Garage List
2015 X5d  [10.00]
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1984 Trans-AM  [10.00]
X5d - Xline or Lux with running boards?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I can't make up my mind.

///M5 | F10 | Black Sapphire Metallic | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Merino Leather | Anthracite Wood Trim | DCT | Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I have the X-Line and love it.

09-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

For what it is worth, I had a '14 X Line with running boards. Inside my garage where I cannot fully open the doors, my left calf hit the running board every time when trying to get out. I can imagine it will not be fun during the wet season.

Also keep in mind, the height of the running board is the same as the floor, not any lower like taller SUVs. As such this is mostly aesthetic with little to no function.

My new order placed two days ago does not have them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
For what it is worth, I had a '14 X Line with running boards. Inside my garage where I cannot fully open the doors, my left calf hit the running board every time when trying to get out. I can imagine it will not be fun during the wet season.

Also keep in mind, the height of the running board is the same as the floor, not any lower like taller SUVs. As such this is mostly aesthetic with little to no function.

My new order placed two days ago does not have them.
I guess you dont do ski or mountain biking trip, it will suck to not have running boards when you are loading and unloading all these gears on the roof rack.

Its one of the sole reasons to go for xline for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
I guess you dont do ski or mountain biking trip, it will suck to not have running boards when you are loading and unloading all these gears on the roof rack.

Its one of the sole reasons to go for xline for me.
That was a presumption, not knowing me.

About 25 days of skiing a year -season pass holder. I stand on the floor. If it is muddy or wet, I put a towel on the floor to stand on. The X5 running boards are exactly at the floor level of the door so there is no height advantage/disadvantage. When I am at the mountain, the skis stay at the ski valet, so I have one unload and one load per trip. And when I get out I won't have mud on the back of my pants.

I have running boards on an LX470, which has the boards lower, making them a useful step for little ones, shorter folks, or when reaching for the cargo box or rack items. Otherwise the floor there makes me at 6'1" taller than need to be to retrieves small items. Still, in the LX, I have to stand on a platform (built in) on the floor so that I can organize the box. Nearly all the utility is for shorter folks or kids on the LX, where the running board truly acts as a step.

For Mt. Biking....I leave from my front door Mt. Tam. Also, I use a rear bike rack in case I take them farther away. Again, for a roof mounted bike rack, the running boards are the same height as floor, though admittedly they allow you to be farther away from the vehicle. A swing out rear rack is the only solution, which allows access to the trunk.

The running boards on this car are purely aesthetic in my view, and an a form of accessorizing. They are an improvement over the prior generation (I have them on a E70 loaner now), which protrude out even more than the boards on the F15.

There is nothing wrong with accessorizing. People add stickers, components that are supposedly aerodynamic, change muffler tips,....it is all individual taste and all good. Just little to no function.

There is a heavily option, $76k MSRP X Line 30d, with less than 500 miles at my dealer now -the one I returned. If anyone is interested in it, they will likely get a better deal than new, new. Mineral Silver/ Mocha Napa Design Package, Comfort Seats, ACC, Winter Package, Driver Assist +HUD, space saver spare, HK audio, Premium PKG, roof rack bars, .... The one coming won't have/need the running boards, and has Driver Asst. Plus in addition. PM me if in Nor Cal and want the dealer name, anyone.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-06-2014 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: typos...+ added last paragraph.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:20 AM   #6
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Quote:
That was a presumption, not knowing me.

About 25 days of skiing a year -season pass holder. I stand on the floor. If it is muddy or wet, I put a towel on the floor to stand on. The X5 running boards are exactly at the floor level of the door so there is no height advantage/disadvantage. When I am at the mountain, the skis stay at the ski valet, so I have one unload and one load per trip. And when I get out I won't have mud on the back of my pants.

I have running boards on an LX470, which has the boards lower, making them a useful step for little ones, shorter folks, or when reaching for the cargo box or rack items. Otherwise the floor there makes me at 6'1" taller than need to be to retrieves small items. Still, in the LX, I have to stand on a platform (built in) on the floor so that I can organize the box. Nearly all the utility is for shorter folks or kids on the LX, where the running board truly acts as a step.

