BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #23
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

OK, just talked to the Service Manager and our X5 should be ready by end of day. They were able to reproduce the "hiccup" some of us are experience under heavy acceleration. They replaced all 6 coils and plugs as well as the transfer case VTG. Hope this fixes it. Thank goodness for the CPO warranty :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #24
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-X5 View Post
OK, just talked to the Service Manager and our X5 should be ready by end of day. They were able to reproduce the "hiccup" some of us are experience under heavy acceleration. They replaced all 6 coils and plugs as well as the transfer case VTG. Hope this fixes it. Thank goodness for the CPO warranty :-)
Got the car back and after they replaced coils and plugs there still was the "shutter" as they called it. Below is a scan of what they replaced to fix it, all covered under CPO warranty. All seems well, I did loose my coding though

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #25
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Interesting. This may be a completely separate issue. Not sure what to think. I guess I will try to unplug it and drive without it - to check. I know the plug is accessible from below, but plastic cover is in the way. On positive note - that will make car RWD maybe I should leave it like that? More power on dyno too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #26
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBB F95 Comp

i have got that shuddering after BPC , so i think that my transfer case is ok.Bob have send me 2nd tuned file with less power (5-10% less ) and what i have noticed after the flash was that first there was a drivetrain malfunction popped on and than after car sleeps and turned on there was no message .I jump on the highway and drive around. Now that shuddering is not that mush as it was and its on higher speed.120Mph , 4.5Rpm... the other thing i have notice is that the gears are shifting more smoother ... With the 1st tune definitely car is more aggressive but when shifting gears had that little punch... now is better but drivetrain malfunction drive moderately ... lights on and than back off when i step on the gas .So i assume is the tune but i think i will have to go with changing the spark plugs too ...
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #27
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Thanks for posting Vlado! Yes, I think we are looking at couple different issues (maybe even 3 if tune is 3rd issue) with transfer case and plugs.

Transfer case may very well go bad like in Florida-X5 case, but I suspect it's not the case for many of us. Also, from E70/E71 forum (we basically have same transfer case) when TC goes bad - it starts to shudder even on speeds from 30mph and especially in traffic and the cause was poor oil supply and worn friction disk packet due to high heat. I'm not the expert, but I think we are looking at several issues that have similar symptoms and it's hard to distinguish.
I'll try to unplug my TC just to be sure. If I'll manage to do it easily - I'll post pics.

P.S. I also heard that TC disengages fully at highway speeds above 65mph - so I'm not sure if that is true or not, but if it is - then we can exclude TC as the cause.
Hum, Looks like transfer case is a potential issue as well. Another reason to change the fluid earlier.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #28
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912 View Post
Hum, Looks like transfer case is a potential issue as well. Another reason to change the fluid earlier.
Oh yeah, I agree with that. The shop that specializes in transmissions and TC - said to change TC fluid every 40k miles.
I still want to try to unplug it - if it works - I'll drive unplugged, except in winter season. I'm assuming handling should increase in RWD mode, MPG may go up a bit and dyno pulls should be a bit higher
Appreciate 1
perry8912101.00
      07-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #29
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-X5 View Post
You got the plugs and coils replaced under CPO warranty too?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #30
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey man it's your car, your choice, but I would go with X5M or NGK plugs. Stock originals are already failing on stock 50i. I mean wouldn't you want to get something a bit better?
Hey, meant the plugs are originals, never swapped. I did get the X5M plugs for replacement.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #31
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

So apparently we can add another issue that may be causing similar symptoms: HPFP failure. It's very rear (it's nothing like it was on N54), but I saw 1 post on facebook that ended with hpfp replacement under warranty. Similar symptoms - car is shuddering during acceleration. The only difference is that with hpfp you do get a bunch of specific codes.
I'm just saying we may be talking about several different issues that have very similar symptoms and to really distinguish between them - you really need to have a good bmw scanner that can read codes and/or you need to try some things to logically eliminate wrong choices. Like unplugging TC to check if it's the cause or not.
Of course for those who are not tuned and under warranty - there is a simple choice - go to dealer. For others - we need to share info - maybe we'll sort it out eventually.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #32
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlado View Post
i have got that shuddering after BPC , so i think that my transfer case is ok.Bob have send me 2nd tuned file with less power (5-10% less ) and what i have noticed after the flash was that first there was a drivetrain malfunction popped on and than after car sleeps and turned on there was no message .I jump on the highway and drive around. Now that shuddering is not that mush as it was and its on higher speed.120Mph , 4.5Rpm... the other thing i have notice is that the gears are shifting more smoother ... With the 1st tune definitely car is more aggressive but when shifting gears had that little punch... now is better but drivetrain malfunction drive moderately ... lights on and than back off when i step on the gas .So i assume is the tune but i think i will have to go with changing the spark plugs too ...
guys i need some help if possible . this morning i had to drop my parents to the airport and i when i get off the car and the car was still running the engine is making ticking noise . i cant tell what that is and i know that this noise was not there on the first tuning flash. i know is hard to say from this video , but if anyone have any idea what that might be . I dont have any engine lights or fault codes . i have even run diagnostic thru BPC software and there is no codes .. anyone has any thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weK8...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #33
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

