BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 Sport Carbon Black

2014 X5 replace engine warranty

Guys,

I had my x5 in last month on a metallic sound on acceleration. Not in neutral, brake torque or rev and only under load. Did not sound like detonation, but seemed like drive train.

Dealer gave me a loaner for 3 weeks as they could not pinpoint it. Then said we think it is the turbo and replaced it.

They said it was done after replacing the turbo. Went with the mechanic for a drive. Did get the sound.

Today they called me said it was the motor and they will replace it. I asked if short block or long. They said long. Yea!

To be honest I could not be happier with BMW. They stood behind their product! The X5 had 46000 miles and the warranty ended Monday.

My only question is will they have any warranty with the new engine and the work they have done ? I have not asked yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
Katsumoto
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBB F95 Comp

They will. Good luck with new motor. What motor you have thought ? I know many people will be curious
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

There is normal some warranty on this but I am not sure on the length
      07-19-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

I’m surprised that the solid N55 engine will be replaced under low mileage. I guess it’s all about luck. Did the dealer find out the causes?
Glad to see they give you a new engine before warranty expires....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 12:54 AM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_internet View Post
2014 (July Slot should have in 2 weeks) was pissed ordered on 6/18 that is was not a 2015 ( I asked them then found out a day later I could of!!)
X5 XDrive 3.5i
Carbon Blk
M Sport Pkg
Lux Seat Pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
Prem Pkg
Comfort Rear Seats

OP you have 3.5xi motor? That's the issue! Lately for the past week I've seen 3 owners of mysterious 3.5 engine. Apparently it's a not reliable engine and very rare one. Hopefully you'll get it replaced by a more reliable n55. The rumor is they go in a 35i. So i guess dealer will rebadge your X5 from 3.5xi to 35i
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      07-20-2018, 04:45 AM   #6
sloanbj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive50i MSport

Find out what happened. It is not normal for a car to need a new motor at 46k. Was it run without oil or coolant?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanbj View Post
Find out what happened. It is not normal for a car to need a new motor at 46k. Was it run without oil or coolant?
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be warranted if it were run without fluids. Not to mention it would probably be pretty easy to determine that.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Maybe you toss them some dough and they drop in a n63tu ?
Appreciate 3
Russmov1328.00
DuSh2112.50
Wavy1139.50
      07-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

All repairs done usually come with 1-year, 12k miles warranty, so I don't see why you wouldn't get at least that from them.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is a 2014 X5 xDrive 35i
Msport option

I took care of the car.
Changed with Mobil One 0-40 every 4-5000 miles.
No leaks
No issues with coolant
No issues overall
Clean car no accidents or any other issue
Ran good no miss or anything else
Always used shell or Mobil premium gas

I noticed a rattle when accelerating.
- Sounded like a metallic sound more like metal linkage just rattling but not loud.
- However it had a regular beat to it when accelerating
- Did not change with RPM (from what I could tell)
- Did not happen when moving and put in neutral
- Did not happen when rev and not in gear
- Only when in gear and moving and accelerating
- Did not sound like detonation to me

What they did. (BMW dealer where we bought new)
The original mechanic put in a request for a engine thinking it may be the timing chain and related. BMW denied and sent engineers onsite.

- They had regional BMW engineers come to the dealership to help diagnose
- They disconnected the transfer case (not sure what) and it was still there
- They disconnected the turbo linkage and supposedly it went away. They checked for slop in the turbo and it had more so they replaced it. They thought it was that as they drove it after

- Then I came by and drove with the mechanic. We chatted on the N54 vs. N55 etc.. and swapped what I did and heard. Then we heard the rattle again.

Well at some point after that they went back to the shop mgmt, then back to BMW corporate and decided that it was the motor.

Like I said before. Overall knowing they had it for 3 weeks and the warranty expired Monday. They could of did some quick fix and give it back to me. But they stood behind it! Just curious on what they will warranty the new engine for?

Thoughts / Question ?

Last edited by j_internet; 07-21-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 3
Violator4587.50
Russmov1328.00
      07-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Thanks for the detailed timeline of events and details.

Did you ever have any mods on it?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #12
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nope bone stock no mods. It was my wife's daily driver. Was never abused and never driven hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 01:37 AM   #13
yamaharecker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35i

Quote:
Nope bone stock no mods. It was my wife's daily driver. Was never abused and never driven hard.
Awww crap..... I've been hearing that sound on and off for the past 1-2m and I just fell off warranty back in April with only 33k miles right now. Its not there all the time but I can definitely hear it when the engine is warmed up and driving near/against a barrier under load. Like you it only occurs under acceleration with a regular beat, and does not make any sound while coasting or braking. If you get a chance can you ask the SA/tech what the reason is for that metallic sound??? It sounds like its detrimental if they are replacing the motor so I need to find out if BMW can help me at this point! Thanks!

