Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #838
Carpe_BM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EX-BMW (2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL4407 View Post
New to me, 2013 BMW X5. Having an issue with the hatchback opening and closing. It only opens about a third of the way, then another third, and then the final third when pressing the button. On closing it only goes part way down and the only way to close it is to apply force when it’s closing.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Isn't there a setting to control the height of opening on initial attempt? Sure it can be adjusted...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:21 AM   #839
ManImCool
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLurker View Post
No worry as the airbag doesn't actually deploy through a hole underneath the logo emblem, so the dented emblem is not going to come shooting out at you (whether dented or not).

The whole panel in the centre of the steering wheel pops open while staying attached to the steering wheel. The force of the airbag opening deploying forces the panel to open up and hinge out of the way.

The only time you might get hit by debris is from a defective Takata airbag deploying.
Thanks, this was exactly the information I was looking for.

I had one of those Takata airbags a few BMWs ago so I probably still have some subconscious concerns of flying shrapnel at any given time!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #840
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Windshield wiper fluid not spraying anymore

Wiper fluid not spraying anymore for front and rear windshields.
Got a wiper fluid low message on the dash for a split second and wiper fluid is not spraying any more. No more fluid low message either in the dash or system menu.
Filled up the windshield washer fluid tank with a full gallon of generic blue washer fluid. Head lamp cleaner works but the windshield sprayers don't. I can hear the pump run when trying to activate the spray. Possibly frozen outlets? Stopped after about 15 tries to avoid burning the pumps.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #841
ManImCool
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
Got a wiper fluid low message on the dash for a split second and wiper fluid is not spraying any more. No more fluid low message either in the dash or system menu.
Filled up the windshield washer fluid tank with a full gallon of generic blue washer fluid. Head lamp cleaner works but the windshield sprayers don't. I can hear the pump run when trying to activate the spray. Possibly frozen outlets? Stopped after about 15 tries to avoid burning the pumps.
I don't know if F15 has this same issue, but I had an E90 where they suddenly stopped spraying even though I could hear the pumps trying. After posting the same problem in that respective forum, everyone's first question was whether I was using BMW OEM fluid or literally anything else. Turns out using any non-OEM BMW wash over a period of time will eventually clog your system's filter up. I had to unclog it by getting to the actual pump/tank, requiring me to remove a wheel and the wheel well paneling. Sure enough there was a bunch of nastiness blocking the filter. Cleared that out and everything immediately started working again.

Although I think it's a bit odd that our precious BMWs can only take precious OEM-fluid to remain clog-free, I've only used 100% BMW OEM fluid ever since on 3 different cars and have never had any issues. Whenever I take my car in for dealership service they'd refill with OEM for free if it was noticeably low, but I also always have a couple extra bottles on hand at home in case it's been a while since a dealership refill. You can grab OEM off Amazon for cheaper than the dealership once you've done your unclogging.

Of course, if you've always used 100% OEM with the exception of that generic blue bottle just now being a one-time thing, then your issue is likely different than what I had.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #842
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

55k miles and valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket need replaced. BMW can't get these seals correct. It's the exact same story as my N54 335i had.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #843
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
I don't know if F15 has this same issue, but I had an E90 where they suddenly stopped spraying even though I could hear the pumps trying. After posting the same problem in that respective forum, everyone's first question was whether I was using BMW OEM fluid or literally anything else. Turns out using any non-OEM BMW wash over a period of time will eventually clog your system's filter up. I had to unclog it by getting to the actual pump/tank, requiring me to remove a wheel and the wheel well paneling. Sure enough there was a bunch of nastiness blocking the filter. Cleared that out and everything immediately started working again.

Although I think it's a bit odd that our precious BMWs can only take precious OEM-fluid to remain clog-free, I've only used 100% BMW OEM fluid ever since on 3 different cars and have never had any issues. Whenever I take my car in for dealership service they'd refill with OEM for free if it was noticeably low, but I also always have a couple extra bottles on hand at home in case it's been a while since a dealership refill. You can grab OEM off Amazon for cheaper than the dealership once you've done your unclogging.

Of course, if you've always used 100% OEM with the exception of that generic blue bottle just now being a one-time thing, then your issue is likely different than what I had.
The weird thing is, I use the same fluid in my e92 for 5 plus years and still no issue. I refilled the fluid as soon as the low warning came on and the fluid stopped spraying for both front and rear windshields. Fluid low warning was supposed to follow with rear wipers not spraying. I did some digging and looks like the washer fluid tank and the screen that gets clogged is inside the passenger side fender in f15. Trying to decide on whether I want to tackle the whole fender removal to see if the screens are the issue. I hope it's just some blockage where I can reach it without taking everything apart. With the temperature in low 40s, I am stuck till it somewhat warms up even to attempt anything as such. Till then I will be driving my e92 when it snows.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #844
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Got a P0461 code today. Related to fuel sensor. My tank would stop a gallon or two short of full. Should I be worried? I will clear it today and see if it comes back lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #845
lshiroda1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2023 M850 Conver

