BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Vinyl Wrap

I'm about to embark on a journey of vinyl wrapping a few things on the new car. I've already done the window trim and the chrome surrounding the front grille. Just ordered the gloss black for the roof and plan to do it this weekend.

Curious to hear anyone's experience(s) with vinyl wrap. Having someone else do yours, doing your own, horror stories, tricks/tips, photos of your work or what you have had done, etc.

On my E93 I wrapped the chrome window trim, the headlights and tail lights with smoke tint and all the wood trim bits on the interior myself. It was the first time I had ever used vinyl. As badly as I hate to say it, the E93 was my practice car for learning vinyl. As with any novice, there were mistakes made multiple panels that were wrapped several times.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
relentlessone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340i xDrive

I posted some tips in the E91 thread from my roof wrap, but most of them should apply to all models.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...postcount=3144

Also check out the CK Wraps videos on YouTube, he gives very detailed instructions on wrapping just about anything on your car, and also gives tips and tricks for roof wrapping specifically.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
ItsGary1456.50
      05-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessone View Post
I posted some tips in the E91 thread from my roof wrap, but most of them should apply to all models.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...postcount=3144

Also check out the CK Wraps videos on YouTube, he gives very detailed instructions on wrapping just about anything on your car, and also gives tips and tricks for roof wrapping specifically.
Appreciate that! I've seen quite a few of his videos. I lucked out and found one of the exact car that I'm doing. Unfortunately, the only thing he didn't do was wrap the inside of the roof where the sunroof recesses. I'd prefer to have that entire area black as well. I'll probably wrap the inside separately after I do the top, just trying to decide if I want to have the seem in the front or the back.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
relentlessone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Appreciate that! I've seen quite a few of his videos. I lucked out and found one of the exact car that I'm doing. Unfortunately, the only thing he didn't do was wrap the inside of the roof where the sunroof recesses. I'd prefer to have that entire area black as well. I'll probably wrap the inside separately after I do the top, just trying to decide if I want to have the seem in the front or the back.
Which car are you wrapping the roof on? Got a picture of the recess?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      05-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I wrapped my interior trim and would love to wrap my whole exterior myself if I had a garage and a second car to drive during the process. It just takes practice and patience. The most annoying part is just taking apart the car.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234263
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      05-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #6
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Was just going to advise to watch CKwraps, he is the man. I have watched tons of his videos, makes me a little more confident knowing some of his tips and tricks for when I wrap(try) mine
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      05-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i used some of these when i did a quick wrap job in a small area on my wife's car. make sure you have good scissors and a heat gun or blow drier.
https://www.amazon.com/Bondo-357-Pla...gateway&sr=8-3
      05-21-2019, 12:15 AM   #8
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

We got a very good DIY section here, there are plenty of threads with tips and pictures how to wrap and avoid some mistakes...

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      05-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wrapping the roof on the new Lexus (IS350 F). Here are shots of what I've already wrapped on it.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

Unsure why the picture quality is so terrible.
Attached Images

Last edited by King Rudi; 05-21-2019 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
shay2nak1070.00
      05-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll get a picture posted up of the area I'm talking about in a bit. With plenty of heat I should be able to get it to form to the area that I need it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I wrapped my interior trim and would love to wrap my whole exterior myself if I had a garage and a second car to drive during the process. It just takes practice and patience. The most annoying part is just taking apart the car.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234263
That turned out great Tara. I've got some shots somewhere of my E93 trim I wrapped in matte black. Right before I sold the car, I noticed that the edges of the vents started coming apart. I'm thinking I needed more relief cuts and heat on the inside edges. Oh well, it was my first wrap job and the car is gone now so I don't have to look at it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i used some of these when i did a quick wrap job in a small area on my wife's car. make sure you have good scissors and a heat gun or blow drier.
https://www.amazon.com/Bondo-357-Pla...gateway&sr=8-3
Appreciate ya. Yeah, I've got the tool thing covered. I have a ton of magnetic felt tip squeegees, knives (I use a surgical scalpel with an 11 blade), magnets, trim and panel removal tools. I used to install car audio and detailed cars on the side. I've still got tools that I haven't used for the first time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Was just going to advise to watch CKwraps, he is the man. I have watched tons of his videos, makes me a little more confident knowing some of his tips and tricks for when I wrap(try) mine
I have to say I was a little skeptical of his work on the first video I watched of his on wrapping a shark fin antenna by having a seem in it. After watching more of his videos, he is definitely a master at his craft. I've learned a ton by watching his channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
We got a very good DIY section here, there are plenty of threads with tips and pictures how to wrap and avoid some mistakes...
Don't know why I didn't look there first. Thank you!

