BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #1
va335i
Private
18
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: F85 X5 M
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gloucester va

iTrader: (0)

Band and Olufsen carplay is weak

I have very noticeable difference in sound (power, loudness) between the Sirus XM or Radio vs. using bluetooth apple carplay. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else notices a difference. Not sure if it is the Phone on the B&O.
I did not have this issue in my last X5 with Harmon. At first I was really worried the B&O was alot weaker than the HK I had in my 2012. Then I happened turn to Sirus radio the other day and the system is noticeably much more powerful with Sirus or regular radio.

So anyone else experience this? Thanks
__________________
2007 335i sport sedan fully loaded, fmc, downpipes, PTF custom tune. Sold
2012 X5 50i fully loaded. ESS TUNE
2017 X5 M Donington Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
pennsiveguy
Shows initiative whenever directed to do so
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have the same issue in my F15 with the B&O. Ditto for bluetooth audio from my phone and screen mirroring. Maybe since they don't have control of the device's output level, they err on the side of caution when setting the gain level for such things...? Just a guess.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Rousch 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
daytonaviolet
Major
daytonaviolet's Avatar
Philippines
708
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2017 F85 X5M
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

have you tried turning off the screen mirroring and only use the carplay option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I have the same issue in my F15 with the B&O. Ditto for bluetooth audio from my phone and screen mirroring. Maybe since they don't have control of the device's output level, they err on the side of caution when setting the gain level for such things...? Just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
va335i
Private
18
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: F85 X5 M
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gloucester va

iTrader: (0)

Not that I know of. Do you mean if I use carplay, but have the BMW menu screen up? Thanks
__________________
2007 335i sport sedan fully loaded, fmc, downpipes, PTF custom tune. Sold
2012 X5 50i fully loaded. ESS TUNE
2017 X5 M Donington Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
daytonaviolet
Major
daytonaviolet's Avatar
Philippines
708
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2017 F85 X5M
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by va335i View Post
Not that I know of. Do you mean if I use carplay, but have the BMW menu screen up? Thanks
Do you have an iphone and using the mirror option?

Last edited by daytonaviolet; 09-11-2019 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
va335i
Private
18
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: F85 X5 M
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gloucester va

iTrader: (0)

Sorry, not trying to seem dumb.

I connect my Iphone to car via Carplay. It ask for me to turn on wifi if I have it turned off when I get in to connect.
__________________
2007 335i sport sedan fully loaded, fmc, downpipes, PTF custom tune. Sold
2012 X5 50i fully loaded. ESS TUNE
2017 X5 M Donington Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
daytonaviolet
Major
daytonaviolet's Avatar
Philippines
708
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2017 F85 X5M
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

in carplay mode, you can also toggle from FM, Sirus and music from your iphone. so at this point, your hearing volume issues ? in my car, the volume sounds the same as i toggle through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by va335i View Post
Sorry, not trying to seem dumb.

I connect my Iphone to car via Carplay. It ask for me to turn on wifi if I have it turned off when I get in to connect.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
va335i
Private
18
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: F85 X5 M
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gloucester va

iTrader: (0)

FM and sirus are much louder than Pandora/prime music when I toggle while keeping Carplay on the screen. I have made sure that system says Bang and Olufsen and not Speach mode as well.
__________________
2007 335i sport sedan fully loaded, fmc, downpipes, PTF custom tune. Sold
2012 X5 50i fully loaded. ESS TUNE
2017 X5 M Donington Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
daytonaviolet
Major
daytonaviolet's Avatar
Philippines
708
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2017 F85 X5M
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

i'm guessing pandora/prime is coming from your iphone while in carplay mode wifi/bt mode. strange i'm not seeing these volume issues on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by va335i View Post
FM and sirus are much louder than Pandora/prime music when I toggle while keeping Carplay on the screen. I have made sure that system says Bang and Olufsen and not Speach mode as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #10
Mitch P.
Private
3
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: '11M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Camas, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by va335i View Post
I have very noticeable difference in sound (power, loudness) between the Sirus XM or Radio vs. using bluetooth apple carplay. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else notices a difference. Not sure if it is the Phone on the B&O.
I did not have this issue in my last X5 with Harmon. At first I was really worried the B&O was alot weaker than the HK I had in my 2012. Then I happened turn to Sirus radio the other day and the system is noticeably much more powerful with Sirus or regular radio.

So anyone else experience this? Thanks
Have you tried to raise volume up on your iPhone while in this mode?
__________________
Mitchell Phillipi, CCA#189329
'11M3 ZCP, '11X5d
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
daytonaviolet
Major
daytonaviolet's Avatar
Philippines
708
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2017 F85 X5M
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P. View Post
Have you tried to raise volume up on your iPhone while in this mode?
this is usually the case when connected outside of carplay. but in carplay mode, the volume button has no effect on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 06:33 AM   #12
va335i
Private
18
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: F85 X5 M
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gloucester va

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
i'm guessing pandora/prime is coming from your iphone while in carplay mode wifi/bt mode. strange i'm not seeing these volume issues on my car.

What model of Iphone do you have? Yours not having this issue leads me to believe that the problem is my Phone. Thanks
__________________
2007 335i sport sedan fully loaded, fmc, downpipes, PTF custom tune. Sold
2012 X5 50i fully loaded. ESS TUNE
2017 X5 M Donington Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #13
pachieh
First Lieutenant
163
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: '17 X5M
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

I have the same problem in my 2017, have an iPhone X (but will have an 11 pro soon). It's annoying, but it wasn't always like this. It used to play a lot louder. My guess is that a software update either on iDrive or iOS some point in the last year did it...

My bigger annoyance is that Bluetooth connections for me at least can be intermittent. It'll hiccup and then keep playing music. It's not a LTE issue. Plus Bluetooth compresses music quality more which negates having a kickass B&O system. I wish BMW would enable CarPlay via USB like my wife's minivan. Sound quality is MUCH better via USB.
__________________
2017 X5M, Donnington Grey, Aragon Brown
Eisenmann Pro, Dinan Intake, RaceChip GTS Black
21" Vossen VFS-1 on Michelin PSS
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #14
pennsiveguy
Shows initiative whenever directed to do so
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
have you tried turning off the screen mirroring and only use the carplay option?
I haven't tried that. I only use CarPlay when my GF is riding shotgun and wants to use it, which is rare. I'm on Android, so it's not applicable to me.

I can compensate for the low volume by cranking up the phone volume to its max setting. I guess having to do that is better than having a really hot gain setting and blowing an amp or speaker with a distorted or over-driven signal. I just have to remember to turn the phone volume back down when I'm done.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Rousch 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #15
daytonaviolet
Major
daytonaviolet's Avatar
Philippines
708
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2017 F85 X5M
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by va335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
i'm guessing pandora/prime is coming from your iphone while in carplay mode wifi/bt mode. strange i'm not seeing these volume issues on my car.

What model of Iphone do you have? Yours not having this issue leads me to believe that the problem is my Phone. Thanks
Ipxs max ios 13 beta 8. Perhaps sync another phone to the car and give it a try.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST