03-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Llumar Air 80 for windshield

Hey guys,

With this Florida heat and looking for ways to help keep car cool, I started looking at the*Llumar Air 80. It's designed for windshields and supposedly is clear with a very light tint of blue.*

Does anyone have this? I found one thread about it on another forum and the only complaint I saw was people who have it arguing the headlights from cars make the orange peel look obvious, and other owners saying they don't have this issue, so perhaps the installer is to blame. Not sure...

Looking for anyone who has it to chime in on its ability to actually lower heat/temps in the car. It's not legal in Florida, but I'm not worried about that. lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

I either have the Stratos or Pinnicle Ceramic tint both of which are Llumar products. I think my cousin who owns a tint shop said it blocked out more than the air series you mentioned but does cost a little more. It definitely blocks out more heat but I still leave the sun shade on the dash because I have leather and want to prolong the life of it regardless of having Ceramic tint. I don't have any issues with the orange peel look with on coming cars at night. Maybe those who reported it had a bad roll of film or bad job. Most reputable shops should offer a lifetime warranty.
      03-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I have the pinnacle ceramic as well. 70%. Love it. I have had consistent issue with a small strip of orange peel but after having the shop replace three times I gave up. It doesn't sit in my FOV and I only see it if I look down low so I moved on. I have lifetime warranty so if I decided later on to complain I always can but it is a very large piece of film and ceramic is much thicker than any other film.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have pinnacle ceramic on the corvette. that's the dark (typical) tint. That's going on the front windows actually tomorrow to match the factory rear tint.

this one is a bluish tint designed for windshield. it blocks 99% of UV, so should prolong life of dash too.

https://www.aptinting.com/windshield...r-air-blue-80/
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

I have Llumar Air 80 installed on the windshield of my X5 and also in my wife's car. Summer heat here is brutal. With some days above 110 degrees we need all the help we can get.

We have ceramic tints on the sides and definitely I saw and improvement when we did the windshields. HUD works without any issues as well. No halos or weird stuff at night from incoming headlights, just make sure you get a top notch installer that knows what he's doing.

I say go for it, you can't really tell it is there so I wouldn't worry about it much.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
blasterman78
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I have it also on my windshield, it's been about 2 years since it was installed. I did get the some glare at night and orange peel effect when it was first applied but that either went away or I don't notice it. one benefit is that it makes the hud more viable when you have polarized sunglasses on. oh, and the heat reduction is very noticable. summer here is in the 90-110's.

forgot to mention only difference from outside looking in is that it is much more reflective than glass alone.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Interesting. I was told it makes the hud little too reflective and odd looking. That's why I never did it for the corvette.

I'm gonna go for it. I wanted it on the past 3 cars and always passed on it. X5, I'll give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #8
blasterman78
Rep

I took a picture so you can get an idea, I can take one at night also.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
blasterman78
Rep

I took a picture so you can get an idea, I can take one at night also.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I have the pinnacle ceramic as well. 70%. Love it. I have had consistent issue with a small strip of orange peel but after having the shop replace three times I gave up. It doesn't sit in my FOV and I only see it if I look down low so I moved on. I have lifetime warranty so if I decided later on to complain I always can but it is a very large piece of film and ceramic is much thicker than any other film.
I have my front windows done 35% Pinnacle Ceramic from a shop done right down the street from me and had a great experience. Looking at getting the windshield and sunroof done - How much did the windshield cost and what do you do about the VA inspection sticker? Does it stick on to the film without damaging or do they cut out a rectangle for it?
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
what do you do about the VA inspection sticker? Does it stick on to the film without damaging or do they cut out a rectangle for it?
In NY we have inspection stickers and registration stickers. I buy these huge tablet screen protectors and cut them to size. I get whatever is cheapest which means I can get a couple years worth of windshield stickers for a couple dollars. I go to a indy shop I know to do my inspection so they let me put the inspection sticker on a film before sticking it on.

In fact I found the screen protector method to be so good I use them on all my cars even ones without windshield film. The state stickers all seems to have adhesive that gets unsticky or disgusting after a few months in the sun, but don't have this problem when there is a plastic screen protector in between.
BimmerTy191.50
      03-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #12
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
In NY we have inspection stickers and registration stickers. I buy these huge tablet screen protectors and cut them to size. I get whatever is cheapest which means I can get a couple years worth of windshield stickers for a couple dollars. I go to a indy shop I know to do my inspection so they let me put the inspection sticker on a film before sticking it on.

