BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
wweaver1991
Rep
Drives: '16 X6 xDrive50i M Sport

Angry X6 engine replacement

My 2016 x6 50i started shuddering on the highway last weekend. I brought it to BMW of Palm Springs and the diagnostic ended up showing no compression in cylinder 7, a dead hole. The estimate is $27k and the CPO warranty ended may 2021.

Car is worth $35k at the point, so there is no way the repair makes sense. I have reached out to BMWUSA already and requested they extend my warranty at some length.

Anyone have experiences like this?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: JB

find a used engine at a junk yard?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #3
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Well, if it were me, I'd either sell it as is, and you might be able to get a decent buck. Or find a used engine and pay an independent mechanic to install. No way would I take the new engine from bmw.
I see several used engines on ebay for 5 6 or 7k.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I bet the BMW NA will cover a significant portion of this. Keep your fingers crossed and write some nice letters about how you’re always pushing the brand. It’ll help.

Selling as is… I’d be surprised if a private party gave you more than 12-15k. Or anyone for that matter. They know the negotiation is not in your favor, sadly.

Stay positive with BMW NA!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #5
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I bet the BMW NA will cover a significant portion of this. Keep your fingers crossed and write some nice letters about how you’re always pushing the brand. It’ll help.

Selling as is… I’d be surprised if a private party gave you more than 12-15k. Or anyone for that matter. They know the negotiation is not in your favor, sadly.

Stay positive with BMW NA!
Why? Used cars are hot. And someone might think, I can buy a motor for 5000 and a couple days work, and have a nice ride.

Last edited by stocktree; 08-27-2021 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 11:05 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

See if BMW NA might be willing to work with you. A good relationship with your SA is crucial here.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
See if BMW NA might be willing to work with you. A good relationship with your SA is crucial here.
I totally agree. You’re a couple of months out of warranty, which I think will inure to your benefit. Hopefully, the dealer will advocate on your behalf as they will also likely gain from BMW covering all or part of the replacement cost.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
P111593.00
      08-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #8
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
OP

Do you know the code for the failure of cylinder 7?

Mine has been shuttering for the last few months. No alert by the computer on any area of my X5 5.0 I'm at 54k miles.

Thank you for any feedback.

Best of luck in BMW NA assisting in your unfortunate diagnosis.

Sad for you as this is your first post in our great community.
      08-30-2021, 02:25 AM   #9
Tonib31
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6

The 50i motors are part of the lawsuit. The motors from bmw are $4200 or less (all depends on the dealership). They pay a certain percentage according to the miles. I just replaced my motor in my 2015 X6 50i. I had all of my fuel injectors replaced under the warranty. 10yr -120k along with the spark plugs. Please make sure it's not your injectors causing the problem.
After replacement, my oil pan was starting to leak. Instead of spending 5-6k fixing the pan, gaskets and possibly valve seals, and burning oil, I replaced the motor 🤷🏽*♀️. It's crucial for 50i owners to know the motors are not as expensive as they were in the past. This has been this way for over a year. Of course, they won't tell you unless you tell them. Any questions, please reach out.
#dontgiveup
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:55 PM   #10
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Wow I had no idea law suit topic.

Dealer replaced all spark plugs at 49k miles. I have 54k currently.

I also have this night pitch whine when you let off throttle, as I stated prior, I think.

Anyway did you have a whine at highway speeds off throttle?

Thanks for info for sure !!
      09-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #11
wweaver1991
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonib31 View Post
The 50i motors are part of the lawsuit. The motors from bmw are $4200 or less (all depends on the dealership). They pay a certain percentage according to the miles. I just replaced my motor in my 2015 X6 50i. I had all of my fuel injectors replaced under the warranty. 10yr -120k along with the spark plugs. Please make sure it's not your injectors causing the problem.
After replacement, my oil pan was starting to leak. Instead of spending 5-6k fixing the pan, gaskets and possibly valve seals, and burning oil, I replaced the motor 🤷🏽*♀️. It's crucial for 50i owners to know the motors are not as expensive as they were in the past. This has been this way for over a year. Of course, they won't tell you unless you tell them. Any questions, please reach out.
#dontgiveup

Is there a link to the lawsuit?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #12
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Why? Used cars are hot. And someone might think, I can buy a motor for 5000 and a couple days work, and have a nice ride.
In theory, that's great.

In practice, not so easy.

Not many 'enthusiasts', aka, the only private party skilled enough to do this is interested in a late model X5.

Your buyers will be Junk yards or Auctions and in order for them to turn a profit on your 5,000 lb lump of iron they're going to need to low ball the hell out of you. Then there are transportation costs...

Rolling chassis are a hard sell to begin with - you can't guarantee the other systems (brakes, A/C, transmission. etc.) work bc it can't be driven. Pile on a late model that needs a lot of computer interface and you have a very narrow buyer segment. The buyer holds all the power here. Hence, you get pennies on the dollar.

These are $30k cars with reasonable miles while running well.