Last edited by yamaharecker; 07-21-2018 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:10 AM   #14
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharecker View Post
Awww crap..... I've been hearing that sound on and off for the past 1-2m and I just fell off warranty back in April with only 33k miles right now. Its not there all the time but I can definitely hear it when the engine is warmed up and driving near/against a barrier under load. Like you it only occurs under acceleration with a regular beat, and does not make any sound while coasting or braking. If you get a chance can you ask the SA/tech what the reason is for that metallic sound??? It sounds like its detrimental if they are replacing the motor so I need to find out if BMW can help me at this point! Thanks!
A 3rd party warranty on the 35i isn't anywhere near as crazy as the 50i. Perhaps it's time to see how much it would be.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #15
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharecker View Post

I will find out. The tech is a good guy and cares that he does a good job. I am sure if he was not persistent it would of not got as far as it did (and I am grateful). From what he told me he first thought it might be something with the timing chain. I don't know if he will pull apart the old engine but I will ask him. It could be that the timing chain was stretched and slapping when under load. You would of thought the guides and vanos would of thrown a error with a sensor if there was that much slack. The guides and tensioner can only do so much. I do know one of the times they thought it might be dentation but, I have always used premium Shell or Mobil so they discounted that.

I will post if I know more..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #16
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Please post the root cause details when you have a chance.

Small percentage of N55 engines have been affected by excessive connecting rod bearing wear.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #17
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Please post the root cause details when you have a chance.

Small percentage of N55 engines have been affected by excessive connecting rod bearing wear.

I will.

Mine was more of a metallic sound like tapping a say a bic pen on a metal linkage. It was a constant beat and not irregular. It did not seem to follow RPM but, it had its sweet spot when going 10-40mph and 1/8-1/4 on the pedal. I should of recorded it. It happened at 1-3000 rpm when doing a slight acceleration and load. Not at idle or when revving. Also seem to be there when warm.

It did not sound like a rod nock. As I have built small block chevy's v8, v6 GM's. and wrenched for a few years. But those were cast iron. That and my vette has some piston slap (LS1) hate to say it but a known mfg issues with some loose tolerances. My Jeep Grand Cherokee has the piston slap/diesel when cold for the first 5 min but that is just wear and tear and millage.

Thinking of it now however..... being an aluminum block it might be rod bearing but, still sounds more metallic (higher sound) then a rod nock that has a little more bass to the sound...

Now my X3 has a N55 with 44k ….. I hope I don't ever hear anything on that one....

Last edited by j_internet; 07-22-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
yamaharecker
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
A 3rd party warranty on the 35i isn't anywhere near as crazy as the 50i. Perhaps it's time to see how much it would be.
Yeah I'm going to look into the a route 66 warranty and check out a few other ones as well. Small price to pay instead of replacing an entire block.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #19
yamaharecker
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will.

Mine was more of a metallic sound like tapping a say a bic pen on a metal linkage. It was a constant beat and not irregular. It did not seem to follow RPM but, it had its sweet spot when going 10-40mph and 1/8-1/4 on the pedal. I should of recorded it. It happened at 1-3000 rpm when doing a slight acceleration and load. Not at idle or when revving. Also seem to be there when warm.

It did not sound like a rod nock. As I have built small block chevy's v8, v6 GM's. and wrenched for a few years. But those were cast iron. That and my vette has some piston slap (LS1) hate to say it but a known mfg issues with some loose tolerances. My Jeep Grand Cherokee has the piston slap/diesel when cold for the first 5 min but that is just wear and tear and millage.

Thinking of it now however..... being an aluminum block it might be rod bearing but, still sounds more metallic (higher sound) then a rod nock that has a little more base to the sound...

Now my X3 has a N55 with 44k ….. I hope I don't ever hear anything on that one....
Ill try to take a video in the next couple days to see if its the same sound as yours. Thanks for the update
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #20
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well it was confirmed today they think it was a rod bearing and a new long block is on order. Looks like I caught this just in time...!
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      07-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #21
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Well it was confirmed today they think it was a rod bearing and a new long block is on order. Looks like I caught this just in time...!
Sucks that you have to deal with it happening in the first place, but great news that they are covering you. I would truly hate to see the bill for that repair lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #22
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Sucks that you have to deal with it happening in the first place, but great news that they are covering you. I would truly hate to see the bill for that repair lol

Yep I am glad they are covering it. I am sure that I will have some other items that I will have to pick up. I did ask them to flush the coolant. However, a new engine well.... I am sure that I will have to pay for the coolant.. overall not happy that it was a bearing with 47k miles and I would expect better quality... BUT I am happy that they spent the time, did not skimp, and did the right thing!
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00