BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
kry226
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

European to U.S. Maps on 2018 X5

Not long ago we took European delivery of our X5 and part of the deal was that European maps would be installed prior to taking delivery. Well it looks like we'll be returning back to the States within the next ten months or so, possibly sooner, and I'd like to get my ducks in a row in preparation for installing the U.S. maps.

In my 2013 X1, installing the latest European/U.S. maps was easy...download the maps and enter an FSC code during installation. Bingo.

With the latest iDrive, I haven't seen any references to swapping the base maps. Since I'm a DIY guy and would very much like to not donate a few hundred bones to my dealer, is it the same general process for the latest system?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Your vehicle is US spec - correct ? Installing European maps is a courtesy for European delivery customers. When the car is delivered to you in the US, the dealer should install US navigation maps as part of the delivery prep process. Quick call to BMW NA is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
Not long ago we took European delivery of our X5 and part of the deal was that European maps would be installed prior to taking delivery. Well it looks like we'll be returning back to the States within the next ten months or so, possibly sooner, and I'd like to get my ducks in a row in preparation for installing the U.S. maps.

In my 2013 X1, installing the latest European/U.S. maps was easy...download the maps and enter an FSC code during installation. Bingo.

With the latest iDrive, I haven't seen any references to swapping the base maps. Since I'm a DIY guy and would very much like to not donate a few hundred bones to my dealer, is it the same general process for the latest system?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.

I’m assuming that you don’t mean ED as in the real ED since they don’t offer it on the X models made in Spartanburg. If this was a purchase through the Military Sales program and you selected the EU maps, then you can swap the maps very easily using a USB from **************/OEM Navigations (without the space )
I’m not sure why the asterisks are there now, it was his user name. PM me and I can send his contact info, I’ve used him several times.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:18 AM   #4
kry226
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Your vehicle is US spec - correct ? Installing European maps is a courtesy for European delivery customers. When the car is delivered to you in the US, the dealer should install US navigation maps as part of the delivery prep process. Quick call to BMW NA is a good idea.
Yes, U.S. spec, and when it's shipped back to the U.S, I'll be picking up at the port or contracted delivery location and not a dealer. Until I register the car in the U.S., BMW NA won't tell me squat. I tried calling during the shipping process for some info, and my VIN wouldn't even come up on their computer. Same thing with my U.S. spec 2013 X1. It was bought and delivered here in Germany (I bought it used here) and hasn't ever been shipped back to the U.S. Cannot deal with BMW NA at all. Couldn't even add either car to my BMW NA account/profile online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I’m assuming that you don’t mean ED as in the real ED since they don’t offer it on the X models made in Spartanburg. If this was a purchase through the Military Sales program and you selected the EU maps, then you can swap the maps very easily using a USB from **************/OEM Navigations (without the space )
I’m not sure why the asterisks are there now, it was his user name. PM me and I can send his contact info, I’ve used him several times.
Correct, not true ED at the Welt, and that's exactly what we did...purchase through the Military Sales program and selected the EU maps. Glad to hear this may be an easy process, I'm just not familiar with the newest system and didn't know if there were any technical roadblocks with the base map swap. Almost all forum discussions center around the 2014-16 vehicles. PM sent for more info.

Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

PM sent
Appreciate 0