Last edited by King Rudi; 05-21-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12503.00
      05-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lol sounds like you know exactly what you're doing.
      05-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Lol sounds like you know exactly what you're doing.
I might be slightly more skilled than I let on.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      05-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Wrapped the black part of my Abarth. Took a couple weekends and got better as it went along. Few challenges for mine, I had cut lines on the hood, which is a string you place down and wrap over. Pulling the string for an clean cut took a few trial runs...curves on the hood also created a challenge.

Best advice. Start middle out and don't assume a bubble will go away. You may think it's worked out, but comes back in the sun.you need to lift, heat and glass to get them out properly.

Love how it turned out...

Also wrapped my tail lights. Took a few tries, but it was the same concept as the full vinyl. I've sincere done these in gloss...
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
GERMAN M34176.50
shay2nak1070.00
      05-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Don't let people tell you it's hard
Taking your time and lots a patients is the key
      05-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #15
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Wrapped the black part of my Abarth. Took a couple weekends and got better as it went along. Few challenges for mine, I had cut lines on the hood, which is a string you place down and wrap over. Pulling the string for an clean cut took a few trial runs...curves on the hood also created a challenge.

Best advice. Start middle out and don't assume a bubble will go away. You may think it's worked out, but comes back in the sun.you need to lift, heat and glass to get them out properly.

Love how it turned out...
[Img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~yuki//Wrap6.jpg[/img]

Also wrapped my tail lights. Took a few tries, but it was the same concept as the full vinyl. I've sincere done these in gloss...
[Img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~bchestnut//Blacked5.jpg[/img]
That looks great! I've got all the tools ready to go. I'll be using the knifeless tape on the roof as the rain channels do not have molding to tuck into. Also have a few curves on the car I want to do inlays on to accentuate the curves and lines of the car but I'm having trouble finding the color I want to do them in. The car is nebula space gray and I want to go a shade darker in matte so it isn't quite so obvious but just a little subtle something extra.

I'll be doing my headlights and tails in the next month or so also. I'll post pics as I make progress. Also considering wrapping the emblems on the trunk this weekend. the Lexus emblem won't be so bad but the IS350 badges are going to be a bitch. Considering debadging but I really don't want to on this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Don't let people tell you it's hard
Taking your time and lots a patients is the key
Patience, prep and having the right tools are key. I'm looking forward to spending the entire day in the garage with some loud music and adult beverages. Funny at the things that excite me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #17
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
That looks great! I've got all the tools ready to go. I'll be using the knifeless tape on the roof as the rain channels do not have molding to tuck into.
Run a few scrap pieces on the car with the tape underneath. There's a way to pull it so the edge doesn't ripple. Learn this before doing it on your final product.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      05-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
I might be slightly more skilled than I let on.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #19
DMAX745i
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E65, F01, F01, now G12

Dis some carbon wrap on a few pieces on my car. Front lip, mirrors and spoiler are real carbon, rest I wrapped myself. Key to a long lasting wrap job is to make sure surfaces are degreased and free from any waxes to ensure proper bond. Know the limits of material your working with to avoid stretch marks and heat rash. 3m knifeless tape will be your best friend.
      05-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #20
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Wrapping parts is a less-expensive, but less-robust way of changing the look as compared to applying paint.
      05-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #21
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update:

Saturday morning we started aroumd 9:30 a.m. Way too hot and humid of a day for us to attempt this feat in a non-temperature regulated environment. Prepped the area with 70% alcohol, laid down the knifeless tape, taped all surrounding areas to the roof, successfully removed shark fin antenna in 10 minutes (no small feat, we got lucky). First was to wrap the shark fin as I expected it to be a PITA. One piece wrap, no seams, nailed it on the second try. It turned out perfect! Next up was to lay down the vinyl and glass it out. Not so successful. We used Vvivid vinyl as I wanted something with a little more thickness to it than 3M or Avery. I wanted it to withstand the elements, not just look pretty. After several hours of working the vinyl, we finally got it laid down smoothly. We ended up with a few small bubbles and crease marks from where we had to lift the vinyl then lay it back down using the heat gun and a squeegee; but after letting it soak up the sun in the driveway the next day, it turned out great. I'll upload some pictures as soon as work slows down a little.

Last edited by King Rudi; 05-29-2019 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #22
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Pictiures - before & during install
Attached Images

Appreciate 0