Yet again, my air suspension is acting up. Left side leaning and raises a bit when driving. Bouncy ride. Service appt is next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #846
Zuza_Zoomin8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive

2015 35i Issue with Suspension

I've had my 35i for about 2 years now, its on almost 70k miles, and the only issue I've had with it is a slight squeaking coming from the front driver-side suspension when braking or accelerating. It seems to be a bushing gone bad that I will eventually get around to replacing.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:49 AM   #847
A-4WD
Long Time Bimmer Fan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuza_Zoomin8 View Post
I've had my 35i for about 2 years now, its on almost 70k miles, and the only issue I've had with it is a slight squeaking coming from the front driver-side suspension when braking or accelerating. It seems to be a bushing gone bad that I will eventually get around to replacing.
I have the same problem and I heard an e70 make that exact same noise this past summer. My mechanic says it's most likely a common bushing problem w/ X5. It's sealed and has to be replaced (cannot be greased). Only thing that makes me say wtf is that the noise went away after replacing my rotors and pads but then came back (exact same mofo squeak) within a few weeks!
1985 318i - RIP
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #848
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
55k miles and valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket need replaced. BMW can't get these seals correct. It's the exact same story as my N54 335i had.
Same story here. I was getting a weird plastic burnt smell so I took it to the mechanic. They charged me 575 to replace and change everything.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #849
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Quote:
Same story here. I was getting a weird plastic burnt smell so I took it to the mechanic. They charged me 575 to replace and change everything.
Can you describe a bit the smell ? Was it constant when that was happening ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #850
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Quote:
Can you describe a bit the smell ? Was it constant when that was happening ?
Yeah it was constantly but sometimes it would go away during the day for a short period of time. The smell was strong when I used to put the heater for the windshield. When you opened the hood you could also smell it. There was a small amount of dried up oil on the top of oil filter housing. To me he smell was like plastic was burning, very weird smell. Like something was hot inside the hood and the heat was giving out the smell. It didn't smell like oil to me but it actually was.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:03 AM   #851
A-4WD
Long Time Bimmer Fan
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Had my oil filter housing gasket changed earlier this year as well w/ ~ 70,000 miles on it. It was covered under CPO otherwise looking at $500...are you f'n kidding me? At least they washed the engine bay afterwards so it came out looking new but this is not the type of shit that should go this early.
1985 318i - RIP
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:58 AM   #852
siyadsalah
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Has nothing to do with coding. Just your driving habits
That was the last thing i wanted to hear

thank you Maverik259
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:49 AM   #853
HonoluluX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-4WD View Post
Quote:
Had my oil filter housing gasket changed earlier this year as well w/ ~ 70,000 miles on it. It was covered under CPO otherwise looking at $500...are you f'n kidding me? At least they washed the engine bay afterwards so it came out looking new but this is not the type of shit that should go this early.
I just had my 2016 replaced with 25k miles. Was really concerned after putting a quart of oil in after only driving for a week. Crazy, but I've heard that's one of the things that fail. Been good since the repair.
Appreciate 1
A-4WD215.00
      12-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #854
A-4WD
Long Time Bimmer Fan
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoluluX5 View Post
I just had my 2016 replaced with 25k miles. Was really concerned after putting a quart of oil in after only driving for a week. Crazy, but I've heard that's one of the things that fail. Been good since the repair.
You'll prolly end up adding 1 qt of oil between oil changes which seems pretty normal for BMW lol...fyi.
1985 318i - RIP
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #855
KingBiscuit
KingBiscuit
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW X5x35i/'14 Lexus EX350

Learn something new every day. Not spending the money to reprogram stuff right now but I did figure out how to roll up windows/sunroof without getting in and starting the vehicle. I was watching reviews and one really long on barely mentioned it.
      01-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #856
GuyThomas
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 50i

Transmission Issues

Hello everyone, new here but have been reading and learning quite a bit.

Last February I purchased a 2015 X5 50i used with 34k miles. I drive approx 25k miles a year and just hit 59k miles. Absolutely love the vehicle for daily responsibilities.

I have performed all suggested maintenance and change the oil every 5k myself. I Started to have some slipping in the transmission and dropped it off this morning. The dealership pulled the codes and is recommending a full replacement. I have a 125k mile warranty that will be covering this.

Just posting this here to get some feedback and others experience with reman'd units?

Thank you to all for the valuable information found here on these vehicles and maintenance.

Last edited by GuyThomas; 01-13-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #857
KingBiscuit
KingBiscuit
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW X5x35i/'14 Lexus EX350

That sucks pretty hard. They say why?
      01-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #858
GuyThomas
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBiscuit View Post
That sucks pretty hard. They say why?
I do not have the codes but 6-7 shift was a slip/bang while all others were smooth.

After a bit of stop and go traffic- the downshift to second gear while then getting back into slight acceleration with traffic made the transmission feel like it was going to drop out of the car.

I drive very cautiously and average over 20mpg. Always in 'D' mode. All else is great, burning 1 qt every 5k so everything seems normal and no lights on the dash at all.