remote session with a very cool and knowledgeable guy Steve Ma http://www.codemybimmer.ca

He is a sponsor of our forum anyway, so many of you probably know him. All I needed was a enet cable and a laptop. He installed software remotely and recoded my car. My instrument Kombi panel bricked by a Carly adapter is now working as new and he also fixed my EGS module error (separate issue with transmission and Sport+ mode). Took about 30min total, including downloading and installation of esys etc. Very professional and I'll be using him in the future for all my coding needs.

I'm just so glad I didn't have to buy another 6WA/6WB panel - he saved my sorry arse basically.

Glad it worked out for you. Not the first time I have seen app like Carly or Bimmercode fail, leaving user screwed without resources like E-sys/ISTA+ to fix.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      07-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Glad it worked out for you. Not the first time I have seen app like Carly or Bimmercode fail, leaving user screwed without resources like E-sys/ISTA+ to fix.
Yeah, he said he had 6 clients with Carly bricking various modules. I didn't ask about Bimmercode, but I'm sure it's similar. I'm glad that at least in F series modules seem to not really "brick" and are recoverable - unlike E series (infamous frm module as one example).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #19
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, he said he had 6 clients with Carly bricking various modules. I didn't ask about Bimmercode, but I'm sure it's similar. I'm glad that at least in F series modules seem to not really "brick" and are recoverable - unlike E series (infamous frm module as one example).
I have recovered at least six, some of which were Bimmercode.

Definitely good to fix issue before going to dealership because also seen people get voided warranties.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50