For Mt. Biking....I leave from my front door Mt. Tam. Also, I use a rear bike rack in case I take them farther away. Again, for a roof mounted bike rack, the running boards are the same height as floor, though admittedly they allow you to be farther away from the vehicle. A swing out rear rack is the only solution, which allows access to the trunk.

The running boards on this car are purely aesthetic in my view, and an a form of accessorizing. They are an improvement over the prior generation (I have them on a E70 loaner now), which protrude out even more than the boards on the F15.

There is nothing wrong with accessorizing. People add stickers, components that are supposedly aerodynamic, change muffler tips,....it is all individual taste and all good. Just little to no function.

There is a heavily option, $76k MSRP X Line 30d, with less than 500 miles at my dealer now -the one I returned. If anyone is interested in it, they will likely get a better deal than new, new. Mineral Silver/ Mocha Napa Design Package, Comfort Seats, ACC, Winter Package, Driver Assist +HUD, space saver spare, HK audio, Premium PKG, roof rack bars, .... The one coming won't have/need the running boards, and has Driver Asst. Plus in addition. PM me if in Nor Cal and want the dealer name, anyone.

I am not sure about you but i prefer not to get the dirty snowboard boots in my cabin when loading and unloading the gears. Throwing towels on the floor is just an extra step I don't want to be bothered with on the mountain. It gets tiring after a while, not to mention sometimes it's faster to load with multiple people.

It was a presumption, hence the word guess. =)

The running board functions exactly like it's supposed to, not just for show. Too bad you don't find the use for it. I personally prefer the look of non step side skirt of M sport package.

Last edited by cy07; 09-06-2014 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotrenegade View Post
I can't make up my mind.
...I don't ski (was born and raised in the Caribbean) tried it once in undergrad and I still have pain that reminds me of that trip... You're from SC (South Carolina? from your sig) so skiing references my not interest you as much.
Running boards are a necessity if you have young/ growing children... That's why I got mine... And love them!! A buddy of mine has an e70' without them and w his kids, the trim looks really bad. And, on the F15, they are way less intrusive than those on my old the e70, so less dirt on my pants.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

FWIW I chose the running boards as an option on my Luxury Line. My reason was primarily aesthetic. Since the vehicle ordered is dark colored (Sparkling Brown) with satin roof rails we thought the satin of the running boards would be a nice accent when looking at the vehicle from the side. They may prove to be functional in some manner as well. TBD!

We pick it up via PCD next week so only then will I be able to say if it accomplished what we hoped.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
robotrenegade
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2015 X5d  [10.00]
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1984 Trans-AM  [10.00]
Minus the running boards because you can delete them. What look do you like? I ordered dark graphite.

///M5 | F10 | Black Sapphire Metallic | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Merino Leather | Anthracite Wood Trim | DCT | Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure about you but i prefer not to get the dirty snowboard boots in my cabin when loading and unloading the gears. ....
That is why we have the only two SUVs that solve the boot issue. Both the LX 470 and X5 are the only two with split tailgates. We take turns sitting on the tailgate and taking boots off (240 lbs limit). And, the towel on the floor when I climb up.

Quote:
....I personally prefer the look of non step side skirt of M sport package
And my replacement X5 is the M Sport. And now we have something in common.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That is why we have the only two SUVs that solve the boot issue. Both the LX 470 and X5 are the only two with split tailgates. We take turns sitting on the tailgate and taking boots off (240 lbs limit). And, the towel on the floor when I climb up.

And my replacement X5 is the M Sport. And now we have something in common.
Matt, I don't remember who posted this, but the limit for the X5 tailgate is 500 lbs.

Also, I like my running boards...they may provide some function and may be partly for aesthetics as well. I use them a lot when sitting in my seat and changing into soccer or basketball shoes. I know how you feel about the calf area getting hit. I've just adapted and learned to put more of my weight onto the left portion of my driver seat before getting out and then stepping over the running board. I don't know how useful they'll be, but winter is coming soon, so that will be the best time to test them . I'm sure they'll help when I need to kick off the snow from my feet. Now, I'm really glad I also got the WeatherTech floor mats/liners (not sure why people differentiate them since they're the same thing supposedly).
      09-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Matt, I don't remember who posted this, but the limit for the X5 tailgate is 500 lbs. .....

