BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
surfcali
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Mineral White

Could someone please take a picture of the roof rack mounting positions on the roof rail for me? I tried googling but not getting the results I need.

I wrapped my roof rails in gloss black vinyl bc I thought the BMW OEM roof rack was adjustable along the rails - like my past SUV, but looks like there are specific mounting points I'll have to cut out.

***edit my bad, seller sent me the wrong racks which confused the shit out of me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcali View Post
Could someone please take a picture of the roof rack mounting positions on the roof rail for me? I tried googling but not getting the results I need.

I wrapped my roof rails in gloss black vinyl bc I thought the BMW OEM roof rack was adjustable along the rails - like my past SUV, but looks like there are specific mounting points I'll have to cut out.
I installed OEM BMW Roof Rack and to be honest I didn't even thought that there are specific locations. When I was installing I could move Roof Rack freely were I wanted. Nothing prevents you doing so. After you are done chosing position you like - just tighten knobs until you hear click - that's all. I can untighten knobs and move Roof Rack forward or backwards as I please. Tho I also heard something about specific positions - but I suspect they are just stickers that you put yourself to help you quickly find proper position - but it's only if you want to have same position, nothing prevents you to slide them along rails
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
surfcali
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks, I just realized the reason I couldn't figure it out is because the seller sent me the wrong racks - for BMWs without roof rail.... terrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcali View Post
thanks, I just realized the reason I couldn't figure it out is because the seller sent me the wrong racks - for BMWs without roof rail.... terrible.
This is where I bought mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't usually buy parts on aamzon, but this is a rare exception - it's OEM BMW part and I can confirm it is indeed so. $217 + free shipping - can't beat that
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
surfcali
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Same they shipped me the wrong ones

2011 e92 335i M-Sport | Cobb V3 | Alpina Flash | Injen Intake | PE Mod | Mishimoto FMIC | ER Chargepipe | ST Coilovers | 19" BBS CH-R | Arkym Front Lip | MP Style Trunk Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

The instructions clearly point out the spots to install them, they even give you stickers to place in the door jam areas for when you want to put them back on (so you don't have to measure each time). My guess this is because of the large sunroof so there are structurally specific spots that can take extra weight.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-X5 View Post
The instructions clearly point out the spots to install them, they even give you stickers to place in the door jam areas for when you want to put them back on (so you don't have to measure each time). My guess this is because of the large sunroof so there are structurally specific spots that can take extra weight.
Yes, you are right. I still installed it without following manual 100% - I never carry significant loads anyway - it's more for stuff like ski equipment that is pain to put into cabin (no more than 15-20 lbs anyway) so I don't think it matters for me, but if you are carrying max load like 80 lbs or 100 lbs - then yes, definitely need to follow those instructions
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I saw these advertised. I wasn't sure if they are factory OEM. A BMW dealer back east is selling them for $219.
Appreciate 0