Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Turn your WiFi antenna sideways to slip it in between the unit. Like this
I had to remove the WiFi antenna and USB cable all together because otherwise it wouldn't fit in the slot above NBT. Does anyone have a picture of how the unit and NBT is placed together?
I had to place it above plastic divider because there was no room inside of the compartment.
I don't have a pic but was able to fit it behind the NBT unit.. just have to put it in vertically
I figured it would be difficult to make the picture of the unit behind NBT
Did you arrange the cables in a specific way? I tried it too, but gave up thinking there not enough space behind NBT.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #596
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Turn your WiFi antenna sideways to slip it in between the unit. Like this
I had to remove the WiFi antenna and USB cable all together because otherwise it wouldn't fit in the slot above NBT. Does anyone have a picture of how the unit and NBT is placed together?
I had to place it above plastic divider because there was no room inside of the compartment.
I don't have a pic but was able to fit it behind the NBT unit.. just have to put it in vertically
I figured it would be difficult to make the picture of the unit behind NBT
Did you arrange the cables in a specific way? I tried it too, but gave up thinking there not enough space behind NBT.
I bunched them up and tried to get them on the sides.. But ultimately I just shoved them in
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #597
ajrocklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i MSport

I am selling my brand new NBT unit if anyone is interested. I never powered it on, it is not compatible with my screen. $327.29, free shipping (US only). Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #598
david_594
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 40e

Has anyone had experience installing this on a vehicle with the Bang and Olufsen stereo?

Just wanting to make sure it will be compatible before I purchase one.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #599
travellingkiwi
Rep
Drives: f15 e87 fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrocklin View Post
I am selling my brand new NBT unit if anyone is interested. I never powered it on, it is not compatible with my screen. $327.29, free shipping (US only). Thanks.
NBT (Circa 2015)? Or NBT EVO (ID5/ID6) ?

H
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #600
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_594 View Post
Has anyone had experience installing this on a vehicle with the Bang and Olufsen stereo?

Just wanting to make sure it will be compatible before I purchase one.
Yes it's compatible.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #601
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingkiwi View Post
NBT (Circa 2015)? Or NBT EVO (ID5/ID6) ?

H
NBT
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #602
hlrzr
Love the X5, but R1 is life!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i M-Sport

So it looks like mine's for sale also. I didn't think I'd be going with extended warranty after the original was done but I will. Adding this will most likely void my car's warranty so... either wait till it's up or sell now.

I'm in Canada but make me an offer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #603
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrzr View Post
So it looks like mine's for sale also. I didn't think I'd be going with extended warranty after the original was done but I will. Adding this will most likely void my car's warranty so... either wait till it's up or sell now.

May want to check with that .... my warranty place had no issue with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #604
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

Lol it's not gonna void any warranty. It has ZERO affect in your NBT unit. It just plugs in line from the NBT to the output screen on your dash. When you long press a button it just changed the "input" that your screen displays. Bmw wont have a clue it's there and if they did see it guarantee they would just think it's the oem CarPlay.

Now if your NBT unit fails (highly unlikely) and you need to take your car in to have it messed with then ya I would definitely remove it. But it's not hard to install and uninstall. Maybe 30 min of effort.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 3
      09-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #605
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your tip, I was able to place it behind NBT unit. I checked the switches and after I set switch 8 ON I have backup camera in both modes.

Only thing is when I approach the objects in front of the car I can hear beeps, but don't see my 360 deg cameras in CarPlay mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #606
x6spacegrey
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
Installed it on Saturday, and so far I have been really impressed with the product.

The install was pretty straight forward, and I followed the video on Page 2 or 3 of this thread. Like many others I had trouble fitting everything in at the end. First, I tried putting it on top of the Head Unit, but I just couldn't get it to work. Eventually I managed to place it behind the head unit, but I was not able to neatly package the wires (I kind of stuffed all the wires into one of the sides).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #607
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Angry

Quote:
Thanks for your tip, I was able to place it behind NBT unit. I checked the switches and after I set switch 8 ON I have backup camera in both modes.

Only thing is when I approach the objects in front of the car I can hear beeps, but don't see my 360 deg cameras in CarPlay mode.
Yup this is one of the biggest gripes with this unit. I always turned on the front cam when pulling into parking spots and now we can't do that either. You have to long press back to get to iDrive and then press the camera button.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #608
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup this is one of the biggest gripes with this unit. I always turned on the front cam when pulling into parking spots and now we can't do that either. You have to long press back to get to iDrive and then press the camera button.
I wish they come up with solution for this issue, but I think I can live with that. Now I need to get rid of my android and buy me an iPhone
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #609
hlrzr
Canada
Rep

Hey, when you guys were putting the unit in, did you disconnect your -ve from the battery or were you able to work on this with it connected? If disconnected, what is needed to bring the car back to operational - assuming one has to do some coding or authorization (my Acura needed to have the radio code re-entered as part of the anti-theft feature when the battery was disconnected or the radio didn't see power.)

Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #610
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, when you guys were putting the unit in, did you disconnect your -ve from the battery or were you able to work on this with it connected? If disconnected, what is needed to bring the car back to operational - assuming one has to do some coding or authorization (my Acura needed to have the radio code re-entered as part of the anti-theft feature when the battery was disconnected or the radio didn't see power.)

Thx
I did not disconnect the battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #611
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
It’s better to disconnect the battery. Always disconnect the battery when working on electrics/electronics
      09-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #612
hlrzr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
So I just finished Installing this unit.. It was quite handful. Moreover, I noticed two main problems after the installation... the backup camera doesn't come up when I put it on reverse! And I cant hear the caller when I make a call with CarPlay!! Very disappointed with those two things now, not sure if I did something wrong. I will have to ask support from Joyeauto. Will report if these issues get resolved.
Your install looks flawless. I tried copying this but ended up just shoving everything into the cubbyhole. Yeah, it’s going to make upgrades a pita but if the right upgrade comes around I’ll definitely go through that.

Now to figure out why YouTube, Plex, and other apps just show a blank screen. Carbridge isn’t working as it should - no multitasking avail either, just the ability to change icons spots, mirroring, and columns.

Thx DeeO for putting this together and everyone for encouraging me to just install it.
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #613
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:
Correct if you want to direct connect to apple carplay you need to connect to their usb supplied in the kit, and that can be run into the glove box. Or you would need a larger usb cable to do so.

Otherwise you can use the OEM one in the center armrest glove box but that is just for the NBT system.
Thank you both!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #614
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
I want in. I was considering doing a NBT2 Evo retrofit but after seeing the costs involved I realized it's not feasible.

All I really want it apple car play since my phone is jailbroken. Streaming youtube will solve all my music requirements.

My car is an F06 (M6 Gran coupe) From my understanding, it works on all F Chassis.

Let me know how I can get in.
The GB is closed, but if ajrocklin decides not to upgrade his, make him an offer https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=575
We should put off rounding up more group buys until we see if we can get some software updates. I fear that if everyone gets a unit there won't be any incentive for anyone to fix our issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #615
FredRat
Rep
Drives: 2014 328XI

Smile Enable Front Camera (aftermarket)

I have aftermarket front and rear cameras.

I found that the front camera had to be enabled (set to ON) in the Joyeauto setup program everytime that the car was started, which did work.

I contacted Joyeauto, and they were very helpful and instructed me to set DIP switch 3 to ON. After doing that the front camera works and I don't have to go into the settings to enable it every time.

Still pretty happy with the product.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #616
hlrzr
Canada
Rep

Anyone notice the a/c start squealing a bit more after the install? I’m sure it has nothing to do with the unit but am wondering if I could have pinched something or if dust would have got in the bearings or something. The squeal comes and goes and is mostly noticeable in a silent car.
Appreciate 0