You are Correct. My mistake...I remembered the KG figure in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
Captain Douchebag
Rep
Drives: none

"The open tailgate can be loaded with up to
550 lbs/250 kg."

Page 43 of the owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
"The open tailgate can be loaded with up to
550 lbs/250 kg."

Page 43 of the owners manual.
That's what it was, and I remember you posted this info in the other thread. Thanks for the correction .
      09-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Easier to get in and out without Running Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Matt, I don't remember who posted this, but the limit for the X5 tailgate is 500 lbs.

Also, I like my running boards...they may provide some function and may be partly for aesthetics as well. I use them a lot when sitting in my seat and changing into soccer or basketball shoes. I know how you feel about the calf area getting hit. I've just adapted and learned to put more of my weight onto the left portion of my driver seat before getting out and then stepping over the running board. I don't know how useful they'll be, but winter is coming soon, so that will be the best time to test them . I'm sure they'll help when I need to kick off the snow from my feet. Now, I'm really glad I also got the WeatherTech floor mats/liners (not sure why people differentiate them since they're the same thing supposedly).
My wife is handicapped and has difficulty with steps. I seems to me that getting in and out without having to step around the running boards will make it easier to get in and out. I probably should not get them for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
My wife is handicapped and has difficulty with steps. I seems to me that getting in and out without having to step around the running boards will make it easier to get in and out. I probably should not get them for that reason.
Yes, I can imagine they would be quite annoying for her, unless she slowly steps onto them first and then steps down. I'm 6' tall so for me to just get straight out is my habit so I do it the way I mentioned.
      09-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
FWIW I chose the running boards as an option on my Luxury Line. My reason was primarily aesthetic. Since the vehicle ordered is dark colored (Sparkling Brown) with satin roof rails we thought the satin of the running boards would be a nice accent when looking at the vehicle from the side. They may prove to be functional in some manner as well. TBD!

We pick it up via PCD next week so only then will I be able to say if it accomplished what we hoped.
I think the running board looks really good on our Luxury Line and that was the primary reason for getting them.

As to functionality, my wife likes having them because she is short (5' 2") and it helps her. I'm not convinced. If it was just me I don't think I would have gotten the running boards. My wife thinks it was a great addition and thinks I'm crazy (not the first time she has reached that conclusion).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #18
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't make up my mind.
Just curious if you have reached a decision?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #19
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Just curious if you have reached a decision?
That fast? I don't think so. It's just been 9 days. I have been struggling to make up my mind for over 2 weeks, not that it's just running boards but it's not that easy.

Quote:
I can't make up my mind.
It all depends on what color vehicle you are getting?
If you really love imperial blue (like I do) and find that the black rims don't go well with the whole body color, then I would suggest getting lux+running boards. If you are getting something like white or light silver, or pretty much any other color then you are OK either way. Keep in mind, once you add $400 running boards, then you are simply paying $500 more for xLine just to get unpainted arches and more chrome on front and rear. Is it worth $500? If you like to looks, of course. Personally I love the rear and front of xLine, and the added chrome around the fin, but then I love those straight lines of chrome on luxury line, which is absent on xLine.

Oh, if you are getting 20", then luxury line will also give you painted flares, similar to M Sport look, without the super-busy front end.

PS: I like the xline because it reminds me of E70, and luxury line reminds me of benz or lexus although they don't have arches.

Last edited by hyde; 09-13-2014 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #20
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
I think the running board looks really good on our Luxury Line and that was the primary reason for getting them.

As to functionality, my wife likes having them because she is short (5' 2") and it helps her. I'm not convinced. If it was just me I don't think I would have gotten the running boards. My wife thinks it was a great addition and thinks I'm crazy (not the first time she has reached that conclusion).
Interesting about your wife. My wife is 'vertically challenged' @ 5' and I did have to have running boards on my E70 SE but she has no problem getting in/out of the M Sport with no boards.
Could it be that the 20" ers make the car sit lower on the road or is it that my wife just loves my car

Last edited by Baunton; 09-14-2014 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:06 AM   #21
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

How about no-line?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #22
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Two more observations about the running boards.

I was washing my X5 yesterday for the first time and the running boards proved to be very valuable when doing the roof.

The second is that I think they will be a challenge to keep clean over time. It is difficult to get between the "pads".
Appreciate 0