01-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #45
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsbm View Post
I had my detailing done by Bradley, near Reading. Concours detailing. he is a master at this and will give you a good quote to do the outside, inside, glass and wheels. Two really important things for you guys still waiting for your car. 1. Ask the dealer to NOT touch the car, even wash it, just remove the plastic protection. If the dealer touches it it just adds swirl marks and adds to the correction time. 2. When you have it detailed its important to get the right kit, pre-wash snow foam, shampoo and drying towels.

https://www.facebook.com/Concoursdetailing1/?fref=ts
As my BMW dealer is in Reading I have done a search for detailers in the area and his name came up. Did you have the Crystal Serum detail done?
Do you mind saying how much you paid?
I've had a quote of shy under £1k from an alternative detailer which is a lot of money IMO but maybe the norm?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #46
philsbm
Rep
Drives: X5 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
As my BMW dealer is in Reading I have done a search for detailers in the area and his name came up. Did you have the Crystal Serum detail done?
Do you mind saying how much you paid?
I've had a quote of shy under £1k from an alternative detailer which is a lot of money IMO but maybe the norm?
He is worth speaking to you will be looking at £800-£1000, depending what you get. Bradley will give you good advice and this stuff will make cleaning very easy so if you keep the car say 3 years its worth it, in my view.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #47
philsbm
Rep

Quote:
He is worth speaking to you will be looking at £800-£1000, depending what you get. Bradley will give you good advice and this stuff will make cleaning very easy so if you keep the car say 3 years its worth it, in my view.
If you look at his Facebook page and scroll down, you will see my Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #48
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you look at his Facebook page and scroll down, you will see my Space Grey
Cheers philsbm.
I don't do Facebook however will call him next week.
The more I think about it the more I think its got to be done bearing in mind the price I'm paying for the car and want to hold onto it for 3-5 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #49
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Quote:
Cheers philsbm.
I don't do Facebook however will call him next week.
The more I think about it the more I think its got to be done bearing in mind the price I'm paying for the car and want to hold onto it for 3-5 years.
2 years ago I had my X6 done at I think around £650. My X6 is metallic black and the cost of the detailing is ONLY worth it if you are prepared to ONLY wash your car the correct way and to NEVER use a car wash or one of the outfits that operate outside of DIY and supermarkets. The correct way to wash: pressure wash, snow foam, pressure wash, 2 bucket car shampoo using lambswool mitts, pressure wash, rinse, dab dry with several cloths and even use a large dryer. Even doing this my X6 still has some minor swirls. The easiest option is to go space grey and have dealer prep it and then just wash it any way. Then depending on where you sell it you may or may not have to have it detail corrected at around £750 or more likely the dealer won't care about swirls.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #50
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

For the interior I only ever use a squiffer (cheap duster on a handle). The trim is a scratch magnet if you as much touch it. The screens I treat with extreme caution to avoid any marking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #51
philsbm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
2 years ago I had my X6 done at I think around £650. My X6 is metallic black and the cost of the detailing is ONLY worth it if you are prepared to ONLY wash your car the correct way and to NEVER use a car wash or one of the outfits that operate outside of DIY and supermarkets. The correct way to wash: pressure wash, snow foam, pressure wash, 2 bucket car shampoo using lambswool mitts, pressure wash, rinse, dab dry with several cloths and even use a large dryer. Even doing this my X6 still has some minor swirls. The easiest option is to go space grey and have dealer prep it and then just wash it any way. Then depending on where you sell it you may or may not have to have it detail corrected at around £750 or more likely the dealer won't care about swirls.

Absolutely spot on that man.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #52
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

My X5 is going to see farm and other mud/gravel tracks on a very regular basis, and will get washed by the cheap/quick methods, no fancy detailing/OCD washing techniques for me, hence with I've ordered a SE with all-season tyres, rather than a MSport, and why I've ordered it in Atlas Cedar and not a dark colour.

01-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #53
S114MON
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M50d

Quote:
I had my detailing done by Bradley, near Reading. Concours detailing. he is a master at this and will give you a good quote to do the outside, inside, glass and wheels. Two really important things for you guys still waiting for your car. 1. Ask the dealer to NOT touch the car, even wash it, just remove the plastic protection. If the dealer touches it it just adds swirl marks and adds to the correction time. 2. When you have it detailed its important to get the right kit, pre-wash snow foam, shampoo and drying towels.

https://www.facebook.com/Concoursdetailing1/?fref=ts
Cheers - useful tips!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #54
S114MON
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak83 View Post
I just got a quote for black Dakota knee bars from
Cotswold @ £331 for the pair. A bit more than I thought
Hmm Fair bit more than I thought too.
Think there's a forum member called RGSport(??) who has an online shop on here / via here... digging time when I get chance
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #55
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by S114MON View Post
Quote:
I just got a quote for black Dakota knee bars from
Cotswold @ £331 for the pair. A bit more than I thought
Hmm Fair bit more than I thought too.
Think there's a forum member called RGSport(??) who has an online shop on here / via here... digging time when I get chance
He's US based though, I had a conversion with him last year.

If we bought from him (which I wouldn't mind) we'd get hit on the exchange rate then again with import duty.

