BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
Amsterdave
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d-MS & 2018 BMW X3 30i

Whistling sound from center dash vents

I'm having an odd noise issue with my 2015 X5 35d. Before taking my car to the dealer I wanted to check if anyone else has dealt with this issue or has any idea what could be causing this:

There is an intermittent whistling sound coming from the center front seat blowers. Kind of sounds like a tweeting bird, a draft or an old car with a timing belt slipping.

The sound comes from the central front AC vents and can be reproduced 80% of the time by turning the “relative temperature dials” that are beside the hazard light button to a position where the system is somewhat neutral relative to the overall heating (ie. not blowing much hotter or colder than the other vents) - when either heating or cooling aggressively, and thus blowing hard, there is mostly no whistle, just loud fan noise as can be expected..

This noise when it occurs is very annoying and on longer drives it occurs frequently and as the thermostat switches constantly, varying in duration from 5 seconds to 20 minutes causing me to constantly have to change these “relative temperature dials” to a different position to get it to stop whistling...

VIDEO of the issue (portrait video.. don't judge, it's about the audio!) at:

Your insights are greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
mmstw
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30d

I have that as well. It's not loud enough to be irritating but noticeable every now and then. I had the same problem in an F11, and based on what I read on other forums the reason is that some flaps behind then middle vents do not close tight enough when the temperature setpoint is reached and it is time to throttle the airflow. Allegedly BMW had a fix for that (new flaps?) which in the beginning required taking the whole dash apart and later there was supposed to be a way to fix the issue through the middle vents. I did not have mine fixed. I have assumed that it's a similar problem in the F15.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Amsterdave
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Mine varies in volume, and when it's loud it is sufficiently annoying to get it fixed. Car is going in for service soon.
Your explanation regarding the doors makes sense, since it sounds like a high speed draft, like air is whooshing past a door that doesn't seal properly... (or a car window that doesn't close properly).
Will report back with the dealer's findings, hoping I don't get it back with the dreaded "could not replicate issue"...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:44 AM   #4
Gtz1wickedest
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

I have the same noise as well I notice it disappears completely when I turn off the rear climate control from the back
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
Amsterdave
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtz1wickedest View Post
I have the same noise as well I notice it disappears completely when I turn off the rear climate control from the back
I don't think my kids would enjoy that solution much...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
mmstw
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30d

Did you talk to the dealer about this? What was the verdict?
Appreciate 0