If you get $10k for a rolling chassis you're doing good. Engine $10k. install with new parts... and you're right near $30k.

You think someone would go through this monumental hassle and take on a ton of risk for $5k?

No way.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #13
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I have been in that situation on different BMW car .... very important is a good relationship with service advisor / dealership (as already said here) they can make the case for you. I wont not suggest to fight or push but be as nice as possible as you dont have any leverage on the case. I would also suggest you tell your dealer that you could pay for the labor and ask if BMW can give the engine that way your dealer makes money and the highest cost burden (engine) is taking care by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #14
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I had bought a 2016 40e and it started shuddering at 60k miles and I was out of warranty for a year and over 10k miles out of warranty as well.

No CPO warranty and did not buy from bmw dealer.

Anyway long story short they saw scoring on cylinder one and said I need a new engine with labor was close to 20k dollars.

BMW good willed the engine and after 3 weeks I had a baby back with a brand new engine and a 2 year unlimited mile engine warranty again!

I was happy.

Maybe they will take care of you as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:56 PM   #15
wweaver1991
Rep

HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I had bought a 2016 40e and it started shuddering at 60k miles and I was out of warranty for a year and over 10k miles out of warranty as well.

Anyway long story short they saw scoring on cylinder one and said I need a new engine with labor was close to 20k dollars.

BMW good willed the engine and after 3 weeks I had a baby back with a brand new engine and a 2 year unlimited mile engine warranty again!

I was happy.

Can you explain how you got them to Good will replace it? I am in the middle of this with BMW North America and they said they are declining help here. Any advice would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #16
wweaver1991
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonib31 View Post
#dontgiveup

They are saying my N63T in my 2016 x6 50i is not part of the lawsuit.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #17
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweaver1991 View Post
Quote:

I was happy.

Can you explain how you got them to Good will replace it? I am in the middle of this with BMW North America and they said they are declining help here. Any advice would be appreciated
Hey sorry not
On the forum all the time.

Not sure, I didn't do anything. What I think happened was that their was a few engines that had an issue with bad cylinder rings and that this one finally bit it. So they replaced it to make it right.

It's all a game of luck really. Who approved my case is person A and who worked your case is person B.

Their not all the same people who approve and choose not to approve others so it's just a game of luck i recon.

Because I was out of warranty they technically could choose to do nothing but I've also had 8 BMW products prior so it could have something to do with it. I can't say for sure.

Theirs got to be a reason they chose to not help vs help considering the history with these engines and considering the history did you push them for answers as to why they would deny help?

What's your milage at?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #18
wweaver1991
Rep

Quote:
Hey sorry not

Not sure, I didn't do anything. What I think happened was that their was a few engines that had an issue with bad cylinder rings and that this one finally bit it. So they replaced it to make it right.

It's all a game of luck really. Who approved my case is person A and who worked your case is person B.

Their not all the same people who approve and choose not to approve others so it's just a game of luck i recon.

Because I was out of warranty they technically could choose to do nothing but I've also had 8 BMW products prior so it could have something to do with it. I can't say for sure.

Theirs got to be a reason they chose to not help vs help considering the history with these engines and considering the history did you push them for answers as to why they would deny help?

What's your milage at?
Going to ask, but 67,000 miles. Seems low
To have an engine die.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #19
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
See info about BMW Goodwill below...take note of what others mentioned above about relationship with the dealer. Goodwill is discretionary & not an obligation and is initiated by the dealer. Thus "civility" will probably go further than "acrimony"...you want them on your side and acting out of benevolence...rather than dismissing you and waving you away like an annoying gnat:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-14-2021 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:06 PM   #20
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey sorry not

What's your milage at?
Going to ask, but 67,000 miles. Seems low
To have an engine die.
Yep totally! Probably
Why they good willed it.

The dealer said that the early 40e x5's had bad software that would not prime
The oil and the engine would jump to higher revs while
Cold and over time led
To scoring of the cylinder walls and engine failure.

They fixed it promptly but a few got out.

I was the lucky few.

So new engine with updated rings and new software for cold starts.

Gonna hang on to this one for a while.

But yes as the paper said "are they loyal to the brand and did they own past BMW's"

Have had a Mini Cooper S a cooper S Countryman , z4, 135is, 2 I3, 2 x5's so 8 bmw products since 2002

So that also probably helped. And yes I'm very good friends with my service advisor so as others have said it matters how your relationship with your dealer is.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:19 AM   #21
tlow98
Major General
Rep

My suggestion.

“Hey guys, love the car, love the brand, but this is a heck of a predicament. How can we get past this?”

It’ll work out but it’s going to take some time.
Appreciate 1
BDO277.00
      09-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #22
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
My suggestion.

“Hey guys, love the car, love the brand, but this is a heck of a predicament. How can we get past this?”

It’ll work out but it’s going to take some time.
This. It will take some patience and negotiation, but I don't think BMW will leave you high and dry.
Appreciate 0