We need to buy from Europe somewhere - I may ask a colleague in South Africa to get a price too...
      01-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #56
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Does anybody know if there is a BMW web site where I can review progress of the production and delivery dates of my vehicle by entering my order number.
I doubt that production has commenced yet (mid march delivery) but would be nice to see how things are progressing and monitoring the Atlantic crossing.
Thanks,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #57
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Does anybody know if there is a BMW web site where I can review progress of the production and delivery dates of my vehicle by entering my order number.
I doubt that production has commenced yet (mid march delivery) but would be nice to see how things are progressing and monitoring the Atlantic crossing.
Thanks,
Greg
Did your dealer not set you up with this..?

I got text/email link setup by Vines that informs me of the change in status at each stage. Had a txt today saying status about to change and last chance to change spec., as it will locked for production soon. From memory that will be change from Status 1100 to 1200.
      01-15-2017, 03:08 AM   #58
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Did your dealer not set you up with this..?

I got text/email link setup by Vines that informs me of the change in status at each stage. Had a txt today saying status about to change and last chance to change spec., as it will locked for production soon. From memory that will be change from Status 1100 to 1200.
Nope!
I will question this with the dealership.
Thanks GeeRam
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #59
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

There isn't a European 'system' as the order process is managed through a very dated AS400 interface.

Most decent dealers (mine included) however have their own systems to text/email buyers with updates. After all it save then taking calls from you every week!!
      01-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #60
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

I don't get updates from my dealer so I use the chat function on the bmw U.K. website and speak to a genius
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #61
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't get updates from my dealer so I use the chat function on the bmw U.K. website and speak to a genius
Yes, this is the best way if dealer hasn't setup anything.
      02-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #62
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=philsbm;21081699]I had my detailing done by Bradley, near Reading. Concours detailing. he is a master at this and will give you a good quote to do the outside, inside, glass and wheels. Two really important things for you guys still waiting for your car. 1. Ask the dealer to NOT touch the car, even wash it, just remove the plastic protection. If the dealer touches it it just adds swirl marks and adds to the correction time. 2. When you have it detailed its important to get the right kit, pre-wash snow foam, shampoo and drying towels.

I've booked Concours Detailing for the paint protection prior to pick up from dealership in March. One point Bradley mentioned that I'm struggling to decide on, was which product to use Kamikaze or G-techniq.
Any one have experience in either product they can recommend?
      02-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #63
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi
My first posting... please be gentle! I've just ordered an UK M50d. Spec approaching lockdown soon. I appreciate the M50d might not be available in the US, but for anyone that can help...

I'm interested to hear from others with M50d's in terms of driving and ownership experiences particularly compared to X5 E70 30d, X3 30d, both of which I've had in the past.

I've had only short experiences in an M50d so anything on the following points would also be of interest:

Driving / handling compared to a F15 30d or an X3 30d

MPG (ideally UK roads if possible)

Any other comments on the ownership of M50d

Anyone more widely, anyone using Gtechniq paint protection on their F15 - does the wheel, glass, leather protection really work?

I'm also interested in the X5M / X6 knee pads as an addition to the interior trim. I'm looking into that as an aftermarket purchase right now.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi S114MON,
Have you received you motor yet? Must be close to the delivery date
      02-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #64
S114MON
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi S114MON,
Have you received you motor yet? Must be close to the delivery date
Hi,
hoping for March 5th delivery
Booked in for Gtechniq detailing and protection mid March
Comparison sites for insurance - Hastings Direct seems cheapest for me via them, but not sure if they would be for an existing customer... usual lack of loyalty story I guess.
Tracker Locate seems best if you are going there, but not sure how I would feel about having a car back after it had been recovered and the 3 yr cost doesn't seem to lower the premiums enough.

Not long now!

You?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #65
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,
hoping for March 5th delivery
Booked in for Gtechniq detailing and protection mid March
Comparison sites for insurance - Hastings Direct seems cheapest for me via them, but not sure if they would be for an existing customer... usual lack of loyalty story I guess.
Tracker Locate seems best if you are going there, but not sure how I would feel about having a car back after it had been recovered and the 3 yr cost doesn't seem to lower the premiums enough.

Not long now!

You?
Hasting Direct seem not to want to quote me - no reason given?
Mine is on the boat crossing the pond (I believe) production completed and left factory 15th Feb. So also not long to go, probably mid march?
I'm booked in with a professional detailer who will be doing the works at the dealership prior to pick up.
Must get together with a meet in the Spring as there are a lot of new owners in the South East also expecting in March prior to 1st April (VED price hike)
      02-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #66
S114MON
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hasting Direct seem not to want to quote me - no reason given?
Mine is on the boat crossing the pond (I believe) production completed and left factory 15th Feb. So also not long to go, probably mid march?
I'm booked in with a professional detailer who will be doing the works at the dealership prior to pick up.
Must get together with a meet in the Spring as there are a lot of new owners in the South East also expecting in March prior to 1st April (VED price hike)
You're 12 days behind me (in theory!)
I'll let you know if my delivery date shifts, but should be OK before those (widely broadcast and we're acting in the consumer's best interests) VED changes...

Post pics when it arrives
Appreciate 0