Friday after i get back home from work i have let the car work with ac on so it can get colder inside since the flash takes about 30 minutes to install itself and i have to be inside No sound .. car was so quiet. So i ran the power cables from my wife's car get in my and ...boom ... BPC software was out of date ... i get home and download the newer version . in the morning (Saturday ) i install the new software and installed the 2nd tune ...i drove the car etc... i have notice this noise this morning . Yesterday i drove the car for about 4 miles,but i dont know if it was there or not .. Cant hear it inside
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #34
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

yes
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #35
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
You got the plugs and coils replaced under CPO warranty too?
Yes, I was under the 60k miles when the maintenance manual says they should be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #36
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I asked about it on the N63TU page in facebook, so far consensus is it's not injectors. It's something else. I'll update what the consensus will be.
That been said, can you flash back to stock - just to check that it's not a error during flashing or something? I know it's easy for me to say, since it takes 30min to flash, but I'm just trying to eliminate a tune/flash so we can go further. Also, if you will have to go to a dealer - you'll need stock flash.
i will go back to stock as soon as i get back home . that is the first thing i will do. I hope that this will go away ... not sure if i have bad coil or spark that this will produce that ticking noise ... i have no engine light or any cell so hope that this is something minor from being tuned 2nd time .. Dont know ... that why i was hoping that someone can tell .
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #37
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So no one really knows what can it be so far, but I don't like the sound of it. Fingers crossed it's going to go away after reflash.

Timing chain will sound differently - more ratchety. Valves sound more ticking, not like this - this sound has some louder knock sound - that i don't like. Vanos? I'm, not sure how Vanos sounds. Spun rod bearing sound completely different.
Rod knock - it does sound like it imho. I don't want to think about it - I'm hoping I'm wrong.

check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MY5lSSHf4g

cant be the rod... mine is not even close to that
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #38
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That gives hope! Maybe it's something silly like incorrect flash messing up vanos or something.
That is what i am praying for ... next step is ... . Car is only 15k miles and i have warrant but after put the car back to stock and that sill there BMW NA may find that there was a DME flash and i am screwed ... i have found that it might be just rod bearing that might be the problem ... dont know
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #39
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

last time i have checked the oil was couple days ago. If not mistaken saturday nigh .. it was at the max.Not sure when i have changed the oil but i think was about the end of February beginning of March . i always check my oil every 1-2 weeks. The mechanic i use for oil change is working on German cars only and he is a very knowledgeable .. He is using Motul 5W40 . Not sure thou but is Motul
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #40
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

I hope it’s nothing serious but I’m with Dush on this one it don’t sound to good.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #41
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
That is what i am praying for ... next step is ... . Car is only 15k miles and i have warrant but after put the car back to stock and that sill there BMW NA may find that there was a DME flash and i am screwed ... i have found that it might be just rod bearing that might be the problem ... dont know
Sounds a lot like the vanos cylinder to me but I'm not expert. I had something like this happen on my n54. Sometimes I could make it go away by resetting vanos adaptations. WOrth a try I guess.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #42
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

i have installed my stock data and that sound is still there ... no codes no engine lights ....not sure if i want to drive around and see if this will go away after adaptation...i will wait 30 minutes and car should be in sleep mode . i will go out and drive a mile and i can only hope that will be an adaptation .honestly highly doubt it
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #43
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep

i have send that video to my mechanic and he told me that this is no good.. now that been said i can now only hope that bmw will not gonna see that flashed ..now i wonder what are the potential risk .. what they will look for and if they find it

Last edited by Katsumoto; 07-16-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #44
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i have send that video to my mechanic and he told me that this is no good.. now that been said i can now only hope that bmw will not gonna see that flashed ..now i wonder what are the potential risk .. what they will look for and if they find it
I would probably wipe this thread out..bmw does read these and your youtube video has your name on it.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50