In fact I found the screen protector method to be so good I use them on all my cars even ones without windshield film. The state stickers all seems to have adhesive that gets unsticky or disgusting after a few months in the sun, but don't have this problem when there is a plastic screen protector in between.
That's a great idea! Never thought about it. It was a hassle to remove those inspection stickers on windshield. I always use goo-gone and windshield scrubber to remove the older stickers.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
That's a great idea! Never thought about it. It was a hassle to remove those inspection stickers on windshield. I always use goo-gone and windshield scrubber to remove the older stickers.
I got this idea from my time driving in China, where tinting your windshield isn't illegal; the insurance companies actually give these inspection sticker films out to their customers. That's when I decided to do this screen protector method back home.

Some cheaper screen protectors might leave a thin film of adhesive on the windshield, but it's nothing that requires GooGone or adhesive remover. I just wipe the adhesive off with a wet paper towel. I guess maybe not the cheapest thing you can find. I usually buy name brand one (like Spigen) but for an obsolete product like a first generation iPad or Surface tablet.

My advice is to make sure you trim the screen protector well because I think this is more illegal than windshield film.
      03-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I had Airblue 80 installed on the windshield of my Highlander. It does cut glare and reduces eye strain.

Everything becomes tinted blue, and I do get some reflection at night due to the car's screen.. but not annoying.

Vision is not distorted, but it is tough to get a dust free application due to the size of the film being brought inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #15
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had it done today. paid 100 for it. got the front sides pinnacle with 25%.

I can't believe this air 80. I can barely tell it's there. there is a slight bluish hue, but it's there because I know it. there are some water bubbles in couple spots, but I know they will go away. Curious how it'll be when it fully cures in few days and at night. I'm in love

they have a heatlamp there where you can put the tints under it to see how much of the heat it cuts down. the air 80 probably cut half of the heat from the heatlamp. the pinnacle and this new one they recently came out with cleared out just about all of the heat.

pretty amazing with this air 80 though. I highly recommend it.
Appreciate 2
endo_r113.50
alphaod1148.00
      03-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #16
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

I have llumar air 80 on all rear windows. Front doors I have 20 ceramic and 50 ceramic on the window. It's perfect to me. AC stays at 74 in the summer. After tinting, the car cools down much faster and stays cooler then the AC is set to.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #17
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I have my front windows done 35% Pinnacle Ceramic from a shop done right down the street from me and had a great experience. Looking at getting the windshield and sunroof done - How much did the windshield cost and what do you do about the VA inspection sticker? Does it stick on to the film without damaging or do they cut out a rectangle for it?
Don't remember off the top of my head. I had it and the side windows down. I want to say $150. And I'm a Florida resident so don't need to put a sticker on. Glad too cuz they just changed from the top middle to the bottom corner. That would have been two holes. Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
BimmerTy191.50
      03-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #18
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post

I can't believe this air 80. I can barely tell it's there. there is a slight bluish hue, but it's there because I know it. there are some water bubbles in couple spots, but I know they will go away. Curious how it'll be when it fully cures in few days and at night. I'm in love

they have a heatlamp there where you can put the tints under it to see how much of the heat it cuts down. the air 80 probably cut half of the heat from the heatlamp. the pinnacle and this new one they recently came out with cleared out just about all of the heat.

I'm glad you got it done, great use of $100
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #19
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post

I don't know which version I have, but I remember I chose the one that said it could block 90% (or something like that) of the heat. I have the 70 tint for the windshield and front sides. I do remember they had a sample with lamp behind it and I couldn't feel the heat at all. Cost me $200 for the windshield and $85 for the sides; to this day it's been working great.

Never had problems with HUD looking weird.
BimmerTy191.50
      09-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
kstinmb
It's always something.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive40e & 2014 i3

Was the film applied inside or outside in the windshield?
If outside, does it show wiper tracks after while from the sand and grit that falls on the windshield?

Thx,
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #21
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinmb View Post
If outside, does it show wiper tracks after while from the sand and grit that falls on the windshield?

Thx,
Tint is only applied inside, regardless of window.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #22
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinmb View Post

Thx,
It's tint not a protection film.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0